OGXbox.com

Wireless controller mod

BlackIvan

Not sure if this is the right place to post this. Also, if it's stupid I'm sorry, I don't really know anything about electronics yet.

I'm thinking about the possibility to convert the memory units ports of the S controller to put in a lithium battery and something like a bluetooth transmitter. I'm totally noob, so actually I don't know if this would actually work, with a usb bluetooth receiver plugged in or wired to one of the controller ports. Since it is the original controller no drivers would be needed and it should work like it was plugged in with a cable.

I was also thinking about using the same kind of transmitters that are used in keyboards or mouses.

I made some research on the net but seems that nobody did or even tried doing something like this with an S controller. Is that because this mod won't actually work?

Why not just use a OGX360 with a MS wireless receiver then you can use a Xbox 360 wireless controller or 8BitDO with a Xbox One controller or heavens forbid a PS4 controller.

Also the bluetooth receiver would still need a driver on the Xbox.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

3 hours ago, BlackIvan said:

Since it is the original controller no drivers would be needed

It's not quite that simple. The Xbox would see the USB bluetooth receiver, not the Xbox controller that is wirelessly connected to it. The Xbox would then need a driver for the exact bluetooth adapter you're using, which is a very difficult task. The same obstacle exists if keyboard/mice dongles are used instead. What you're talking about is possible, but would require a considerable amount of background knowledge in order to build.

As Dave said, an ogx360 kit is the best way to accomplish using a wireless controller. Aside from buying a retail 3rd-party wireless controller from back in the day (logitech, madcatz, etc.). The ogx360 presents itself to the Xbox as a standard Xbox controller and translates button presses from a controller (wired or wireless) that is plugged into it. To give you an idea of the scale of this task, the person who made the project is an electrical engineer (by no means a noob) and it involved designing custom circuitry and firmware to get the whole thing running.

More info: https://github.com/Ryzee119/ogx360

Purchase links:

Or you could build you own. all the info including where to get the boards made are on the Ryzee119's github.

Here is 2 variants that I have made the top is the original and the bottom is from a NZ FB member

776797388_99292333_10157534841295679_3781401684001947648_n(1).jpg.e78022e993f1be9792a6cbddc89a6e5c.jpg

or you could also get one from N64freak 

IMG_20200204_120029.thumb.jpg.881c3319d2f3396fb94a91506551e701.jpg

It's plug and play just add you wireless receiver

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Oh I see. It is definitely more difficult than I thought... 

I'm going to buy an OGX360, it is just a it of my budget at the moment. (Consider I would have to buy the board, the adapter and a controller). 

I have a wireless keyboard from Trust that my parents bought to use on the tv. Since it worked out great at first try (even the mouse, that I've heard is difficult to get to work on te xbox) I thought it would be possible to just find a pair of transmitter/receiver that is known to work. But seems that I will have to learn a little bit more about how this things actually work before.

Thanks to you all, I will post here if I end up with some working project

• 2 years later...

Okay, this is probably a mega stupid question, but i just wonder: Obviously it´s possible to create a "reciever"/dongle for the X360 controller´s signals, and re-distribute "the result" to one of the standard inputs/jacks for the O G Xbox´s original controllers. But why is it impossible to take it one step further, with plugging an original controller into "a transmitter" ("dongle" ?) which then would carry the the signal to the forementioned reciever ?. Is it a matter of costs (not a million of users would buy it in 2023 either, so it´s understandable then..) ?. Same signals, same distance, same basic technology, but "sending" added on top of the already existing "recieving".         

1 hour ago, Marty said:

I use XBOX 360 and PS3 controllers on my OGX360.

I highly recommend it.

Only reason I would avoid a dedicated ps3 controller is because the DualShock 3s tend to have the ribbon layer crap out after enough use. I keep having to fix old PS3 controllers and re-placing the trigger buttons is a pain in the ass.

