OGXbox.com

Compatibility of insignia project with nulled hard drives copied from a single source

arfows

I've got 4 Xboxes I've softmodded for my family using Rocky's softmod tool, and I nulled the keys as well during that process (all zeros, but will soon upgrade to all ones to be compatible with Insignia - hopefully its an easy process to upgrade the softmod dashboard/tool).  I currently have a larger drive in one of them that has the dashboard, emulators, and games set up just the way I want it.  I want to put larger hard drives in the other three and have all four be the exact same setup.  Rather than cloning the stock hard drive to a larger drive during the upgrade process and then spending the lengthy time FTPing over the hundreds of MB's of data with the data rate transmission limitations and drop outs inherent with FTP, since all the XBOX's have nulled keys I was planning on just taking the larger drive I've already set up and cloning it 3 times - and then putting those cloned drives into the other 3 xboxes.  Much simpler and quicker.  However, with Insignia needing the Serial Number, HDD Key, and Online Key for each Xbox would cloning a hard drive from one xbox and putting that newly created hard drive into another xbox change the way the serial number or online key is read in the "newly upgraded" Xbox and make it incompatible with Insignia? Or does it not matter as it will just pull the serial number and online key from the mobo and doing what I described above will still be compatible with Insignia?

Thanks all!

Edited by arfows
clarity

The information needed by Insignia is read from EEPROM, so there won’t be an issue cloning the drives. Insignia also doesn't care that they share the same HDD key. Keep in mind though that some DLC may stop working when you change HDD key, so you may need to reinstall those afterwards.

ok, thanks.  When I saw this: Please make sure your Serial Number on your Xbox matches the one stored in your EEPROM, you must have a valid, unique Serial.  for some reason I thought that meant serial keys matching between the Hard Drive and EEPROM.

3 hours ago, arfows said:

ok, thanks.  When I saw this: Please make sure your Serial Number on your Xbox matches the one stored in your EEPROM, you must have a valid, unique Serial.  for some reason I thought that meant serial keys matching between the Hard Drive and EEPROM.

I think Rocky5 is going to release a update for the null process that will fix it.

In my view hardmod (TSOP Flash, Modchip) all the Xbox's as they softmodded you are 2/3rds of the way to TSOP flashing

1 the hard drives can stay unlocked, Insignia doesn't care if the HDD is locked or unlocked

2 each Xbox will still have a unique set of keys (HDD Key, Serial number), no problems with Insignia

3 the hard drive can be cloned using stand alone hard drive cloner (under 4 hours for a 2tb) or you can make a ISO of 1st HDD with HDD Raw and the make as many drives as you like(10-12 hours for a 2tb)

4 you can connect the hard drive to a PC and use FATXplorer to add files to the hard drive (fill a 2tb in under 24 hours)

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

V1.1.8 will un null the key when you run the option again. I changed it to use all 1s as this is fine for insignia. 

note, any drives that are locked to a nulled key won’t work anymore on that Xbox, so if you have backup drives (original drive for example) you will need to use chimps slave drive options to unlock and relock to the new all 1s key. (Or if you can do it via PC do it that way)

If the latter isn’t so, the. You’re fine to just run it and not care. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rocky,

Appreciate the reply!  Not sure I understand completely but here is my interpretation:  Is the takeaway that I can't put a zero nulled key hard drive in an xbox that has been  nulled with 1s or is there more to it then that, as in:

For all XBoxes that have been modded and nulled but still have the original stock hard drive installed, I can just install 1.1.8 and rerun the null option to rewrite it to all 1's.  I can then use Chimp to clone the disk to a larger hard drive and replace the stock.  I can then fill the larger hard drive with everything I want and then clone that as many times as I want and can add it to any other XBOX that has had a HD key nulled with 1.1.8.

For the one XBOX I have that I already upgraded to a larger hard drive from that Xboxes stock HD and nulled to zero, it won't work to simply try to install 1.1.8 and rerun null.  I'd have to find the original drive,  have to rerun Chimp and copy the data over again?  If that's not correct, I'm not sure what you mean

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question, and thanks for everything you've done for this community!

