OGXbox.com

Weird Problem with Samsung SDG-605

helltoast

so I got a new Samsung SDG-605 drive and wanted to replaced the aging Philips on my 1.1 machine with it. except I'm having this weird problem with it.

sometimes the Xbox hangs on the "xecuter rox my box" screen for a few seconds before booting. when that happens, the Samsung drive shows "init" rather than "empty" and won't read any discs. checking the system's settings tells me it's not recognizing the drive at all. I can get it to boot normally sometimes though, the drive works fine then.

I've tried several things already, a different ide cable (even the stock one), power supply and cord, with and without the top case. formatting didn't help, either.

I'm guessing it's either the ide to sata adapter (it's a startech) or maybe the cable needs to be in the correct orientation (blue on the board)? or did I get a dud drive?

Edited by helltoast

I would say a dud DVD drive 

Use a no DVD BIOS (just not the no dvd EvoxM8 from hexen 2020) and disconnect the DVD power and IDE leads

If you have the X2-5035 bios you can set the DVD check to 0 (off) in the config file E drive

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

26 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

I would say a dud DVD drive 

Use a no DVD BIOS (just not the no dvd EvoxM8 from hexen 2020) and disconnect the DVD power and IDE leads

If you have the X2-5035 bios you can set the DVD check to 0 (off) in the config file E drive

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I do have X2 5035, I tried the no DVD check but the problem persists. the Xbox works fine otherwise, with the Philips drive. so it's either the Samsung or something connected to it (sata adapter, cable, etc.)?

41 minutes ago, helltoast said:

I do have X2 5035, I tried the no DVD check but the problem persists. the Xbox works fine otherwise, with the Philips drive. so it's either the Samsung or something connected to it (sata adapter, cable, etc.)?

If it works fine with a philips drive I would say the Samsung drive has reached the end of its life.

The direction of the 80 way will not be the problem and the Startech Sata2Ide adaptor is the most reliable on the market, the only thing I would do is make sure the Sata2Ide is set to master.

Cheers

SS Dave

2 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

If it works fine with a philips drive I would say the Samsung drive has reached the end of its life.

The direction of the 80 way will not be the problem and the Startech Sata2Ide adaptor is the most reliable on the market, the only thing I would do is make sure the Sata2Ide is set to master.

Cheers

SS Dave

I see. anything I can do about it? isn't it weird that it works perfectly fine half the time? the laser at least, it reads discs faster than any other drive I have around. when it works that is.

what could be causing it? a dead chip, cap, cracked joint?

EDIT

decided to crack it open because why not, and I think I see 2 cold joints in the power connector. gonna heat them up, see if it helps.

EDIT#2

nope, that wasn't it... although the points were bad. what the hell.

Edited by helltoast

Without having it here to inspect I am not sure where to look next

I would look at the tray for any small switches or optics that get activated when it's closed and then look hard at the board for possible dry/cold solder joints.

Cheers

SS Dave

21 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Is the hard drive set to be the MASTER device on the IDE bus?

tried cable, master and slave. wouldn't boot as slave, unsurprisingly. both on the hdd itself and the adapter.

haven't tested it extensively, but I put together a 1.4 board I had lying around and the Samsung drive seems to work fine with it. it has ind bios instead of X2. so perhaps it is the adapter/cable, or something wrong with my 1.1 board?

2 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

I have had a faulty 80 way IDE cable before so if you can try a different IDE cable.

Cheers

SS Dave

I have tried other cables, but they were the same brand. I bought a bunch of these odd cables that are longer between the hdd and dvd connectors. and some regular Asus ones.

I can't fold the Asus in a way that fits the Samsung though, because the connector is slightly to the side. but the odd cable I mentioned works fine with my Philips and Thomson drives.

think that could be it? might have to order some longer cables to test it, I guess.

6 hours ago, helltoast said:

I think it's the startech adapter. I tried the same cable + samsung drive on my 1.4 (it's still using the stock ide hdd, so no adapter) and it works.

either that or a X2 5035 setting I'm missing? I dunno.

it's a standard, genuine startech with a marvell chip.

If the phillips works fine in that Xbox then the only thing left it the Sata2Ide adaptor.

You could just leave the philips in that one.

Cheers

SS Dave

8 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

If the phillips works fine in that Xbox then the only thing left it the Sata2Ide adaptor.

You could just leave the philips in that one.

Cheers

SS Dave

samsung*

it's the other way around

but yeah, I guess that's what I'm going to do. it's just weird, I was more interested in troubleshooting in case something was wrong with my 1.1 board. but I guess the adapter is the problem.

isn't startech supposed to be better than the generic ones? it's faster though, and I'm mainly playing off the hdd, so it's not like I'm going to switch. maybe it's defective?

thanks for your help by the way.

Edited by helltoast

3 hours ago, helltoast said:

isn't startech supposed to be better than the generic ones? it's faster though, and I'm mainly playing off the hdd, so it's not like I'm going to switch. maybe it's defective?

Yes it is supposed to be better

The only way to know if the Startech is the problem would be to test a different Sata2Ide adaptor and see what happens.

Cheers

SS Dave