OGXbox.com

Specific XBE Won't Launch From F:\

HDShadow

Weird problem I came across which I thought was an old softmod issue which chipping (Aladdin XT Plus + new BIOS) might fix on a v1.1. It hasn't.

160GB HDD, F:\ correctly formatted and every app I have in F:\Apps that I've tested boots without issue except for an UnleashX v584 one. I've copied in known working replacements from a variety of sources and they all just hang at the load screen. No skins being used, default Config.xml and Item.xml too.

But move that same default.xbe to C:\ or E:\ and it works perfectly.

Second problem, which is more serious, is that no generic MS dash stockfiles will work. I tried using them from E:\Backup and they momentarily flash the MS dash background before crashing to an error 21 screen.

This is what happened when it was softmodded done using a very old version of SID which included a 5960 Patch you had to use to get the softmod to work. Much later I discovered only this Xbox's original C:\ drive files work as a MS backup and so I have had to preserve them carefully.

I have another softmodded Xbox done with a later SID which by luck is a v1.1, identical 4817 retail BIOS version too. Even though that doesn't have the problems I could share files like the UnleashX v584 ones and its own C:\ drive MS dash XBE or full backup and they would work. But now after I cleaned up the HDD for use with the chip the files from that Xbox won't work either.

I can't think what might cause these problems, which I'm sure are related. Any ideas?   

Thanks, yes I know that I've already tested the generic stock files from HeXEn, AID or Xbox original MS dash backups.

If you install them in E:\Apps and change the xboxdash.xbe to default.xbe, on this particular Xbox only, you get the problem. I have MS dash generic stockfiles as apps on almost every Xbox. With SID you have to have E:\Backup\MS and on all other machines generic stockfiles work perfectly in this role. But I have to be careful because they don't work on this machine. 

If I forget that and subbed in those generic replacements I could be in for a world of hassle if ever I wanted to revert the machine to stock. SID would see them as a valid MS dash but I have a strong suspicion I'd get a blank or error screen if I did.

The UX v584 issue on top suggests there is some version incompatibility going on but how that came about and why it is still affecting a chipped machine I have no idea. That's why I asked.

I'll have to try with a new clean HDD with a new hardmod dash installed by AID. The 160GB HDD I fitted is still essentially softmodded but with the softmod removed and the existing C:\ drive edited to include a UX dash launcher.

But before anyone goes blaming that I'd point out that when softmodded that's how it also behaved, its not new. I also have another softmod where there is a similar issue at least with the specific MS dash matter. I've always put that down to forgetting to check the dash had been updated before softmodding.

I can't check the F:\ drive UX v584 problem on that because it is using a retail HDD in a virgin case I want to preserve that way.   

There's something weird going on.

This week, as mentioned in another thread, I reflashed the original HeXEn EvoxM8+ F & G BIOS I had on my original TSOP with the new custom one (based on SS_Dave's EvoxM8+ 67) so that the two TSOPs I've done and the Aladdin are all using the essentially the same EvoxM8+ BIOS.

I've been FTPing stuff to that v1.4's 160GB HDD, not the same one from the Aladdin mentioned in the first post and as usual I test everything afterwards.

That two is having a similar problem. It will eventually launch an UnleashX v584 XBE from F:\ but it is mightly slow and an app, a DLC Pack installer, which uses an UnleashX v584 dash hangs forever on the loading screen. I can't test that from E:\ as its too big (5+GB) but as soon as I replaced its default.xbe with a v572 UX one it worked perfectly.

But that's not the only problem with the v1.4, its become noticeably slower. It copies stuff no problem but when it is just at the end the dialogue box sort of hiccups in the middle of it animation and there's a definitely delay when deleting files too that wasn't there before. XBMC screens, like the file manager take far longer to appear and initial boot is much slower than normal too.

The HDD is only half full and was using the same HDD, softmodded, admittedly with less content, without any similar issues.

I haven't tested the second TSOP yet but the only two common things between the Aladdin and this problem TSOP are both are using the same new BIOS and both are using little used 160GB IDE HDDs.

Two machines using the same new BIOS suddenly having a similar UnleashX v584 running from F:\ problem seems like a bit of a coincidence. If the third Xbox, the other TSOP, has anything similar going on what else could it be?

BTW F:\ was properly formatted using XBPartitioner v1.3 after installing a basic dash and is still showing no error.

I'm going to test a new bleached (just doing that now) 120GB HDD on the v1.4 TSOP to see if I've just been unlucky and had two 160GB HDDs go funny at the same time. Unlikely but if I set the 120GB one up from new and the problem repeats then there can't be any doubt its not the HDDs to blame.

Try using Xbpartitioner 1.1 to set up the drive.

I had a 2tb that was doing funny stuff until I set F and G (6 and 7) to 50% then 95% and finish with Xbpartitioner 1.3 to set 6 and 7 to 926.98 each

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

8 hours ago, HDShadow said:

There's something weird going on.

This week, as mentioned in another thread, I reflashed the original HeXEn EvoxM8+ F & G BIOS I had on my original TSOP with the new custom one (based on SS_Dave's EvoxM8+ 67) so that the two TSOPs I've done and the Aladdin are all using the essentially the same EvoxM8+ BIOS.

I've been FTPing stuff to that v1.4's 160GB HDD, not the same one from the Aladdin mentioned in the first post and as usual I test everything afterwards.

That two is having a similar problem. It will eventually launch an UnleashX v584 XBE from F:\ but it is mightly slow and an app, a DLC Pack installer, which uses an UnleashX v584 dash hangs forever on the loading screen. I can't test that from E:\ as its too big (5+GB) but as soon as I replaced its default.xbe with a v572 UX one it worked perfectly.

