OGXbox.com

Dual Boot Not Working

mpnet

Hello everyone,

i have a hardmodded 1.6 xbox with EVOM8 bios. When i hit the power button it launches my custom boot logo and then xbmc4gamers.
If i hit the eject button it starts the default flubber and then a black screen. At first i had a error 5 error, but i locked the drive and that message is gone, but now there is a black screen only.
I want the default msdash. It's on the the c drive, but do i need to put it in a specific directory, or do something else?

Greetings,
Mpnet

My guess is that you don't have a "xboxdash.xbe" on the C:\drive.

If the chip is meant to be launching the MS dash using the eject button that should be telling it to boot using the retail BIOS. Being a v1.6 it can't have been TSOPed and therefore changed that so it is likely this is the problem.

Any chance the Xbox was softmodded first? That would have left a C:\xboxdash.xbe but re-tasked not to launch the MS dash but to launch either Xbox Live or the Online Dash Updater. Go look in C:\ for any xboxdash.xbe there may be there. Click to launch it and if it goes to a blank screen you have your culprit. Do this offline if the Xbox is networked.

If it is this all you should need to do is find a set of Xbox stock files and just copy the xboxdash.xbe from that into a temporary folder. Test that it works from there using your file manager again and if it does replace the existing one with it. Test it works again in situ then shutdown and restart using the eject button and it should boot to the MS dash. 

I do not recognise some of the things on your C:\drive: you'd think the "evoxdash.xbe" is your main dash but the file is only 136KB so is most likely a shortcut to your main dash which, as it is XBMC4Gamers, is possibly in the dashloader folder. Maybe this is what the C:\ drive with XBMC4Gamers installed looks like now but it seems a bit messy.

What is that xb0xdash.xbe doing there? The size suggests it is the final MS 5960 dash so what is the xboxdash.xbe? Again from the size it looks like an earlier version MS dash but you can't tell what it boots just from the size.

The dualboot folder contents are the obvious the thing of interest as regards this matter.

You are using Evox M8+ BIOS so there's no separate BIOS configuration file involved and, the dualboot item is a folder not a dualboot.xbe as might be the case if this was a TSOP set up for dual boot. That is unless the evoxdash.xbe shortcut is set up to launch it from the dualboot folder.

In short we need to see whatever is in the dualboot and dashloader folders too. If there is a configuration text file in the dualboot folder I'd expect it to show the two paths being used. 

I still think it is the xboxdash.xbe at the root of the problem but there are questions to be asked about why the dualboot suddenly stopped working too.

Edited by HDShadow

I started the xboxdash.xbe in file manager and get a black screen. The i started the xb0xdash.xbe and get the default dash. I deleted the xboxdash.xbe and rename the xb0xdash.xbe to xboxdash.xbe and now it's working again. The dualboot folder is empty. If i start the evoxdash.xbe on c it starts xbmc4gamers, so it looks like a shortcut. I think i must change this in the evo bios to redirect it to the E drive straight away where xbmc4gamers is. I'm very new on modding, so in the beginning i'm not really nowing what i must do to get everything working right. I deleted some folders on E to clean some files, but on c i'm a little bit on the save side so i don't mess things up. Are there directory's or files i savely can remove on C?

In the screen my E drive @ the moment (on F and G there are only Game folders) and the c:\dashloader folder.

cdash.JPG

eschijf.JPG

TBH I'm not sure what can be removed from C in this case.

Rocky5 XBSMT puts a of stuff on C:\ which is essential but being a chipped machine running XBMC4Gamers I'm not sure what files folders are required. It looks to me like a mishmash of softmod and original files that hasn't been cleaned up. But maybe that's normal.

In theory all you need are the original MS dash files plus your main dash (in this case a shortcut to the XBMC4Gamers folder default.xbe). Therefore the bios, dashloader, dualboot, shadowC, bios and XBlast are not needed. However not knowing XBMC4Gamers I'd leave them where they are for the time being.

https://old.reddit.com/r/originalxbox/comments/dkshyf/cant_flash_with_xblast_os_v056/

So I was correct in thinking the xboxdash.xbe was the problem. That is more evidence of a previous softmod installation but what created or renamed the original MS dash XBE to xb0xdash.xbe? That would be useful understand.

