OGXbox.com

yet another tsop flash failure

Naokhan

Hello from France.

first i have to say that i'm happy to see an active community around the OG Xbox.

so i'm on a xbox period for learning hacking and i did a mistake on a v1.1 motherboard. i learned too late that 1.0 and 1.1 have 1Mo tsop size and i flashed manually with a 256ko custom ind-bios...

i don't want to setup a modchip as i try to learn stuff. i really would like to recover the tsop bios.

so right now, the xbox boot with no signal on TV, i hear hdd and dvd running, when i put hexen disk i can see led turning red as intended.

i tried to split tsop into 2x512 and 4x256 banks, nothing works.

i esitate to buy a xblast modchip as it worth around 25€...

i heard about a 28/29 wires modchip tricks but i found no info about it.

any other option i could try with my current stuff ? i have an x3 and aladdin modchip but i read i cant flash tsop from a modchip beside chameleon and xblast one.

thanks in advance.

What software did you use to flash the 256KB BIOS to the TSOP?

Many of the apps actually write the BIOS to the flash chip multiple times to fill the entire chip no matter the size of the BIOS.  For a 1MB TSOP, it writes 4 copies one after the other to fill the entire flash chip.

I believe Gentoox Loader and others like Cromwell or FlashBIOS; however, do not resize the BIOS's dot bin file.  

Forcing v1.0-1.1 TSOP Bank Selection as a FIX

Try what @sweetdarkdestinysuggests by adding 2 wires to force the address lines high to read only 1 bank of the flash. 

Is that what you say you have already done?

If not, here's a 29-wire mod tutorial and wiring diagrams.  At a minimum, you need a 256KB EPROM or EEPROM programmed with a modified Xbox BIOS to be able to reflash the motherboard's TSOP flash memory chip.  Disable the 29-wire mod after booting the console. If you don't have a PC with a socket as mentioned in the tutorial to program the flash chip, you will need an external programmer such as a TL866 II plus Univeral programmer with or without additional adapters according to which chips you are programming.

Here's an example of the soldering required to install a 29-wire mod on the bottom of the motherboard where all the connections are available.

Which brand of flash chip is on your motherboard?

4 hours ago, Naokhan said:

Hello from France.

first i have to say that i'm happy to see an active community around the OG Xbox.

so i'm on a xbox period for learning hacking and i did a mistake on a v1.1 motherboard. i learned too late that 1.0 and 1.1 have 1Mo tsop size and i flashed manually with a 256ko custom ind-bios...

i don't want to setup a modchip as i try to learn stuff. i really would like to recover the tsop bios.

so right now, the xbox boot with no signal on TV, i hear hdd and dvd running, when i put hexen disk i can see led turning red as intended.

i tried to split tsop into 2x512 and 4x256 banks, nothing works.

i esitate to buy a xblast modchip as it worth around 25€...

i heard about a 28/29 wires modchip tricks but i found no info about it.

any other option i could try with my current stuff ? i have an x3 and aladdin modchip but i read i cant flash tsop from a modchip beside chameleon and xblast one.

thanks in advance.

Another posibility

Did you remove the softmod after flashing the TSOP?

If not, boot Hexen 2018 and use option 3.5.2. Clean C partition after TSOP flash to do so.

1 hour ago, KaosEngineer said:

If not, here's a 29-wire mod tutorial and wiring diagrams.  At a minimum, you need a 256KB EPROM or EEPROM programmed with a modified Xbox BIOS to be able to reflash the motherboard's TSOP flash memory chip.  Disable the 29-wire mod after booting the console. If you don't have a PC with a socket as mentioned in the tutorial to program the flash chip, you will need an external programmer such as a TL866 II plus Univeral programmer with or without additional adapters according to which chips you are programming.

That's more expanisve as getting a OpenXenium or one of the XBlast. ;) 

If he don't care about to recover the TSOP the cheapst ist to get an simple LPC2 mod chip which works fine on 1.0./1.1/1.6 consoles.  I never had a bad TSOP flash (and hopyfully will not have one) so i realy can't say anything more to this. Maybe Dave has an idea or alreay know what to do to recover the TSOP for cheap.

