OGXbox.com

Strange Disc Tray Boot Issue

dbthundercat

Hi Everyone, 

I picked up another XBOX on eBay that was really clean never been opened. It has a strange issue though, if you power on it will take about 1-2 minutes to boot to the dashboard. 

If you power on and open the disc tray during the start-up animation it will boot straight away. 

I opened the XBOX and the clock capacitor had leaked so that got removed and 3 more capacitors had popped so they got replaced today. The motherboard has been completely cleaned. 

The disc drive works fine once powered up and games run no problem. 

Anyone had this issue? Is the disc drive on its way out? 

Thanks in advance :)

Is it a Philips DVD drive?

I would test the Xbox with a different DVD drive and you could also try a No-DVD check BIOS but that will require  you to ModChip it or TSOP flash it.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

Is it a Philips DVD drive?

I would test the Xbox with a different DVD drive and you could also try a No-DVD check BIOS but that will require  you to ModChip it or TSOP flash it.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

It is a Phillips drive!

I'll swap the drive from my other Xbox tomorrow and see if that sorts it. 

Is the drive repairable if it is that that's causing the issue? 

18 minutes ago, dbthundercat said:

Is the drive repairable if it is that that's causing the issue? 

The  last Philips DVD  I saw had trace damage at the via points and was classified as beyond economical repair .

The black circles are the problem ones and the yellow are not to far from also been big problems as well.

3NSWoNg.thumb.jpg.63903338f12b4b6c74384864f80eb181.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

What causes the trace damage?

I ask because I had one used Philips I bought that was working fail on me this year and another used one I had in a used Xbox bought for parts that works only intermittently.

The misdirection as to the cause of the problem ie. the error 7 using the Philips provoked, almost cost me a working Xbox MB. 

Error 7 is it's taking to long fo the HDD to reply to a data request, possibly a dying HDD, faulty IDE lead or a DVD drive blocking the data getting to the mainboard.

I have seen that on a modded Xbox some time ago and think back I reflash the BIOS to fix it, So possibly a bad BIOS or a TSOP chip that was becoming corrupted.

Damage to the traces in a Philips DVD (and not just Philips DVD's I have seen the same is Philips car radios) I am unsure as normally I would say some sort of liquid but not in this case, Maybe a connamitated PCB wash was used.

Cheers

SS Dave

The error 7 with that DVD drive mention is universal - it was my first Aladdin chip/pinheader install intially. I do believe that was working properly now and it was just the Philips DVD going missing that caused the error I thought was due to my dodgy soldering of the pin header. 

Since then I've tested the DVD drive on other machines both softmod and TSOP and the error 7 repeats.

1 hour ago, HDShadow said:

Since then I've tested the DVD drive on other machines both softmod and TSOP and the error 7 repeats.

I don't think it will help but try a no DVD BIOS  the EvoxM8.67 as this one is set in the .bin file where the others need to access the HDD to read the config file 1st then boot.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1