OGXbox.com

xodus matrix BIOS

zaiem

2 hours ago, zaiem said:

Need to upgrade my original XBOX to SATA harddisk with IDE-SATA adapter

Any BIOS flash recommendation for xodus matrix  modchip?

I do have the programmer and wintool to flash the BIOS, I believe xodus matrix is 256k

The EvoxM8plus.67 is a good all round BIOS as it works with 1.0 - 1.6

If it's a 1.0 -1.4 then the iND5004.67 is also a good option and both are 256kb with up to 2 or 3tbb hdd support.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

The EvoxM8plus.67 is a good all round BIOS as it works with 1.0 - 1.6

If it's a 1.0 -1.4 then the iND5004.67 is also a good option and both are 256kb with up to 2 or 3tbb hdd support.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I think I have between 1.0-1.4 as it was manufactured in 2002-11,  I cannot check the actual since the original HD is damaged.

where would I source the BIOS image?

do I need to load Hexen 19/20 ? to install the new SATA HD or the new BIOS flashed to the xodus Matrix modchip will take care of it to get full potential and produce the "real thing" 😁

35 minutes ago, zaiem said:

I think I have between 1.0-1.4 as it was manufactured in 2002-11,  I cannot check the actual since the original HD is damaged.

The sure fire way to determine the version is to open the Xbox.

As you have a mod chip it really won't make any big difference just use the EvoxM8 bios

where would I source the BIOS image?

Right here

Evox m8+67 No DVD.bin

iND-BiOS.5004.67.bin

do I need to load Hexen 19/20 ? to install the new SATA HD or the new BIOS flashed to the xodus Matrix modchip will take care of it to get full potential and produce the "real thing

Once you have the new BIOS flashed and the new hard drive fitted you then load a install disk(Aid, Slayers, Hexen, OGXbox installer 2021).

The OGXbox installer 2021 was created by a member here and in my view leaves Hexen for dead.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

The OGXbox installer 2021 was created by a member here and in my view leaves Hexen for dead.

Thanks a lot @SS_Dave

I will get PBL version and keep you posted. 

by the way why is it called "Evox m8 + 67  No DVD" , what is no DVD stands for, will I still be able to use my DVD's games and movies 😉

41 minutes ago, zaiem said:

will I still be able to use my DVD's games and movies 

Yes you will, It allows the Xbox to boot without the DVD drive connected

If you want to play a game disk load the disk and power cycle the Xbox and to watch a DVD load the movie or CD and then select the disk.

Cheers

SS Dave

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2020 at 5:15 PM, SS_Dave said:

The sure fire way to determine the version is to open the Xbox.

As you have a mod chip it really won't make any big difference just use the EvoxM8 bios

Right here

Evox m8+67 No DVD.bin 256 kB · 9 downloads

iND-BiOS.5004.67.bin 256 kB · 11 downloads

Once you have the new BIOS flashed and the new hard drive fitted you then load a install disk(Aid, Slayers, Hexen, OGXbox installer 2021).

Cheers

SS Dave

finally I got the chance to install the new SSD Harddisk, and flashed the matrix chip, I insert the OGXBOX 2021 disk, but I ran into few problem:

I tried to boot with the Evox bios but failed (maybe chip alignment problem)

I tried the iND-BIOS, the bios loaded with which background and green lettering.

the new hard drive was recognized and I proceeded with formats .

The OGXBOX menu got displayed and I found out that my XBOX is 1.1, and I installed all major dashboard, and rebooted the system.

I removed the disk, the xbox looded the iND bios screen and then I got a message " ind-BIOS kernel panic error 21: unknonw error", sometime I get the iND-BIOS white backgoround screen and nothing happen

I shut down, insert a game disk and power on, the game loads and play perfectly, but cannot get the dashboard to load!

not sure if I am missing a step or messing the sequence (shutdown/reboot, remove cd) of the steps or maybe I should install some app to get the dashboard loads or could it be the BIOS is not leting the harddrive boots

any advice?

Hey,

you are sure you have flashed the right bios? There are planty of them (~200 in varius configs and setups). And you don't need to install any dashboard after you has formated and set up you HDD because all apps, dashbaords (the major ones) ect. are alredy on yur HDD when you format your HDD. For the matrix I recommend to flash a Evox m8+ CEE (That bios will boot C:\evodash.xbe first).

