OGXbox.com

Help With Updating Old Hard Modded Xbox

PV544

Ok here is the story.  My brother just gave me his old xbox.  It has been hard modded a while ago.  It is a version 1.4 with a windbond TSOP.  It is currently running Evolution x 3921.  I have installed bios checker 5.0 and it says the bios is unknown.  Also the MS dashboard can not be loaded.  I would love to update this.  What would be the order to do this.  I read somewhere to run the krayzie one click soft mod installation, which would update the soft mod.  Do I then just re-flash the tsop with the 256 EvoX M8+.   I do have hexen 2017 disc.  Thanks

Thanks for the reply.  I will look at the options on the HeXEn disc again.  Honestly I didn't know where to start. I really don't want to brick my system.  I have a 160gb hdd in this system and everything has been backed up, so if I have to start new I can.  I do plan on installing a 2tb hdd once all of my parts get in.  

BIOS Checker v5.0 doesn't have enough of the BIOS MD5 hashes included in its configuration file to ID a lot of the BIOSes available for the Xbox.  Post a picture of the BIOS Checker's output and I'll see what I can find a match in the large list of BIOS MD5 hashes I have.

MS Dashboard may not be present on the C drive.  Can you FTP into the Xbox and get a directory listing of the folders and files present in the root of the C drive? (Post the output)

Okay, looked through the 1074 MD5 hashes I have and there's no match for the BIOS.  However, that's not impossible because not every possible configuration that could be made is listed.  EvTool and XBTool make one change to the settings or dashboard boot order filenames and the new BIOS would have a different hash.

You said it boots to Evoxdash 3921, What does your screen show the Kernel and BIOS names?  You may have to change skins to have one that shows those values.

An older version of the MS Dashboard is installed - 4920 revision 1012a700 as determined by the presence of the C:\xboxdashdata.1012a700 folder.

Before doing anything else.

Run evoxdash's backup command as I don't see the backup folder.   Then, make a backup of the C and E drive by downloading all the files to your PC before making any other changes.

Edited by KaosEngineer

The kernel is 1.00.4980.06  the bios shows as unknown on all of the skins.  I ran the evox back up and backed up the bios, disk, eeprom, hddinfo and hddkey.  Also everything else is backed up, if I have to start new its no problem.  Thanks

Ok, that's the X2 BIOS 4980.06 must have been modified in some way with XBTool thus no longer has the stock MD5 hash.  Lastest 4983 but most say stick with 4981 instead because Team Xecuter changed encryption method for 4983 and it can't be modified with XBTool anymore.  However, there are better BIOS's for the console M8plus or iND-BiOS 5003 or beta 5004 (not the 06 unless you want a bricked console use 67 version)

Next step, update the dashboard using any game since and including the release of Halo 2.  Boot the original game disk, disconnect the network (possibly not necessary), and enter the Xbox Live section in the menu.  The dashboard updater should start and install MS dashboard version 1.00.5960.01. Most just call it 5960 leaving off the rest. 

You could load the bios.bin backed up by Evoxdash into XBTool v1.0.23a to see the settings.  That version of XBTool may still open 4980 but it may require an older release of the tool.

UPDATE: 4980 does require an older version XBTool v1.0.13b2.

Were the flubber and big X logo coloring stock green or had the colors been customized?

Complete MS Dashboard update then next step, ...

Edited by KaosEngineer

The flubber and xbox logo and xbox letters were all blue instead of green.  I will update the ms dashboard tonight.  I will also use XBTool v1.0.13b2 to see the settings of the bios,  I will take a picture of the screen. Thanks for the help

Dashboard updates:

Evolution-X dashboard latest is version is 3935. Not that it's the best as it has no file manager. An external app must be run to browse the HDD content.

Try UnleashX 0.39.0528A Build 584 (FTP glitch with several FTP clients) or 0.39.0515A Build 572.

XBMC4Xbox v3.5.3

Install any of these as an application to E:/Apps, F:/Apps, etc. Where to install/upload depends on how your dashboard (booting application) is set up to scan and build an Apps/Application menu.

Ok I tried to update the MS dashboard like you said, but it keeps reloading the game instead.  The ms dashboard  4920 revision 1012a700 currently doesn't work.   When I try to load it, I can see the green background, but no floating circle thing with the different options. 

Boot a newer Xbox Live enabled game disc - Halo 2's a good choice but any other Live enabled game since its release should work too.  Make sure it's loaded in the DVD tray and power cycle the Xbox, this way loading the game will be the first thing the Xbox tries to run.  Disconnect the network cable and go into the Xbox Live Section.

Since evoxdash is running you could delete all the old MS dashboard files (audio/, fonts/, xboxdashdata.1012a700/, xodash/ and xboxdash.xbe) then upload all the files of the newer 5960 release to the C drive. 

Download and extract Clean C and E files for Xbox then upload all the files in the extracted C folder to the Xbox's C drive.  E itself here is empty, well has empty folders of UDATA and TDATA .  Therefore, there's nothing to delete, upload or replace on it.  Leave E as is.

Edited by KaosEngineer

Hmm.  From the nfo files I read, the newer versions of XBTool had the ability to open 4980 removed since version 1.0.14.  (https://xbins.org/nfo.php?file=xboxnfo779.nfo)

Anyway, the MD5 hash shown in XBTool needs to be copied and added to evox.ini for Evolution-X dashboard to ID your BIOS and to BIOS Checker v5.0's Bioses.ini file for it to ID it.  Without that hash added, neither app can ID the BIOS.

evox.ini

ROM= "X2 4980.06 Blue",0x0c0ce9d9c0900b6d1966da1945584776

bioses.ini

(256kb)X2 4980.06 (Blue)=0C0CE9D9C0900B6D1966DA1945584776

I don't think either app is case sensitive for the format of the hexadecimal hash value but have not verified that fact. 

