OGXbox.com

Have 2 OGXBOX consoles trying to repair them.

Eggeese

I have two OG XBOX consoles and I'd like to get them up and running again if possible. One unit powers on but shows an error 7 and the other powers on and reaches the dashboard but will not read any disc I put into the drive(There is also no message about not being able to read the disc either). What steps should I take to get started with a repair? Is either unit a lost cause? I know I'm probably leaving out important info but hopefully this can get me going.

Sme more info like the versions, are they modded  at all.

It helps if you post pics of the insides as well

Error 7 is the hard drive has more than likely failed, The drive has powered up but is not reading the data from the disk

You could take the DVD drive from that one and fit it to the other Xbox that has the DVD problems.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Thanks for the info. I tried switching the dvd drives around once but got other errors so I'll have to try again to get the specific codes. I'll also post some picks of the guts to help clarify model but they are both stock units. Before I post the pic the clock batteries are still in both but I know they've gotta go.

58 minutes ago, Eggeese said:

Thanks for the info. I tried switching the dvd drives around once but got other errors so I'll have to try again to get the specific codes. I'll also post some picks of the guts to help clarify model but they are both stock units. Before I post the pic the clock batteries are still in both but I know they've gotta go.

The Hard drive and motherboards are locked together, You can swap DVD drives without problems.

it will help if you can post any error messages or the eject LED flashes/colors

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Sorry for the long wait. I wasn't particularly in the mood to do a two system tear down on a Friday afternoon right after work, weekend warrior stuff. So I've got more Information.

First Xbox- This unit is the one that shows the error 7 message here is video of the bootup ans some photos of the insides

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Auteda-0wsUmghc42V2FB0t--jDP?e=qUcUAY

Second Xbox - This is the unit that boots fine into the dashboard but wont read disc, vid and photos. I also tried swapping the drive from the unit that wont go to the dashboard again and got an error 12.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Auteda-0wsUmgh3v0oqboLYkwHmN?e=0GuV6i

These links are to my Microsoft One Drive
Hopefully this can be more helpful than what I first posted.

No good, swapping the recognized drive into the error 7 system still produces error 7.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Auteda-0wsUmgiNPajmxuAEAPOCh?e=4uiHIP

I even got proactive and tried swapping the lenses from the non recognized to the recognized one but it still didn't read the disc. If anything it took a bit longer to boot to the dashboard. A bit of a hail Mary really but hey, It's not gonna work any less than it already does.

Edited by Eggeese
incomplete message

OK within 7 seconds into that video I can say the hard drive has reached the end of its life.

Error 7 is the harddrive is not responding the a request for data (is not sending data to the main board)

Have you tied the DVD from the from the error 7 Xbox in the error 12 Xbox?

If they were here I would TSOP flash both and fit a new pre loaded hard drive (500gb minium) to each and then forget about the DVD drive

4 hours ago, Eggeese said:

I even got proactive and tried swapping the lenses from the non recognized to the recognized one but it still didn't read the disc. If anything it took a bit longer to boot to the dashboard.

That may have done more harm than good unless the part number on the lens is the same they are not interchangeable and could damage the laser or the DVD drive main board.

Cheers

SS Dave

Yeah that drive sounds like it's gonna take flight. I knew it couldn't be in working order. Putting the error 7 DVD drive into the system with the working HD drive is what produces error 12. I'm not going to completely give up though I'm just gonna look into other options.

It is looking like you have 2 X dead DVD drives and 1 X dead hard drive

I would suggest a modchip and a working DVD drive as a fix

Fit a working DVD to the one that boots and then you can TSOP flash it and the unlock the HDD then fit the modchip to the non booting one and use the working DVD and the unlocked drive from the other one to TSOP flash that Xbox.

If you lock the hard drive to that Xbox you can then remove the mod chip(keep the modchip aside as it's handy to have for this situation) and TSOP flash it as well.

You now have 2 Xbox's that work, by using the one with a working DVD drive you can make a new hard drive using a install disk.

Cheers

SS Dave

• 1 month later...

SUCCESS!!! Two months later by the date.

So after a lot of tinkering and a few dollars spent I have a working drive so now my plan is to mod these xbox consoles. I won't bore anyone with videos this time but I'd like to know what are the fancy new mod chips the hip kids are talking about these days? the both are early model xboxs.

3 hours ago, Eggeese said:

SUCCESS!!! Two months later by the date.

So after a lot of tinkering and a few dollars spent I have a working drive so now my plan is to mod these xbox consoles. I won't bore anyone with videos this time but I'd like to know what are the fancy new mod chips the hip kids are talking about these days? the both are early model xboxs.

You can get the Open Xenium from eBay or N64 freak may still have them for sale(he also had some Xblast lite chips)

and the Xenium Ice from one of the members here 

If it was me I would TSOP flash them as for over 90% of users you really only need it to run unsigned code and don't need more than 1 bios.

Cheers

SS Dave