So best is to start over. Set up you hdd by using : "3.1. Setup a new large HDD".

Now flash the right bios launch  : "2.2. Flash ModChip or TSOP (No Winbond/Sharp TSOP!)." in the installer.  Then choose : "2.2.1. Flash EvoX Bios (XBox v1.0/v1.6b)"

Once EvoX has launched click on " Flash XBox v1.0/v1.5 ModChip/TSOP " -> "Evox m8+ (256)" -> "EvoX m8+ UX Edition" / "Flash - Evox m8+ CEE FG noDVD (256)"

That bios will launch "C:\evodash.xbe" on boot. By default on C is a shortcut which redirects you to E:\Dash\UnleashX\unleashx.xbe as default dashboard.

If you don't like that, you can change that later in the installer using : "6.2. Switch Default Dashboard." and then search for the dashboard you like. On thing you have to make sure is, in case your dashboard isn't (XBMC, XBMC4Gamers, Evox or UnleashX) you have to install it using " "4.4. Install/Reinstall Misc/Single Dashboards.". This option provide all dashboards (as single install) which are on this installer but, I recommend to stay with one of the above.

And here is a "how 2 flash" for you chip I found. Pretty problematic chip one IMO. But you could also flash it in WIndows (XP) if needed!?

[quote]

Your chip has to be in Mode 4 to be able to flash from Evox.

Mode 4 (Dip switch 1 OFF & 2 OFF) (LED: Orange flashing) Write enable
In this mode the Matrix is always active but has the ability to be flash updated via
DVD Rom. We do not recommend you leave this mode on permanently, a bad update
of the flash will mean you will have to reprogram the Matrix via the programmer.

Tutorial written by : XanTium / Prodigal

What you need :

*A modchip that can be flashed via EvolutionX. Only Xodus/Matrix and X-ecuter2 can be flashed via xbox software. All other LPC mods (X-ecuter , OpenXbox/PC-BioXX , Pandora2) can NOT be flashed directly via evox.

*EvolutionX v1.8.2812 or later installed on your xbox HD

1/ Upload bios
Connect to your xbox (ftp) and go to drive "C".
Make a directory called "bios" (without the quotes) in the root. (c:/bios/)
Upload 1 or more bios/kernel versions into this directory. (max 256kb for Xodus/Matrix & 512k for Xecutor2 (per bank))

2/ Check mode
If you have a Matrix/Xodus , make sure your modchip is in mode 4 (write enabled).
If you have a Xecutor2, make sure the the Flash jumper is Off (Flash enable).

3/ Check EvolutionX .ini file
Make sure that the following line is inserted in the .ini file under [BIOS] section:

"Flash = 0xbf61,"SST - 49LF020",0x40000" for Matrix/Xodus
"Flash = 0x01d5,"XECUTER2",0x100000" for Xecutor2

If you don't, you will have the following error "Unknown Flash Type"

3/ Flash modchip
Restart your Xxbox.
In EvoX go to "System Utils" > "Flash BIOS" (standard location if you didn't change this in the evox.ini).
All bios versions uploaded in step1 will now be listed.
Select the bios you want and press "A" and then confirm your action by pressing "Y".
It will flash to your new bios/kernel in less then 5secs, and you Xbox will switch off.

4/ Put mode back
Xodus/Matrix: put mod back to mode1/2/3 , so it's write protected (modchip can't be flashed without you know it)
Xecutor2: put flash jumper back ON , so it's write protected (modchip can't be flashed without you know it)

[/quote]

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny

8 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Hey,

you are sure you have flashed the right bios? There are planty of them (~200 in varius configs and setups). And you don't need to install any dashboard after you has formated and set up you HDD because all apps, dashbaords (the major ones) ect. are alredy on yur HDD when you format your HDD. For the matrix I recommend to flash a Evox m8+ CEE (That bios will boot C:\evodash.xbe first).

So best is to start over. Set up you hdd by using : "3.1. Setup a new large HDD".