Edited by KaosEngineer

Learn how to boot  into XBMC directly I am guessing it involves putting the xbmc .xbe file somewhere? I downloaded the xbox classic skin for xbmc, added 3d box art and preview videos and I am really liking it.  I have ordered the 80 wire cable, sata adapter, and a 2tb hdd.  I want to flash the M8 plus bios to the TSOP,  since I want a 2tb hdd I have read I need to patch the M8 plus version on the HEXEn 2017 disc.  Any suggestions on a good program to edit an .iso file?  I read the thread you commented on about patching it.  Open... the m8plus.bin file in EVTool1.09 select the Partition 6 Takes Rest of the Drive or Partition 6 Takes up to 137GB / Partition 7 Takes Rest option in the LBA48 Suppport dropdown then Save As... the updated BIOS file to have the latest LBA48 patch applied.  Does It matter which option I choose?  I am thinking Partition 6 Takes up to 137GB / Partition 7 Takes Rest option is what I want to use.  Thanks again.  I am having a fun time trying to learn about all of this.

Let's try this and see if it works. :)

PV544 wrote:

Learn how to boot  into XBMC directly I am guessing it involves putting the xbmc .xbe file somewhere?

Not really! :)

You need to create a short-cut to XBMC4Xbox's default.xbe file.

http://the-eye.eu/public/xbins/XBOX/PC Based Applications/xbe-xip-xbx tools/Xbe Shortcut Maker/

1.0 is .NET (Framework Required) - 2.0 is not/     03-Nov-2017 18:30       -
08.16.06.Xbe.Shortcut.Maker.2.0.rar                21-Sep-2006 21:55    285K
09.17.05.Xbe.Shortcut.Maker.1.0.rar                21-Sep-2006 21:55    217K

Use XBE Shortcut Creator 1.0

5ac9a1e571094_XbeShortcutMaker1.0.jpg.b69c6933f55f4fe11530436cfcdd2419.jpg

or 2.0

5ac9a1f1399f9_XBEShortcutMaker2.0.jpg.4581fe99aa2846f21b1daf6ae6ce9d7b.jpg

to create an xbe file, shortcut, called evoxdash.xbe that will replace the current C:\evoxdash.xbe file but upon execution will run XBMC4Xbox from it's installed location on the HDD (e.g., F:/Apps/XBMC4Xbox/default.xbe).

Rename the current evoxdash.xbe file on the HDD to evox.xbe, and upload the new shortcut to XBMC4Xbox, evoxdash.xbe, to C:\.  Reboot the console and if all was done correctly, XBMC4Xbox starts.

I downloaded the xbox classic skin for xbmc, added 3d box art and preview videos and I am really liking it.  I have ordered the 80 wire cable, sata adapter, and a 2tb hdd.

Which IDE-to-SATA adapter?  Does it have a MASTER/SLAVE/(optional)Cable Select jumper block?

I want to flash the M8 plus bios to the TSOP,  since I want a 2tb hdd I have read I need to patch the M8 plus version on the HEXEn 2017 disc.

I think I posted that the M8+ needs to be edited.  I don't think it does though, I'll have to double check my findings...stay by...

Any suggestions on a good program to edit an .iso file?  I read the thread you commented on about patching it.

If necessary to patch, you'll need Qwix v1.0.1 or C-Xbox Tool v2.07 and EVTool v1.0.9

Open... the m8plus.bin file in EVTool1.09 select the Partition 6 Takes Rest of the Drive or Partition 6 Takes up to 137GB / Partition 7 Takes Rest option in the LBA48 Suppport dropdown then Save As... the updated BIOS file to have the latest LBA48 patch applied.  Does It matter which option I choose?

Not really, I'd choose the later as you state below.  We'll be using a partition table written to the drive instead of the default LBA48 options set by EVTool.  The latest BIOS's check for a partition table first and if found use it, else they fall back to the BIOS's LBA48 configuration.

I am thinking Partition 6 Takes up to 137GB / Partition 7 Takes Rest option is what I want to use.  Thanks again.  I am having a fun time trying to learn about all of this.

Not that we are going to be splitting the 2TB HDD into a ~120GB and ~1736GB partition.  Using XBPartitioner v1.3's 64KB cluster size the maximum partition size is 1TB.  Instead, the HDD will be split into partition 6 and 7 each ~928GB's. See: Xbox SATA 2TB Upgrade Tutorial @ xbmc4xbox.org.uk forums

Edited by KaosEngineer

Oh, so since my bios looks for evoxdash.xbe we need to make it find XBMC instead.  I noticed on the boot partitions and executables.  It looks for the dvd first, xselect.xbe then evoxdash.xbe  What is xselect? 

Which IDE-to-SATA adapter?  Does it have a MASTER/SLAVE/(optional)Cable Select jumper block?

New Pata IDE to Serial ATA SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive DVD Converter Adapter Card

( 141951989539 )

I ordered the cheap one with the jumper block.

What is XSelect?

It's an application that you can configure which app to run on startup based on the button you press: A, B, X, Y.  I tried it but didn't really like it.

Too much of a hassle to setup and easy to lose the current settings and have to start over from scratch to reconfigure.

As long as the adapter has the MASTER/SLAVE jumpers, it should be okay.  Lots of recent quality control problems with the HDE's similar to that IDE-to-SATA adapter.

Edited by KaosEngineer