OGXbox.com

Hardware/software upgrade.

spoon2.0

Hello, 

You can call me spoon! HA. As the Series XlS shake up the world with its’ release, I took it back and bought the OG. Xbox 2001-2004 for its nostalgic appearance and number of games that are not backwards compatible to this day. My question, what pieces of hardware and software program would allow me to upgrade my og. Xbox without jeopardizing it’s lifespan? I just want to upgrade the Xbox without having to download a ton of games that I don’t want into it.

Edited by spoon2.0
Elaboration and specifics.

• spoon2.0 changed the title to Hardware/software upgrade.

It depends how much work you want to put into it

My Xbox's the 1st thing is remove the clock cap on the 1.0-1.5 version and clean the fan, main board then TSOP flash it or if it's a version 1.6 it gets a modchip.

The caps near the power connector/heatsink could also do with replacement as well

Some will say you must replace the thermal paste on the GPU/CPU but I have not seen any drop in temps by doing so

You will probably need to replace the hard drive as the old one will be almost dead plus it is to small anyway.

My Xbox's get a 2tb hard drive (my preference it  the WD Black) along with a ram upgrade then topped off with a internal HDMI and OGX360 (this allows you to use a Xbox 360 or Xbox one wireless controller).

I also use XBMC4Gamers as the dash.

As sweetdarkdestiny has said a SSD is not really worth it , in my tests there was no noticeable speed increase.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, spoon2.0 said:

I saw a YouTube video where a guy said that the UI original Xbox would not work after modding it. After modding and updated the hardware would the box still be able to read original Xbox game disc?

Yes you can still load and play an original game disk but you would be better of copying thee game to the harddrive as the load times are quicker plus the original DVD drive's are all starting to fail.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, spoon2.0 said:

I saw a YouTube video where a guy said that the UI original Xbox would not work after modding it. After modding and updated the hardware would the box still be able to read original Xbox game disc?

They are completely and utterly WRONG!

You can do everything you could before modding the console and much much MORE!

• Thanks 1

Recently bought myself a og Xbox and was wondering if I could get it shipped would anyone be interesting in assisting with upgrading the hardware and soft modding it for me. I am really interested in doing so but am not so savvy about it all bc it’s all still new to me. Or is there someone out there who does this as a service? 
I have been binging all about it via YouTube and just found a channel called ‘retro pro frank’ and his 2TB HARD MODDED OG XBX WITH XECUTER XBMC and it is amazing!!

3 hours ago, spoon2.0 said:

Location is Toledo, OH. Unable to determine version right now bc the sticker label has been worn and all numbers are no longer. I will try to getting into the xbox later in the day.

That counts out as my location is Australia.

Cheers

SS Dave