OGXbox.com

TSOP splitting

T2Steve

split.jpg.a141c489c6dae308bdae932238cb51b7.jpg

Just a little info on splitting the TSOP. I used a single switch with A19. That lets me use either of the banks. This also is a fix for a TSOP that has ben force flashed with 256 k bios but the bios chip has a 1 meg capacity.

and below are a few pics of how I did my install. First is my solder job on the three points. Red is A19 on mine so it goes to the center pin.

18121129_10158615489535230_7693575658837779858_o.thumb.jpg.216dfcf95eb81a9121f4fa23f8e1d8ba.jpg

ignore the black wire in that pic. that's how I bridge the TSOP points. To keep the install nice and clean I used wires with female pin header on them.

18156024_10158615492700230_3863318680227397150_o.thumb.jpg.80c013fc068363521d6b768ecae2a4f5.jpgso that I can remove and alter the position of the on/on switch that either powers or grounds A19

18156522_10158615583130230_3513768352695526995_o.thumb.jpg.a4f683e456cddac18e4bc9cdd8c06588.jpg

easy to remove switch. Just have to push the headers onto the pins. Something that is not mentioned in the first pic is that forcing power or ground to A19 can heat up one of the chips on the xbox and eventually cause it to fail. You can bypass this by cutting a trace and forcing it to be split into 512k permanently. If you do this the chip wont get over hot, and you will need to rely on the switch to access one bank of the chip (by default it'll boot one and not the other? that I'm not certain of but makes logical sense to me) so here is where i cut the trace.18121202_10158615504815230_8211936272153047593_o.thumb.jpg.65843fdfedbd8cb820ef13735b46edff.jpg

Just enough space between the four via and if you are careful but not careful enough you wont accidentally sever multiple traces.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Bit of a thread necro, but here goes anyway.

I am looking to 4 way split the tsop in a 1.0 console I just got my hands on.  I vaguely recall reading somewhere, and I cant find the thread now, that if you have both switches wired up, you no longer need to cut the trace?   Am I correct?  or is my memory faulty....

40 minutes ago, clueless said:

I am looking to 4 way split the tsop in a 1.0 console I just got my hands on.  I vaguely recall reading somewhere, and I cant find the thread now, that if you have both switches wired up, you no longer need to cut the trace?   Am I correct?  or is my memory faulty....

Dude, you're clueless. ;)

5 hours ago, clueless said:

It has also been recommended by the Xbox-Linux group to NOT split the TSOP by forcing address lines high or low.  It may work correctly for some BIOSes flashed to the various 256KB sections of the 1MB flash memory chip but not others.  And, you may destroy the MCPX in the process.

Why you shouldn't do TSOP Splitting - Xbox-Linux (archive.org)

18 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

It has also been recommended by the Xbox-Linux group to NOT split the TSOP by forcing address lines high or low.  It may work correctly for some BIOSes flashed to the various 256KB sections of the 1MB flash memory chip but not others.  And, you may destroy the MCPX in the process.

Why you shouldn't do TSOP Splitting - Xbox-Linux (archive.org)

Damn!  There goes my whole reason for chasing a 1.0 console in the first place.

So in light of that, if I were to build a 1mb bios consisting of say for example cerbios in bank 1,2 and m8+ in the other two, if I screw up the cerbios for some reason I should be able to "three wire" the system to boot again right?

or I'm wondering if there is a way to be able to have that config as a switch.  Position 1: whole tsop active, position 2: only bank 3,4 for recovery

6 hours ago, clueless said:

Damn!  There goes my whole reason for chasing a 1.0 console in the first place.

So in light of that, if I were to build a 1mb bios consisting of say for example cerbios in bank 1,2 and m8+ in the other two, if I screw up the cerbios for some reason I should be able to "three wire" the system to boot again right?

or I'm wondering if there is a way to be able to have that config as a switch.  Position 1: whole tsop active, position 2: only bank 3,4 for recovery

Unless you do split the TSOP, it may not work.  Some of the data structures of the BIOS are read from the start of the flash address space while some are read from the end of the address space.  Thus, some of the information read from the first 256KBs of the flash while others read from the last 256KBS of the flash.

Splitting the TSOP in half by forcing A19 high or low has been used by many people and worked.  However, I prefer to use a modchip if multiple BIOSes are to be booted.  

The Xbox Linux team's main discussion in that article describes the process of only forcing A18 and/or A19 low, not both logic levels low or high.