Now flash the right bios launch  : "2.2. Flash ModChip or TSOP (No Winbond/Sharp TSOP!)." in the installer.  Then choose : "2.2.1. Flash EvoX Bios (XBox v1.0/v1.6b)"

Once EvoX has launched click on " Flash XBox v1.0/v1.5 ModChip/TSOP " -> "Evox m8+ (256)" -> "EvoX m8+ UX Edition" / "Flash - Evox m8+ CEE FG noDVD (256)"

That bios will launch "C:\evodash.xbe" on boot. By default on C is a shortcut which redirects you to E:\Dash\UnleashX\unleashx.xbe as default dashboard.

If you don't like that, you can change that later in the installer using : "6.2. Switch Default Dashboard." and then search for the dashboard you like. On thing you have to make sure is, in case your dashboard isn't (XBMC, XBMC4Gamers, Evox or UnleashX) you have to install it using " "4.4. Install/Reinstall Misc/Single Dashboards.". This option provide all dashboards (as single install) which are on this installer but, I recommend to stay with one of the above.

And here is a "how 2 flash" for you chip I found. Pretty problematic chip one IMO. But you could also flash it in WIndows (XP) if needed!?

[quote]

Your chip has to be in Mode 4 to be able to flash from Evox.

Mode 4 (Dip switch 1 OFF & 2 OFF) (LED: Orange flashing) Write enable
In this mode the Matrix is always active but has the ability to be flash updated via
DVD Rom. We do not recommend you leave this mode on permanently, a bad update
of the flash will mean you will have to reprogram the Matrix via the programmer.

Tutorial written by : XanTium / Prodigal

What you need :

*A modchip that can be flashed via EvolutionX. Only Xodus/Matrix and X-ecuter2 can be flashed via xbox software. All other LPC mods (X-ecuter , OpenXbox/PC-BioXX , Pandora2) can NOT be flashed directly via evox.

*EvolutionX v1.8.2812 or later installed on your xbox HD

1/ Upload bios
Connect to your xbox (ftp) and go to drive "C".
Make a directory called "bios" (without the quotes) in the root. (c:/bios/)
Upload 1 or more bios/kernel versions into this directory. (max 256kb for Xodus/Matrix & 512k for Xecutor2 (per bank))

2/ Check mode
If you have a Matrix/Xodus , make sure your modchip is in mode 4 (write enabled).
If you have a Xecutor2, make sure the the Flash jumper is Off (Flash enable).

3/ Check EvolutionX .ini file
Make sure that the following line is inserted in the .ini file under [BIOS] section:

"Flash = 0xbf61,"SST - 49LF020",0x40000" for Matrix/Xodus
"Flash = 0x01d5,"XECUTER2",0x100000" for Xecutor2

If you don't, you will have the following error "Unknown Flash Type"

3/ Flash modchip
Restart your Xxbox.
In EvoX go to "System Utils" > "Flash BIOS" (standard location if you didn't change this in the evox.ini).
All bios versions uploaded in step1 will now be listed.
Select the bios you want and press "A" and then confirm your action by pressing "Y".
It will flash to your new bios/kernel in less then 5secs, and you Xbox will switch off.

4/ Put mode back
Xodus/Matrix: put mod back to mode1/2/3 , so it's write protected (modchip can't be flashed without you know it)
Xecutor2: put flash jumper back ON , so it's write protected (modchip can't be flashed without you know it)

[/quote]

Thank you @sweetdarkdestiny I appreciate your help and effort to develop and support OGXBOX2021 installer.

To answer your question I got my evox m8 and iND-Bios thanks to @SS_Dave👆 up in the thread was very helpful. and tried to flash them through the 9v programmer on pc. it would be better to do it now through the installer, as I don't want to mess with chip alignment.

I currently have OGXBox Installer 2021 UX PBL v1.0.2, I followed your instruction and setup new HDD...files were copied and then I got the screen for extended partion and I click start to format that partition, and then "B".

I shutdown and set the chip to 1 OFF 2 OFF (red&green flashing together...I guess this is orange🧠).

