OGXbox.com

Blocky and Freezing Picture

Bryang

Softmod.  64mb xbox.  I originally thought it was cheap component cables. Replaced, didn't work.  Thought bad component connectors, switched televisions.  Still didn't work.

I haven't found any pattern yet.  Has this happened to anyone else?    The blockiness/stuttering will start happening in a game or emulator, then keep happening even upon restart on the menu. Any tips?  Thanks!

5 hours ago, Bryang said:

Softmod.  64mb xbox.  I originally thought it was cheap component cables. Replaced, didn't work.  Thought bad component connectors, switched televisions.  Still didn't work.

I haven't found any pattern yet.  Has this happened to anyone else?    The blockiness/stuttering will start happening in a game or emulator, then keep happening even upon restart on the menu. Any tips?  Thanks!

sounds like  the 3 caps in front of the processors need replacing.

As the others have said check the caps near the heat sink/20 pin power connector. And maybe just replace them anyway as the can look ok but still have failed.

What make and model is the hard drive?

Is it all games or just some games?

Is the Xbox NTSC and what resolution have you set? don't use 1080p as it consumes all the memory and leaves stuff all for the game to run.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Thanks for the replies everyone.  As for the Xbox Model I am unsure.   It isn't 1.6, and I've previously removed the clock capacitor.  The Xbox is also NTSC and I have it set at 720p resolution.  I haven't found any pattern with the games.  If it starts in a game it will then continue on into the reboot and UnleashX Menu.   When this behavior happens the xbox is unusable and unplayable due to the slowness/choppiness/stuttering.  

I will open  it up and check the other capacitors.  These too can fail?   I don't have any experience replacing capacitors or using a small solder but it seems to be generally a simple task albeit tedious.

The HDD in it is fairly old SATA and I'm using a bridge.  - But if the HDD was failing wouldn't it happen immediately upon start up? 

Hmmm.... SATA Adapter. Do you have a pic? If not, does it has 2 caps on it? Maybe the caps on the adapter are bad as Dave said in some topics.

A hdd can die slowly or fast so both is possible. But i would check the caps first. And i would replace the caps because like Dave also already worte, they can look got but that dosen't mean they are. Unleashed-X should display the version of your xbox in some skins (system 9 for example) or the TruHeXEn disc displays it also in the upper right corner.

But if you want i have atteched a xbox app. Just FTP it to your apps folder, reboot und run it. It shows you which version you have without the need to open it.

xbox version.rar

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny
Typos typos and some typos. Left some for later. :D