But that's not the only problem with the v1.4, its become noticeably slower. It copies stuff no problem but when it is just at the end the dialogue box sort of hiccups in the middle of it animation and there's a definitely delay when deleting files too that wasn't there before. XBMC screens, like the file manager take far longer to appear and initial boot is much slower than normal too.

The HDD is only half full and was using the same HDD, softmodded, admittedly with less content, without any similar issues.

I haven't tested the second TSOP yet but the only two common things between the Aladdin and this problem TSOP are both are using the same new BIOS and both are using little used 160GB IDE HDDs.

Two machines using the same new BIOS suddenly having a similar UnleashX v584 running from F:\ problem seems like a bit of a coincidence. If the third Xbox, the other TSOP, has anything similar going on what else could it be?

BTW F:\ was properly formatted using XBPartitioner v1.3 after installing a basic dash and is still showing no error.

I'm going to test a new bleached (just doing that now) 120GB HDD on the v1.4 TSOP to see if I've just been unlucky and had two 160GB HDDs go funny at the same time. Unlikely but if I set the 120GB one up from new and the problem repeats then there can't be any doubt its not the HDDs to blame.

Which UnleashX v0.39.0528A Build 584 are you using? 

There are two (2) now.  The original release by the author of UnleashX and the hex edited version that Rocky5 released that patches a couple of bugs in the original release. 

I'll have to check that; its the one installed by AID Lite.

However I don't think that's the problem. I installed the newly bleached 120GB and with a working disc drive (obviously), did an AID Lite One-Click format and dash install. All as normal, no problems.

It uses UX v584 for the main UnleashX dash, C:\evoxdash, so I just copied that to the folder F:\Apps\v584 and a copy of my preferred version v572 to F:\Apps\v572 as well. F:\ had been formatted by AID but I used the Xbox Table Writer (all F) and then reformatted using XBPartitioner v1.3 just to be sure. 16K clusters no error.

Both UX dash versions launched as apps from there with no issues whatsoever. Assumption made was that it must be the 160GB HDDs causing the weirdness and I was going to have to wipe and reformat them likewise. :(

Then I realised I had better test the 120GB HDD with the disc drive detached just to make sure........................that's the problem. The flubber animation suddenly wasn't smooth any more and the main dash slowed down irregularly in just the same way previously described.

The clincher was that whilst UX v572 launched from F:\Apps pretty much as normal when I tried UX v584, exactly the same problem returned and it consistently stalled during boot.

Its definitely some significant problem with having no attached disc drive and/or the No DVD check BIOS. The customised EvoxM8+. All F.NoDVD BIOS I'm using is, as said, essentially SS_Dave's EvoxM8+ 67 with the only things altered are all free space going to F,  the second and third boot priority paths and the addition of a new logo. It works perfectly with the disc drive attached.    

Solutions?

EDIT

Just reinstalled the 160GB HDD and with the working disc drive attached It, eventually worked OK. The F:\ drive UX v584 app worked perfectly first time but the DLC Pack launcher, which uses UX v584 XBE stalled. However on reboot it launched OK and consistently afterwards.

I see where this is going. I will have to reflash one of the Xboxes with a vanilla EvoxM8+ All F, test that then customise it with the EVTool to include the No DVD Check and test it again with and without the disc drive attached.   

Edited by HDShadow

Did that. Gave Resctoox a real workout but the problems repeated.

Then on one occasion when I tried to launch the DLC Loader (UX v584) it stalled and I press the eject button absent mindedly and it rebooted. Went to launch it again and found it was now not listed as an app. File manager showed all the content had gone except the item.xml! That's over 5GB of content just gone.

Only time I've seen anything like that is with a wrongly formatted HDD but that is pretty much impossible with a 160GB HDD. XBPartitioner v1.3 shows as it always has 16K clusters and no error. So I've no explanation for this.

However the result was suddenly everything started working smoothly again and I had no trouble booting UX v584 from F:\.

Only other thing I did is reattach the non-working (Philips) disc drive but only the power cords. I just wanted to see if it provoked the error 7 it did when fully connect ie. with the IDE cable too. No problem so I'm going to leave it attached from now on.

My thought about the v584 issue particularly the DLC Loader is that it might have been a memory problem.  As an app it is huge, there's nothing else like it, even AID with a lot of Addon Packs when installed to the HDD is 'only' 3GB -4GB. A memory issue might explain the dash as apps difference as well - the v584 XBE is bigger the the v572 one. But enough to cause a memory issue? Seems unlikely.

BTW I cleared the E:\CACHE before even starting to try and identify the cause of the odd behaviour.  

If a different BIOS is booted with a different LBA48 configuration, say it changed from 06 - F only to one with the LBA48 configuration set set for both F & G - Partition 6 - F up to 137GB and partition 7 - G takes the rest, files / folders will seem to disappear.  or, vice versa F & G BIOS to an F only LBA48 configured BIOS.

• Like 1

As said earlier I've been using a customised version of SS_Daves EvoxM8+ 67. I changed it using EVTool to use all free space for F, the logo and the boot priority. Nothing else.  The option to Ignore the HHD Partition Table was left unticked.

When I installed the dash I specfically checked F with XBPartitioner v1.3 and it show correct cluster size 16K and the correct 149GiB of free space for Ext.Drive 6 when using a 160GB HDD. I still used Rocky5's XB HDD Partition Table Writer tool > use all free space for F option and reformatted F again just to make sure.

There was 60GB of free space on F at the time the 5GB of DLC content disappeared so the total content on F must have been well under 100GiB at the time, nowhere near that 137GiB limit.

The BIOS should be complying with the EVTool All F edit and if not should surely also be complying with the XB HDD Partition Table setting to use all for F.

I'm a bit skeptical about the partitioning/BIOS setting being the cause.