OGXbox.com

OSSC XBOX Recommended Settings

AtariSoul

Hello everyone from a lockdown England 🐵

I have just bought an OSSC and have a component cable for my x3 modded XBOX.

Its a UK XBOX and I have set the BIOS to NTSC to allow for 480p RGB output.

Does anyone have any experience or recommended OSSC settings for my UHD TV?

Could you share your profile json?

Thanks in advance 

20 minutes ago, AtariSoul said:

Hello everyone from a lockdown England 🐵

I have just bought an OSSC and have a component cable for my x3 modded XBOX.

Its a UK XBOX and I have set the BIOS to NTSC to allow for 480p RGB output.

Does anyone have any experience or recommended OSSC settings for my UHD TV?

Could you share your profile json?

Thanks in advance 

Don't use an OSSC for Xbox. It's a line doubler. 
You should just get an xbox to hdmi adapter or even a cheap component scaler off of amazon. 

36 minutes ago, AtariSoul said:

Thanks I'll look into that. The OSSC makes my Mega Drive look amazing, I just presumed the same could be achieved on the XBOX.

Yeah it will make all of your consoles that output 240p look amazing. The Xbox can output 720p or 1080i. So you don't need a line doubler. You just need something to convert the component signal to hdmi if your tv doesn't have component inputs. 

Yes I did have my component cable attached to my TV in one of those Samsung 2.5 inch jack plugs that split into the component and audio.

I'm still going to have a go with the OSSC as the picture quality was a bit soft. You can set passthru and add scanlines to give a more nostalgic look and tweak other things with a 480p signal. I am right in that its best to set the BIOS to NTSC as PAL only outputs 480i ?

I believe the TV should also be set to "gaming mode" to avoid the TV attempting to tidy up the image an avoid lag.

Thanks for your help

9 minutes ago, AtariSoul said:

Yes I did have my component cable attached to my TV in one of those Samsung 2.5 inch jack plugs that split into the component and audio.

I'm still going to have a go with the OSSC as the picture quality was a bit soft. You can set passthru and add scanlines to give a more nostalgic look and tweak other things with a 480p signal. I am right in that its best to set the BIOS to NTSC as PAL only outputs 480i ?

I believe the TV should also be set to "gaming mode" to avoid the TV attempting to tidy up the image an avoid lag.

Thanks for your help

It's best to set it to NTSC and 720p. Bypass the OSSC and it won't be soft. 

I went the OSSC approach and it works perfectly fine. There's only a few settings that can/need to be changed on the OSSC but I can't remember them off the top of my head, I'll check later today.

My reason for going this route was that I already had an OSSC and it was easy enough to get my hands on a YPbPr component video SCART cable from Retro Gaming Cables, so that's what I did. I tried one of those cheap component cables hooked straight to my TV and the quality was so, so bad... doesn't even come close to comparing to the high quality RGC cable.

Soon I'll be installing the 🍍 XboxHDMI 🍍, though 😍.

On 11/9/2020 at 8:54 AM, NightBreeze said:

I went the OSSC approach and it works perfectly fine. There's only a few settings that can/need to be changed on the OSSC but I can't remember them off the top of my head, I'll check later today.

My reason for going this route was that I already had an OSSC and it was easy enough to get my hands on a YPbPr component video SCART cable from Retro Gaming Cables, so that's what I did. I tried one of those cheap component cables hooked straight to my TV and the quality was so, so bad... doesn't even come close to comparing to the high quality RGC cable.

Soon I'll be installing the 🍍 XboxHDMI 🍍, though 😍.

Yes I like the idea of the HDMI mod!  I have found that XBMC set to 1080i passthrough looks the best... but just as a test I plugged the component cable into the Samsung jack plugs converter that has the RCA female connector as there is no connectors on these new Samsung TVs. I have to admit even though the OSSC is using passthrough the picture quality was so much better....not sure if its the OSSC or the Samsung convertor that came with the TV.

I would be interested how much better the HDMI looks, but I think its very expensive to ship to me in the UK?

Cheers

5 hours ago, AtariSoul said:

I would be interested how much better the HDMI looks, but I think its very expensive to ship to me in the UK?

The shipping for the XboxHDMI from MakeMHz set me back less than USD$15 (to Finland), the actual unit is $80. Not a bad price IMO. Although given the potential customs fee I'm guessing it could set you up for a total of ~$115 (based on UK 20% VAT)?

There's more info about the mod on the product page: https://makemhz.com/products/xboxhdmi and there are a lot of screenshots on the Discord if you want to get a feel of how it looks.