* I should integrate such an option as well in the OGXBOx isntaller. Never thought about ppl who still have a softmod on the drive and TSOP/CHip mod then. Hmmm.... *

17 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

* I should integrate such an option as well in the OGXBOX installer. Never thought about ppl who still have a softmod on the drive and TSOP/CHip mod then. Hmmm.... *

You have all ready with the recovery mode (Option 5.4)

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

See, you know the installer i made better as me. But thats no wonder after all that beta bombing. ;) Thanks again for that Dave.

EDIT. Haa right. That was because you wanted something that didn't touch the F and G drive. :DSo i called it Recovery.

And there is also the Back To Factory mode. To much work the last days.....

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny

2 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

What software did you use to flash the 256KB BIOS to the TSOP?

Many of the apps actually write the BIOS to the flash chip multiple times to fill the entire chip no matter the size of the BIOS.  For a 1MB TSOP, it writes 4 copies one after the other to fill the entire flash chip.

I believe Gentoox Loader and others like Cromwell or FlashBIOS; however, do not resize the BIOS's dot bin file.  

Forcing v1.0-1.1 TSOP Bank Selection as a FIX

Try what @sweetdarkdestinysuggests by adding 2 wires to force the address lines high to read only 1 bank of the flash. 

Is that what you say you have already done?

Here's an example of the soldering required to install a 29-wire mod on the bottom of the motherboard where all the connections are available.

Which brand of flash chip is on your motherboard?

i used NMS TSOP Flasher v3.0 to flash the 256ko bios

i ll try that 2 wires trick this week end, if not working i ll follow the 29 wire mod tutorial

its a ST flash chip on MB

thanks for the answers, for the moment i put that xbox on side for another xbox (1.0 this one) with a modchip i try to remove for tsop flash.

1 hour ago, KaosEngineer said:

Another posibility

Did you remove the softmod after flashing the TSOP?

If not, boot Hexen 2018 and use option 3.5.2. Clean C partition after TSOP flash to do so.

there were no softmod as i had an ind bios already flashed on the tsop

Edited by Naokhan

5 hours ago, Naokhan said:

for the moment i put that xbox on side for another xbox (1.0 this one) with a modchip i try to remove for tsop flash.

If the modchip is soldered to the main board the I would TSOP flash it with the D0 disconnected and when you are happy the Xbox is working with the TSOP flash then unsolder the modchip, This way if the flash fails you can easily reconnect the D0 to fix it.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

6 hours ago, Naokhan said:

i used NMS TSOP Flasher v3.0 to flash the 256ko bios

From what I see about NMS TSOP Flasher, it uses Evox dash for a non-Winbond flash chip to write the BIOS to the TSOP.  Evoxdash does resize the BIOS's dot bin file to fit the size of the memory chip being written to - see NMS TSOP Flasher & Auto Installer 3.0.

Can you upload the archive of the NMS TSOP Flasher to ogXbox's downloads section?

Thanks.

19 minutes ago, Naokhan said:

if the tsop been flashed with the right size, that mean my bios was corrupted, maybe because i injected a custom .cfg ?

u want me to upload the app ?

If the custom .cfg has a flaw in it's settings, it could prevent the console from booting.  Hard to fix with only 1 bank on the TSOP.  Modchips with 2 or more banks to switch between allow you to test a custom BIOS config and have a fall back if it doesn't work.

Yes, upload the app well the complete archive of NMS TSOP Flasher and Auto Installer 3.0.  I only find the 2.0 release on the xbins FTP server mirror web sites.

16 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

If the custom .cfg has a flaw in it's settings, it could prevent the console from booting.  Hard to fix with only 1 bank on the TSOP.  Modchips with 2 or more banks to switch between allow you to test a custom BIOS config and have a fall back if it doesn't work.

Yes, upload the app well the complete archive of NMS TSOP Flasher and Auto Installer 3.0.  I only find the 2.0 release on the xbins FTP server mirror web sites.

that explain why spliting tsop with switches doesn't work...

upload done :)

• Thanks 1