I may be a Xbox "fanboy", but that does´nt mean i hate Playstation by any mean (actually, i´m one of fue who thought that PS3 was worth its 599 $ at its launch date. Xbox at the time went for a "budget friendly" approach and we, the fans, got "The RROD blues" on repeat for six months. And YET, no Blu-ray capacity whatsoever nor memory card reader, even on the expensive models !. -Zip backwards compatibility on the launch day, and even SKIPPED HDMI for "the hardcore budget oriented" peasants !. It was the darkest of times to be a Xbox fan then, but the love for "my old" black box grew even stronger because of it). Anyway, Playstation 1, 2 and 3´s controller´s is okay (not the "Year 1995 special" without sticks though, i hate it !). They´re stylish, easy to get used to, and the rumble effects really wakes you up !. BUT: sorry Sony, They´re NOT comparable with Xbox controllers of ANY generation. PS4 controllers ?. Sure, why not. I´ve never used one, but it looks like the design is very well thought. But they´re just as dirty pricey as the Xbone´s equivalent´s, so i don´t see the point with it ?. I have no urgent need for additional controllers for everyday use at the moment. But i like stuff that´s "a little odd". And if i got "a complete kit" for using one of my old wired original controllers (maybe "The duke" !. That would ROCK !) to O G Xbox in a wireless configuration, i would´nt doubt paying some 60 bucks for it !. I´m i stupid ?. Yes, probably (i even had the idea of using an external controller on PSP,-since its own buttons are a little tiresome to use for longer periods-, but i gave up on that and called a psychatrist instead). But what is "stupidity" game wise really ?. People´s CRAZY for the "Nintendo Switch". - A last gen console that had doubtful specs even on THE RELEASE DAY, with apeshit Pokemon games and no media player, for 400 bucks ! (damn, i´d rather add on a hundred and order an "Atari VCS" if i had to !).       

some versions of the DS3 are a pain to built back. I got a few with a PS3. They were dirty as hell, so took them apart and cleaned them, then the painful step was to put them back together. For some reason cannot get those annoying plastic inserts between the shoulder and triggers to fit.... I also have some that don't have these parts and easier to work on. PS4 or PS5 are much easier to work on

3 hours ago, kapten said:

I may be a Xbox "fanboy", but that does´nt mean i hate Playstation by any mean (actually, i´m one of fue who thought that PS3 was worth its 599 $ at its launch date. Xbox at the time went for a "budget friendly" approach and we, the fans, got "The RROD blues" on repeat for six months. And YET, no Blu-ray capacity whatsoever nor memory card reader, even on the expensive models !. -Zip backwards compatibility on the launch day, and even SKIPPED HDMI for "the hardcore budget oriented" peasants !. It was the darkest of times to be a Xbox fan then, but the love for "my old" black box grew even stronger because of it). Anyway, Playstation 1, 2 and 3´s controller´s is okay (not the "Year 1995 special" without sticks though, i hate it !). They´re stylish, easy to get used to, and the rumble effects really wakes you up !. BUT: sorry Sony, They´re NOT comparable with Xbox controllers of ANY generation. PS4 controllers ?. Sure, why not. I´ve never used one, but it looks like the design is very well thought. But they´re just as dirty pricey as the Xbone´s equivalent´s, so i don´t see the point with it ?. I have no urgent need for additional controllers for everyday use at the moment. But i like stuff that´s "a little odd". And if i got "a complete kit" for using one of my old wired original controllers (maybe "The duke" !. That would ROCK !) to O G Xbox in a wireless configuration, i would´nt doubt paying some 60 bucks for it !. I´m i stupid ?. Yes, probably (i even had the idea of using an external controller on PSP,-since its own buttons are a little tiresome to use for longer periods-, but i gave up on that and called a psychatrist instead). But what is "stupidity" game wise really ?. People´s CRAZY for the "Nintendo Switch". - A last gen console that had doubtful specs even on THE RELEASE DAY, with apeshit Pokemon games and no media player, for 400 bucks ! (damn, i´d rather add on a hundred and order an "Atari VCS" if i had to !).       

They sold PS3 at a loss, and it was a killer deal. Bluray/DVD player, Ps2 hardware, ps1 emulation, WIFI, HDMI, gigabit LAN, optical out, built in power supply, significantly quieter disk drive too, cooling fan not obnoxious like xbox 360. absolutely nobody understood the price. Standalone Bluray player cost more than a PS3 at the time, and ps3 wasn't a cheapass player like xbox 360 is.

PS3 controller was epicly bad. super mushy, clunky "analog triggers", plastic is twisty. RROD on early PS3 is as bad as on early xbox 360.

Edited by prtscn