OGXbox.com

Tanooki Electronics Xbox

SpecFour

This showed up on my local Craigslist and I picked it up.  It's one of those 2TB jobbers.

I've never had an Xbox so I've learned quite a bit in the past 10 days.  I still haven't figured out if it is a 1.0 or a 1.1.  No fan on the heatsink, but unleashedX is telling me it is 1.0.  I'm not sure it matters to figure that out.

The question is - does this pic show evidence of TSOP?  I haven't pulled the mobo out to see of there is something similar at R7R3.  Also, my C drive has a folder called bios and it sure looks like it has bios images in it.  As far as I can tell so far, those are useless with a softmod?  Is there another way to tell the difference between a softmod and TSOP?  (Which I believe means there was a softmod that was in place before the TSOP?)

There is no modchip.  That's about all I know for absolute certain.

Thank you!

R7D3.jpg

bios dir.jpg

On version 1.0-1.1 the difference is the version 1.0 has a GPU fan and a extra PCB for the game ports. A lot of modders will swap the version 1.0 GPU heatsink for one from a 1.1-1.6 so it's quieter

Looking at the pic I would say it has been TSOP flashed..

Post a pic of C and E drive and some one will be able to tell by the files.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

To me that looks like a non softmod hard drive and it has made with a Hexen install disk.

And from you 1stt post the black mark at R7D3 is probably conductive paint because who ever made it could not solder, You will also find a link similar on the bottom of the board R7R3.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

A softmod hard drive has extra files that trick the Xbox into loading non original software

Once the Xbox has been hard modded(TSOP flashed or Mod chipped) it will load a copied or homebrew disk, this give you the ability to load a installation disk( Aid, Slayer, Hexen) to format a new had drive and copy the operating system, Dash board(XBMC4Gamers, Unleash, EvolutionX, Dragon, XBMC) to it.

Early in the days of Xbox modding I did a lot of hardmod's just so the owner could play backup's of there own disk 😁.

3 hours ago, SpecFour said:

My current knowledge is that you can't upgrade a hard drive without softmod/TSOP or a chip.

So yes you need either a softmod or a hardmod to upgrade the HDD. But normally the two types of modding a Xbox don't work at the same time.

A lot of people hit a wall when they have a soft modded xbox and then TSOP flash it as it will not boot from the hard drive until the softmod files are removed.

I hope this makes sense

Cheers

SS Dave

UnleashX doesn't always correctly identify the Xbox version.  I'm not sure it can even tell the difference between a v1.0 or v1.1 version.  Simply displays v1.0.

What is the BIOS/Kernel version?  Press the Y button to display UnleashX's System Info page.  Scroll down with the D-pad until you see the line Kernel version. What value is displayed for it?

Do you see an Evox Shield in the upper left-hand corner of the startup animation?  

What text is printed under the big X logo at the end of the flubber animation right before the replacement dashboard appears?

After several more days of learning.

• Displays LOADING IND-BIOS at startup
  • The flubber animation is a bluish color and not green
  • The XBOX logo screen is blue and white, and says XBOX below the big X thing.
  • The mobo has the USB daughter card, which I believe is 1.0 only.

Seems pretty clear it's a TSOPd 1.0.  Kernel says 1.0.5004.67, which doesn't seem match the "figoure out your revision" list, but I've seen mention of IND bioses 5003 and 5004.

Currently just backing up that 2TB hard drive.  I wasn't able to do the unlocked hot-swap and Xplorer360 thing to copy files.  That would have been convenient.  Also picked up another cheap console - a soft-modded 1.6.  I see a modchip in my future...

On 11/29/2020 at 5:38 AM, SpecFour said:

Currently just backing up that 2TB hard drive.  I wasn't able to do the unlocked hot-swap and Xplorer360 thing to copy files.  That would have been convenient.  Also picked up another cheap console - a soft-modded 1.6.  I see a modchip in my future...

If it's TSOP flashed then you can unlock the HDD then connect the HDD to a PC ( no hot swapping needed) and use FAXplorer to copy the contents (up to 1.7tb in under 24 hours)

If you want to be 100% sure before you unlock the HDD you could connect a new hard drive to the Xbox then load a install disk. If it boots then it is hard modded (TSOP Flashed, Mod Chipped)

Cheers

SS Dave