Edited by arfows
clarity

12 minutes ago, arfows said:

Rocky,

Appreciate the reply!  Not sure I understand completely but here is my interpretation:  Is the takeaway that I can't put a zero nulled key hard drive in an xbox that has been  nulled with 1s or is there more to it then that, as in:

For all XBoxes that have been modded and nulled but still have the original stock hard drive installed, I can just install 1.1.8 and rerun the null option to rewrite it to all 1's.  I can then use Chimp to clone the disk to a larger hard drive and replace the stock.  I can then fill the larger hard drive with everything I want and then clone that as many times as I want and can add it to any other XBOX that has had a HD key nulled with 1.1.8.

For the one XBOX I have that I already upgraded to a larger hard drive from that Xboxes stock HD and nulled to zero, it won't work to simply try to install 1.1.8 and rerun null.  I'd have to find the original drive,  have to rerun Chimp and copy the data over again?  If that's not correct, I'm not sure what you mean

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question, and thanks for everything you've done for this community!

For new Xbox correct. 

For Xbox already nulled. No, you can just update the softmod and run the nuller again and it will update the key. But any original drives you had for that Xbox (locked to all zeros) will need to be unlocked and relocked to the new all 1s key.

Chimp 261812 can do this if you attach your original drive (locked to all zeros) to the Xbox that’s been all 1ed as the slave drive, add the old nulled eeprom.bin to the Y partition and run chimp. Select slave drive options and pick unlock > Y:\eeprom.bin when done, lock the slave drive to the motherboard and done. 

• 2 years later...

@Rocky5 Thank you for this explanation and your hard work. I still have a little question.

I'm probably not the only one in the situation you just descirbed (Xbox already nulled, old original Xbox HDD lying in a save as a backup, in case the new big HDD in the Xbox fails).

So now after locking the new HDD in the Xbox to all 1s, I need a way to unlock and relock my old "Backup" to all 1s. I'd do it with Chimp, but I'm not sure how the seperate steps actually work.

1. "Connect the original (old) HDD to the Xbox as slave",

OK got it

2. "Add the old nulled eeprom.bin to the Y partition and run chimp",

NOT SURE how to do that, since Y is a Cache drive, won't that file be deleted immediately? When exactly do I transfer the old eeprom.bin, i. e. via FTP, to that partition? As far as I understand, I need the old eeprom JUST for unlocking the old Drive, since the Xbox cannot do it alone with its current eeprom (this eeprom is bound to HDD keys with all 1s)

3. "lock the slave drive to the motherboard ",

can I pick that "lock" option under "slave drive options" then?

Thank you.

26 minutes ago, XfortknoxX said:

@Rocky5 Thank you for this explanation and your hard work. I still have a little question.

I'm probably not the only one in the situation you just descirbed (Xbox already nulled, old original Xbox HDD lying in a save as a backup, in case the new big HDD in the Xbox fails).

So now after locking the new HDD in the Xbox to all 1s, I need a way to unlock and relock my old "Backup" to all 1s. I'd do it with Chimp, but I'm not sure how the seperate steps actually work.

1. "Connect the original (old) HDD to the Xbox as slave",

OK got it

2. "Add the old nulled eeprom.bin to the Y partition and run chimp",

NOT SURE how to do that, since Y is a Cache drive, won't that file be deleted immediately? When exactly do I transfer the old eeprom.bin, i. e. via FTP, to that partition? As far as I understand, I need the old eeprom JUST for unlocking the old Drive, since the Xbox cannot do it alone with its current eeprom (this eeprom is bound to HDD keys with all 1s)

3. "lock the slave drive to the motherboard ",

can I pick that "lock" option under "slave drive options" then?

Thank you.

A2: Before you run Chimp while a replacement dashboard with an FTP server is running. Upload it to the Y drive.  It will not immediately get deleted.

A3: Yes

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...