OGXbox.com

Original fan is 12v?

BlackIvan

Hi! I just picked up a 1.0 that a guy was selling as not tested. It had never been opened and you could see the dust from the side of the case, so I decided to open it up to clean it and check the clock capacitor before actually testing it.

The thing is, when I took out the fan the sticker on the bottom was this one in photo. And the tiny cpu cooler fan seems to be 12v too. I've ever heard that og fans were 6v, but as the fan I removed from this 1.0 was spinning like it was new, I tested it on my TSOP flashed 1.2 and it worked just like the previous one. 

So are the og fans actually 12v while the system gives 6v, or is the 1.0 being different? If it was so, a new 70mm 12v fan shouldn't need to be set to much more percentage than the original.

20201203_192651.jpg

If you are going to change the rear fan just be aware that some of the silent type fans don't move enough air to cool the Xbox properly unless you run them full speed, Then they make more noise than the stock fan.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

18 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

[...] The tiny GPU runs always at 12v. [...]

Are you sure about this? To my knowledge the GPU fan doesn't actually receive the full 12V, it's closer to 6V as stated by op. This means it doesn't spin at full speed and you can't use a 5V fan because it will eventually fry due to over-voltage.

5 hours ago, NightBreeze said:

To my knowledge the GPU fan doesn't actually receive the full 12V, it's closer to 6V as stated by op

The GPU fan on a version 1.0 is running on 12 volt, The CPU fan has a transistor to control the fan speed and the voltage can read between 5 (10%)to 12 volt (100%)

The GPU fan connector is also a good spot get power from on a version 1.0 - 1.4 to run LED's from as it is a switched 12 volt straight from the PSU.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

@sweetdarkdestinyI was wondering if you had verified it yourself. I have seen many claim it's ~6V but haven't gotten around to checking it. It also doesn't need to move much air because the heatsink by itself is almost enough. And if you change to the slightly larger GPU heatsink there's definitely no need for a fan.

Well, since you're sure, and SS_Dave is sure, I don't want to be one spreading misinformation. Unfortunately my multimeter has broken down, so I couldn't fully verify, the best I could do was an observability study and indeed it would seem to be 12V or close to it. Thanks for setting me straight!

Edited by NightBreeze