I went to "2.1.1 flash EvoX Bios"....I got the following error:

unable to launch "D:\misc\flashbios\evox.xbe" file does not exists

I tried to "5.2.1 Bios" and I got 7 tools to select from, not sure where to go from here.

many thanks

Old version (1.0.2) old fixed bug (And many many changes were made to the installer). The lates is 1.1.6. You can download the latest version without waiting time here : https://1fichier.com/dir/mX1kipIz

The bioses from Dave are fine. Problem is, the old version of the installer didn't match with that bios (c:\evoXdash.xbe, c:\AvaDash.xbe, c:\neXgen.xbe) and on the 1.0.2 isn't a working shortcut on c.

On 12/22/2020 at 10:54 AM, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Old version (1.0.2) old fixed bug (And many many changes were made to the installer). The lates is 1.1.6. You can download the latest version without waiting time here : https://1fichier.com/dir/mX1kipIz

The bioses from Dave are fine. Problem is, the old version of the installer didn't match with that bios (c:\evoXdash.xbe, c:\AvaDash.xbe, c:\neXgen.xbe) and on the 1.0.2 isn't a working shortcut on c.

Thanks @sweetdarkdestiny

so I got the latest 1.1.6 installer DHCP (hopefully I can set static if I need to), followed you previous instructions for BIOS installation

I read the BIOS info for Evox not sure whats the difference between Flash - Evox m8+ CEE FG noDVD (256)  and ECC, or any of the others for that matter.

I would like to keep on using my "still working" DVD drive for now (movies, games...boot)

thankx

update: I flashed with Flash - Evox m8+ CEE FG noDVD (256) per instruction, after flash the XBOX shutdown.

I power-up I got the the blue XBOX screen, the I got the black background green lettering (call you service....)

I cannot boot with cd anymore, looks like I am back to square 1 on removing the chip flashing it manually with @SS_Dave (iND-BIOS) via the programmer on PC and hopefully realign it again on the board.

Edited by zaiem

The DHCP is in the installer DHCP, you can change DHCP to static in the dashboards you install but not in the installer, for that is the Static Installer version.

The diefferen is that an EEC bios boot a dashboard from E (E:\Dash\Unleash\unleashx.xbe) and C (C:\evoxdash.xbe] from the C Partiotion. Default since 1.1.6 is CEE.

After that install with the DVD (1.1.6) and your box must boot. Me and others (eightball, Dave, me ... ) have done it with my disc several times and the disc is working if you use it right.

And noDVD (info is in the text I wrote in the installer) just meens it disable the need for an DVD drive in case it fails. You can boot/cold boot what ever DVD you like with a noDVD bios.

And what error massage you get (Number?).

7 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

The DHCP is in the installer DHCP, you can change DHCP to static in the dashboards you install but not in the installer, for that is the Static Installer version.

The diefferen is that an EEC bios boot a dashboard from E (E:\Dash\Unleash\unleashx.xbe) and C (C:\evoxdash.xbe] from the C Partiotion. Default since 1.1.6 is CEE.

After that install with the DVD (1.1.6) and your box must boot. Me and others (eightball, Dave, me ... ) have done it with my disc several times and the disc is working if you use it right.

And noDVD (info is in the text I wrote in the installer) just meens it disable the need for an DVD drive in case it fails. You can boot/cold boot what ever DVD you like with a noDVD bios.

And what error massage you get (Number?).

The disk worked fine just before I flashed the chip with Evox m8+ CEE FG noDVD (256) .

now, I cannot boot to the dashboard nore to the DVD nore to any game cd, I am getting 07 error

IMG_20201224_141718~2.jpg

IMG1.jpg

Error 07:

Problem: Hard drive timeout / HDD took too long to become ready.

Cause/Solution: The Xbox seems to know the HDD is present but it times-out waiting for the drive to become ready and respond to commands. This is probably due to a loose connection or faulty wire. See the solution for Error Code 08. If you're using a SATA to IDE adapter, it's possible that the adapter you're using is not compatible with the drive you're using or isn't compatible with the Xbox at all. Try another SATA to IDE adapter / HDD combination. Some "green" drives are temperamental with certain SATA adapters. This error may also be caused if you have a SATA to IDE adapter and you are not using an 80 pin IDE cable (by default, they are 40 pin cables). Or, the console's DVD drive is bad preventing access to the hard drive via the IDE bus. Swap the DVD drive with one from a different Xbox. They are all interchangeable.

