OGXbox.com

To Fan or Not To Fan

nucclearffiestas

I just read in Huang's "Hacking the Xbox" a warning that the fanless heatsinks are prone to overheating if operated without the disk drives installed over the motherboard. I was just about to replace my 1.0 GPU heatsink (with the fan) with the later, fanless, one with the idea that I'd reduce the noise. But now I'm having second thoughts, as I will not be replacing the disk drives over the motherboard.

Can anyone offer me some sage advice on whether or not i should keep the 1.0 heatsink?

I may end up shaving ~1" off the top for a slim build. Would this eliminate the potential risk of overheating?

375461041_gpuheatsinkwarning.PNG.968bffb2da32e47efd0f4e5bdd558098.PNG

The drive mounting trays form a ducting to force the air past the CPU/GPU heatsinks.

If you  are planning  slim then keep the version 1.0 GPU heatsink and replace the fan on it, I would also recommend a fan on top of the CPU heatsink because you will need a smaller fan on the rear of the case so the extra fans will help.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

The drive mounting trays form a ducting to force the air past the CPU/GPU heatsinks.

If you  are planning  slim then keep the version 1.0 GPU heatsink and replace the fan on it, I would also recommend a fan on top of the CPU heatsink because you will need a smaller fan on the rear of the case so the extra fans will help.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Thanks, SS_Dave!

Could connecting an extra fan potentially overload the power supply?

If not, then are there fans that would fit on the existing CPU heatsink, or should I consider replacing the heatsinks entirely?

39 minutes ago, nucclearffiestas said:

Could connecting an extra fan potentially overload the power supply?

That not a problem the fans are running of the 12 volt supply and it has plenty of reserve supply. Even the fan speed controller on the board is able of running 2 or 3 fans

There is no one fan I would suggest it going to work better it' something you need to test for yourself and depending on what's available in your location.

You could change the heatsink but the problem is holding the heatsink on the CPU.

Cheers

SS Dave

12 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

That not a problem the fans are running of the 12 volt supply and it has plenty of reserve supply. Even the fan speed controller on the board is able of running 2 or 3 fans

There is no one fan I would suggest it going to work better it' something you need to test for yourself and depending on what's available in your location.

You could change the heatsink but the problem is holding the heatsink on the CPU.

Cheers

SS Dave

How about recreating the ducting with a sheet of aluminum secured in the approximate location that the drives would otherwise rest? Is this a viable alternative to my problem?

Edited by nucclearffiestas

10 minutes ago, nucclearffiestas said:

How about recreating the ducting with a sheet of aluminum secured in the approximate location that the drives would otherwise rest? Is this a viable alternative to my problem?

I have tried that and it kind of helped a little bit,

Don't forget when you remove 1 inch of height the stock fan will not fit so you need a smaller fan that will not move as much air as before.

A lot of people the make slims use fans/heatsinks from graphics cards in place of the stock heatsinks.

Cheers

SS Dave

17 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

I have tried that and it kind of helped a little bit,

Don't forget when you remove 1 inch of height the stock fan will not fit so you need a smaller fan that will not move as much air as before.

A lot of people the make slims use fans/heatsinks from graphics cards in place of the stock heatsinks.

Cheers

SS Dave

Well that gives me something to mull over.

Thanks a ton for your help.