OGXbox.com

3D Printed Case Fan Adapter (for 60mm Noctua)

NightBreeze

I wanted to switch out the stock fan for a Noctua and still retain some of the OG look and feel, this is the result. Maybe it will be of use to someone else as well.

The design is up on Thingiverse and PrusaPrinters, whichever you fancy. Print instructions are there as well. Enjoy.

PS. I'm also working on a design that's more compact and easier to print (in two or three parts), I'll post it if I ever get around to completing it. 😄

IMG_2515.jpeg

IMG_2504.jpeg

IMG_2505.jpeg

Edited by NightBreeze
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
21 minutes ago, Daefledar said:

Thank you for sharing these.

Has anyone compared thermals?

In my test's the original heat sink paste on a undisturbed heat sink works just as good as Arctic Silver 5 and Prolima Tech PK-2.

Changing the heat sink paste for no reason is like pulling the cylinder head from your car/truck to change the head gasket even though it's not leaking, Sure if the heat sink is removed then you must replace the heat sink paste the same as you must replace the head gasket if the cylinder head is removed from your engine.

I also found a clean stock fan running at 30% works just as good as the new quiet type of fan that needs to run at full speed to get the same temps.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I would say @SS_Dave's comment is very accurate. The main benefit of using the Noctua fan is noise reduction and increased lifespan (potentially, haven't really had a stock fan fail on me ever though), and at 60-100% it's comparable to stock running at 20-30%. But even at 100% the Noctua is more silent in my experience.

Some more data points fromhttps://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4617648/comments#comment-5158371

Thanks! And great question. There is definitely a pretty big reduction in CFM with the 60mm Noctua. The stock fan is, to my knowledge, around 23 CFW whereas the Noctua is ~17 CFM.

I don't have a proper benchmark to the stock fan but stock is definitely more effective. Such a comparison should take into account speed, dBm and temperature, at least. Off the top of my head I'd say 20% stock matches 60% Noctua, but that's not a linear scale.

But I'd say it performs OK all things considered. Now in winter time, my Noctua can keep the system at ~ CPU 56C / System 49C @ 60% speed while idling in XBMC @ 720p. In summer time I like to increase it to 80% and then the CPU stays at ~60C (or below). So I guess it's a question of what temperatures you're comfortable with your Xbox having?

I'd also say 70% is where you start hearing a little bit of the Noctua, but even at 100% it's not that significant, and more silent than the stock fan IMO. In my bios I have set the fan speed to 100%, so it spins up when I launch a game, but not really audible over the sound of the game. When I come back to the dashboard the system/CPU is usually more cool than before I launched the game, so at 100% the cooling pretty good.

Edit: For context, this is on a re-pasted v1.0 Xbox.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...