OGXbox.com

Error 9 - Unusual Possible Cause

HDShadow

Error 9 is said to be a rare Xbox flagged up fault. Never seen it myself until today.

My newly successfully pin-headered v1.2/1.3 is destined for a TSOP. The only reason I put the pin-header in was to use the Aladdin chip to allow me to get the eeprom from the Xbox which I couldn't do almost any other way because it came with only an Error 16 HDD when I bought it.

I used another Master HDD and Chimp 261812 to fix the Error 16 HDD as Slave 

BTW the Chimp 261812 Error 16 Fix option did not work. It just spewed out an endless stream of hdb error lines. I let it run for 15 minutes before accepting nothing was going to happen. However simply copying the dashboard to it worked and when installed as Master it booted without problems.

Anyway come today: HDD locked with ConfigMagic v1.6.1 then returned to retail state, chip removed, D0 desoldered and wire 'capped'.  I also replaced the IDE cable with a newer 80 wire one - that is the significant part in regard to the Error 9 matter but not what you might think.

I boot the Xbox expecting so see the MS dash but no: Error 9:- 

9 - kernel - HDD parameters (PIO/DMA/or size {debug}, certain size minimum is required for debug)

Not very common error, please try another harddisk.

Kept on doing it. I replaced everything, checked as working on another Xbox: IDE cable, DVD drive and DVD drive power cable. I tried using the unlocked HDD I'd used with Chimp, not the expected Error 5 but Error 7. This is typical of a problem with anything faulty attached to the IDE cable but I knew both the HDD, DVD drive and IDE cable were good. WTF?

I found an old Error 9 thread on another forum that KaosEngineer had taken part in and what he said suggested it was indeed IDE cable issue, like a bent or missing pin. So I took everything apart, rechecked the cable on another Xbox, again, and checked the HDD and DVD drive pins hoping that none were broken. They were not. So what was left: the MB IDE socket.

All looked OK then as I shone the torch/flashlight something glinted in the bottom of the socket. I thought it was a splash of solder or a broken pin or the number 4 pin from the pin header which I accidental dropped on removal (pretty sure I hadn't). But when I fished it out it was shiny, metallic looking but thin, flat and flexible. The only thing I could think it might be is a small piece of tinsel about the same length as a header pin.

How it got there who knows? I haven't had tinsel in the house for years but whatever it was and however it got there it was conductive and must have been bridging two or more pins because once removed the Xbox booted perfectly, no Error 9 error. Yay!

Still very annoying that such a minute thing could cause a problem it took me half a day fix.

• Like 4