OGXbox.com

How Do You Check Hdd Heath Og XBox Drive

enter name here

On 10/23/2020 at 10:18 PM, enter name here said:

hi all new here and new to thee xbox modding, i have a tosp modded og xbox i wont to check the heath of my drive as ive noiced sum saves are not loading i have a 500GB segate sata drive in it i wont to make sure the drive is ok and it's not just a curuped file ?

take the drive out and connect it to your pc. DON'T FORMAT IT! run a free tool called crystal disk INFO(no crystal disk MARK) https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/ and it will tell u the health of the drive and also tell u how many hours it has on it and all the start/stop cycles it has been thru. this tool will even work on a locked drive. there is also another tool called hard drive sentinel that u can use to get a slightly more detail diagnosis. u can try to clone the drive with chimp(look up youtube vids on how to do this) if it is failing.

On 10/25/2020 at 10:10 AM, bulkchart32 said:

take the drive out and connect it to your pc. DON'T FORMAT IT! run a free tool called crystal disk INFO(no crystal disk MARK) https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/ and it will tell u the health of the drive and also tell u how many hours it has on it and all the start/stop cycles it has been thru. this tool will even work on a locked drive. there is also another tool called hard drive sentinel that u can use to get a slightly more detail diagnosis. u can try to clone the drive with chimp(look up youtube vids on how to do this) if it is failing.

cool thanks i tryed that tolled me heath ok when i use a app to check bad sectors it comes back as all dead lol

• Like 1

I usually use UnleashX to see basic SMART info about a drive. I'll also look to see how many times it has been powered on in its life to get an idea of how old it is. If you're using a stock hard drive, just remember that some of them are coming up on 20 years old and hard drives don't live forever. If the drive works, then great. But backup important data you wouldn't want to lose to a PC.

On 10/26/2020 at 11:58 PM, GoTeamScotch said:

I usually use UnleashX to see basic SMART info about a drive. I'll also look to see how many times it has been powered on in its life to get an idea of how old it is. If you're using a stock hard drive, just remember that some of them are coming up on 20 years old and hard drives don't live forever. If the drive works, then great. But backup important data you wouldn't want to lose to a PC.

where do i go too see that info? i have the UnleashX  dash as my main dash

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I know this thread is a little old now, but hopefully the tip will come in useful, when I softmod and upgrade my HDD I always keep the original hdd for redundancy use in the event i don't null the HDD. if you're still running the original HDD, I would seriously consider upgrading it to something allot newer. YouTube provides loads of videos showing you how to clone a HDD. The last of these consoles to come of the production line was in 2005 making the newest of these 16 years old with the majority being much older near 20 years old. the average hdd life span is 5 years, meaning the original consoles hdds are very much on borrowed time. 1 out of 3 OG xboxs i receive had dead hard drives.       

• 2 months later...
On 1/21/2021 at 6:28 PM, hawkquawks said:

I know this thread is a little old now, but hopefully the tip will come in useful, when I softmod and upgrade my HDD I always keep the original hdd for redundancy use in the event i don't null the HDD. if you're still running the original HDD, I would seriously consider upgrading it to something allot newer. YouTube provides loads of videos showing you how to clone a HDD. The last of these consoles to come of the production line was in 2005 making the newest of these 16 years old with the majority being much older near 20 years old. the average hdd life span is 5 years, meaning the original consoles hdds are very much on borrowed time. 1 out of 3 OG xboxs i receive had dead hard drives.       

always a good idea to hold on to that old hdd

The hard drive has to be unlocked to gain access to its content. 

ogXbox's lock their hard drive's with a seldom used ATA security feature - a user password - to prevent access to the data stored on them.  And, until unlocked, most of the ATA commands are not allowed to run.  Once unlocked, you can run the short and long drive tests using the command-line application smartctl.exe that's part of XboxHDM23USB Beta 2 or 3 v6.2 or  a newer release of it v7.2 provided with XboxHDM-2.3-Beta4.

You can unlock the hard drive if you either know the user password for the drive (20 bytes of data for the ogXbox), have the eeprom.bin backup for the Xbox the drive is installed in or know the hard drive manufacturer's MASTER password, if it has not been changed by an application such as ConfigMagic for the Xbox which sets it to TEAMASSEMBLY.

Some S.M.A.R.T. data values are displayed in UnleashX's System -> Settings -> Storage page. I have no idea how reliable these values are or how to interpret them into something meaningful:

2022259820_UnleashX-System-Settings-Storage-S.M.A.R.T.section.jpg.4944ff3d3ef24b97c9d59c50cbb9d08c.jpg

19 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

ogXbox's lock their hard drive's with a seldom used ATA security feature - a user password - to prevent access to the data stored on them.  And, until unlocked, most of the ATA commands are not allowed to run.  Once unlocked, you can run the short and long drive tests using the command-line application smartctl.exe that's part of XboxHDM23USB Beta 2 or 3 v6.2 or  a newer release of it v7.2 provided with XboxHDM-2.3-Beta4.

You can unlock the hard drive if you either know the user password for the drive (20 bytes of data for the ogXbox), have the eeprom.bin backup for the Xbox the drive is installed in or know the hard drive manufacturer's MASTER password, if it has not been changed by an application such as ConfigMagic for the Xbox which sets it to TEAMASSEMBLY.

Some S.M.A.R.T. data values are displayed in UnleashX's System -> Settings -> Storage page. I have no idea how reliable these values are or how to interpret them into something meaningful:

2022259820_UnleashX-System-Settings-Storage-S.M.A.R.T.section.jpg.4944ff3d3ef24b97c9d59c50cbb9d08c.jpg

my experience has been that even a locked drive connected to a pc will still show it's health status, hours of usage, and start/stop cycles with the program crystaldiskinfo.

• Thanks 1

On 3/31/2021 at 1:44 AM, KaosEngineer said:

ogXbox's lock their hard drive's with a seldom used ATA security feature - a user password - to prevent access to the data stored on them.  And, until unlocked, most of the ATA commands are not allowed to run.

You can unlock the hard drive if you either know the user password for the drive (20 bytes of data for the ogXbox)

im gonna go out on a limb here and going by your photo, your hdd is somehow overheating. i think it claims its 20 degrees over normal in the temp. category

Edited by redanddead12345