OGXbox.com

XBox 1.0 Frags Before and After Modchip

madmon

I have a xbox 1.0 here that fragged the day I got it. I thought "oh HDD probably died I'll just install a modchip". Well after installing said modchip I'm still met with 3 power cycles and the red and green lights with no error codes. Ive checked my soldering, checked that D0 is grounded, checked all caps, I cleaned the board after removing the clock cap, inspected traces for any signs of trace rot. Are there any caps that could go that just wouldn't show any sign of swelling or leaking that could cause issues?  

I am suggesting you remove the mod chip and disconnect the D0 wire the try booting with both the Hard Drive and DVD drive disconnected

This way you can rule out the drives as the problem as without the drives you should get a service required message on the screen.

15 minutes ago, madmon said:

Are there any caps that could go that just wouldn't show any sign of swelling or leaking

Caps can appear to be fine and the only sure fired way is to test them with a ESR meter.

17 minutes ago, madmon said:

Well after installing said modchip I'm still met with 3 power cycles and the red and green lights

Is the red/green 50% red then 50% green?

Was there any sign of the Xbox been worked on before you opened it?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

I did try to boot without modchip, HDD, DVD and d0 was disconnect. Still just fragged with no errors. One thing I did notice was once it would frag I could hear the HDD spin up.

Green and red is 50/50

The Xbox did have a Microsoft sticker over top of the factory sticker. I guess it was sent back in for service at some point. 

This is where a Xblast or a Xenium type of modchips can help as they have their own OS

Green/Red Flashing
Problem: The Xbox will restart twice, and then flash red and green. This is known as the FRAG and can be caused by many reasons. Typically when you receive this error you will not have any video. Possible reasons you may get this is a bad bios image, a bad bios chip, the Nvidia MCPX chip is damaged, broken/damaged traces or solder splashes on the mother board.

Fix: If you were doing any kind of soldering work (adding a Modchip or other type of mod) on or around your motherboard, make sure there are no solder splashes or that there are not solder bridges connecting any traces. If there are, desolder them. If you have not done any kind of modding to the unit, then its likely to be caused from a bad tsop image, or a bad chip. Try installing a Modchip to see if you can get the unit to boot. If the Xbox still gives a FRAG then it means another major component is bad and the motherboard needs to be replaced.

So based on this as long as you have soldered the modchip in correctly then you maybe wasting your time.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

This is where a Xblast or a Xenium type of modchips can help as they have their own OS

Green/Red Flashing
Problem: The Xbox will restart twice, and then flash red and green. This is known as the FRAG and can be caused by many reasons. Typically when you receive this error you will not have any video. Possible reasons you may get this is a bad bios image, a bad bios chip, the Nvidia MCPX chip is damaged, broken/damaged traces or solder splashes on the mother board.

Fix: If you were doing any kind of soldering work (adding a Modchip or other type of mod) on or around your motherboard, make sure there are no solder splashes or that there are not solder bridges connecting any traces. If there are, desolder them. If you have not done any kind of modding to the unit, then its likely to be caused from a bad tsop image, or a bad chip. Try installing a Modchip to see if you can get the unit to boot. If the Xbox still gives a FRAG then it means another major component is bad and the motherboard needs to be replaced.

So based on this as long as you have soldered the modchip in correctly then you maybe wasting your time.

Cheers

SS Dave

Yup I was using an open Xenium. Guess the box is dead, I might try to use my hotair station and reflow the nvidia chip before I Start to strip parts from it.