OGXbox.com

XBox Reboots Constantly After Ram Upgrade Attempt. Led Doesn't Usually Light Up.

tjd2

So i tried to upgrade my 1.1 xbox to 128mb.

I installed the first chip successfully and xblastOS flashed to TSOP said "Success". Then i attempted to install second chip on bottom side, but xbox started fragging. I fixed up some shorts i found, but it still fragged. Then i measured according to datasheet, that power to RAM is shorted to ground. The shorted pins most likely were: 66 and 65. However it's possible, that i used the chip pinout wrongly and i measured short between VDD and VDDQ, which should be fine.

Even after fixing the shorts, it still fragged. After (destructively, but fortunately without ripping any trace) removing the both installed chips, it still does very weird frag. Basically the LED lights up only for short while and then turns off. Xbox's fan runs for a while and then it reboots. This gets repeated indefinitely, but rarely you get normal FRAG and xbox stays on. I measured 2.65V going to the VDDQ pin and the RAM power rail or any of the main power rails are NOT shorted now.

ANyone knows if i can fix it? All my other xboxes are either fragging (i have 1.0 i got fragging, but it might be TSOP issue as there are no signs of tracerot, no leaking caps and apparently TSOP might naturally degrade now, so i ordered modchip and will try to install it) or they are 1.6, which suck

Here is reference image how i installed one of the chips, that worked well (the first one). I guess it was pretty good: https://imgur.com/a/6DlSKuY. The residue is either flux or denaturated ethanol i used to clean it up.

VIDEO: 

Edited by tjd2

You need to carefully inspect the whole PCB for a possible solder splash.

I did see one person on FB that was adding links for a TSOP and a small blob of solder dropped off the iron near the ethernet port.

And give the entire PCB a wash in Isopoynal and compressed air or at least warm air from a hair drier.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

42 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

You need to carefully inspect the whole PCB for a possible solder splash.

I did see one person on FB that was adding links for a TSOP and a small blob of solder dropped off the iron near the ethernet port.

And give the entire PCB a wash in Isopoynal and compressed air or at least warm air from a hair drier.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I forgot to mention i measured pretty much everything near the ram chips. There are no shorts on the pads, no shorted capacitors, no shorted resistor packs. Motherboard was cleaned with denaturated ethanol and toothbrush. 

As last resort, i showed the motherboard in dishwasher (without dish washing soap of course). I doubt it's going to do something, but i at least tried. It's drying rn.

I'm sure i either fucked the NV2A chip (it contains ram controller) or one of the preinstalled ram chips.