Screen of the bios config : https://imgur.com/a/MINLscJ

I would say either dead hard drive or a bad connection somewhere (maybe the chip alignment not 100%).

Since you have an ST TSOP, why not flash it instead of fighing with that modchip?

EDIT :  Forgot to say that I use the same bios "Evox m8+ CEE FG noDVD (256kb)" on one of my xboxes. I had to flash it to fix the Switch Dash option in the installer. So bios works 100%.

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny

3 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Error 07:

Problem: Hard drive timeout / HDD took too long to become ready.

Cause/Solution: The Xbox seems to know the HDD is present but it times-out waiting for the drive to become ready and respond to commands. This is probably due to a loose connection or faulty wire. See the solution for Error Code 08. If you're using a SATA to IDE adapter, it's possible that the adapter you're using is not compatible with the drive you're using or isn't compatible with the Xbox at all. Try another SATA to IDE adapter / HDD combination. Some "green" drives are temperamental with certain SATA adapters. This error may also be caused if you have a SATA to IDE adapter and you are not using an 80 pin IDE cable (by default, they are 40 pin cables). Or, the console's DVD drive is bad preventing access to the hard drive via the IDE bus. Swap the DVD drive with one from a different Xbox. They are all interchangeable.

thank your for your reply,

my current setup is 2.5 120GB SATA HDD with SATA-IDE adaptor, 80pin cable, battery capacitor removed.

Before I flashed from the new 1.1.6, I booted with iND-BIOS provided from @SS_Dave (chip is aligned otherwise it wont boot) and to the DVD, I tried to follow your installation instruction on the old 1.0.2 installer and went on with "install new HDD" and I proceeded with installing a new HDD and format the extended partition, but I did not flash. no error message so far

I shut down and booted to the dashboard. I inserted a game cd (several) all played. I even tried to copy one iso to the HDD and played without the game cd inserted.

now I booted from 1.1.6, and I proceeded with installing a new HDD and format the extended partition, The Xbox booted to the 1.1.6 installer DVD and recognized the HDD and format. then I went in and flashed with Evox m8+ CEE FG noDVD (256) , after flash the system shutdown.

I powered up and I got the blue XBOX logo and then 07 error

2 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Here is a video made for you where I flash the bios live and in color to proof that the bios is fine: https://youtu.be/DWIEYNt7ufo

Thank you, all the steps on the this video I did, but when I reach the end I get 07.

this problem occurred also when I flashed with evox m8 provided from Dave.

maybe the chip is not compatible with this BIOS.

just to let you know before the original HDD crashed , if I remember correctly when the XBOX boots I used to get "Xcuter2" under the XBOX logo on the splash screen and then I get the original dashboard. I dont have that BIOS anymore.

4 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Take the chip and flash it with the PC and use Daves iND bios and see what happens.

And you can falsh the m8+ to the Matrix Chip

I took the chip out, I flashed it with Dave Evox m8 (did not boot) 

I flashed it with Dave iND-BIOS 5004 it worked and booted to the dashboard...games runs fine.

but  when I power-up and boot to the dashboard even when the XBOX is dead cold the fan is running at 5x and keeps running at that speed all the time.

The CPU and chipset temp are in ~35C now.

if I boot to OBGXBOX installer, the fan would run at slower speed not sure how many x's.

I tried to setup the fan speed from system setting and it was 1.5x.

update: I have installed OGXBox Installer 2021 UX PBL v1.0.2 and the fan is running 1.5x, with cpu/chipsets temp ~45C...it is possibly the dashboard on 1.1.6 needs some tweak.

Edited by zaiem

3 hours ago, zaiem said:

I flashed it with Dave iND-BIOS 5004 it worked and booted to the dashboard...games runs fine.

but  when I power-up and boot to the dashboard even when the XBOX is dead cold the fan is running at 5x and keeps running at that speed all the time.

That's relatively easy to fix 

On the Xbox C drive there is a file called ind-bios.cfg

copy it to your pc and open with a text editor 

The 11th line down is the fan speed

FANSPEED=10            ;Fan Speed   10-50 = 20-100%                    Default=10

change it then FTP it back to the Xbox and reboot.

Cheers

SS Dave