Hexen also leaves cr@p like that

This is my C drive.

I have set the dasl boot order in the config file to load E:xbmc/default.xbe (XBMC4Gamers) then it looks for C evoxdash.xbe

1387741519_3tbcdrive.PNG.56555deef3182f82af21e4fc176af3bb.PNG

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

6 hours ago, HDShadow said:

TBH I'm not sure what can be removed from C in this case.

Rocky5 XBSMT puts a of stuff on C:\ which is essential but being a chipped machine running XBMC4Gamers I'm not sure what files folders are required. It looks to me like a mishmash of softmod and original files that hasn't been cleaned up. But maybe that's normal.

In theory all you need are the original MS dash files plus your main dash (in this case a shortcut to the XBMC4Gamers folder default.xbe). Therefore the bios, dashloader, dualboot, shadowC, bios and XBlast are not needed. However not knowing XBMC4Gamers I'd leave them where they are for the time being.

https://old.reddit.com/r/originalxbox/comments/dkshyf/cant_flash_with_xblast_os_v056/

So I was correct in thinking the xboxdash.xbe was the problem. That is more evidence of a previous softmod installation but what created or renamed the original MS dash XBE to xb0xdash.xbe? That would be useful understand.

Yes you were correct, the xboxdash.xbe was the problem. I also think it happend with the wrong options selected in the Hexen and Rocky5 dvds (i tested\play with both dvds in the beginning on 2 different xbox setups).

I test in the future if i can delete some files on c and flash my bios so the standard location from the dash first point to e:\xmbc4gamers dash.

Edited by mpnet

5 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Hexen also leaves cr@p like that

This is my C drive.

I have set the dasl boot order in the config file to load E:xbmc/default.xbe (XBMC4Gamers) then it looks for C evoxdash.xbe

1387741519_3tbcdrive.PNG.56555deef3182f82af21e4fc176af3bb.PNG

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Thx for sharing your c drive Dave. It give a good starting point what i can delete or not. I don't have a config, but i know i can change the standaard dash boot order if i flash the bios (i already did this in the beginning to changing dvd check, igr and colors for the logo's, but didn't change boot orders in that point of time)

Edited by mpnet

This drive is setup so it can boot from any hard modded (TSOP flashed, Modchip)Xbox and with either iND,5004, X2-5035, EvoxM8

The EvoxM8 bios need to have dash 1 set to E/xbmc/default.xbe

Here is a pic of my E drive

1452598364_Edrive.PNG.6bdfade25b067f47ed83ef5fb5a62c29.PNG

If you are only using the EvoxM8 bios you don't need the config files 

And I just noticed I have got the wrong config file on C drive for the iND bios it should be ind-bios.cfg

Cheers

SS Dave

4 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

This drive is setup so it can boot from any hard modded (TSOP flashed, Modchip)Xbox and with either iND,5004, X2-5035, EvoxM8

The EvoxM8 bios need to have dash 1 set to E/xbmc/default.xbe

Here is a pic of my E drive

1452598364_Edrive.PNG.6bdfade25b067f47ed83ef5fb5a62c29.PNG

If you are only using the EvoxM8 bios you don't need the config files 

And I just noticed I have got the wrong config file on C drive for the iND bios it should be ind-bios.cfg

Cheers

SS Dave

Thx to share your E drive setup. I will cleanup my c and e drive to get a clean environment.

So a lot of that 'mess' was due to HeXEn it would seem.

SS_Dave's C:\ drive is practically the same as my Xecuter chipped Xbox except for the BIOS config file, because I too am using Evox M8+ BIOS. As I said, it is really just the original MS dash with the addition of your main dash XBE.

With AID if you're installing a XBMC as a main dash it'll do it like it is shown in his E:\ drive too (minus the BIOS config of course). With AID's 1-Click Softmod menu option it'll put a evoxdash.xbe shortcut on E:\ pointing to the E:\XBMC\default.xbe. If you're using a chip and select the 1-Click Chip/TSOP menu option it'll put that on C:\ instead. 

Nice, clean and simple.

No need to mess with the BIOS although you could of course edit Evox M8+ boot priority using the EVTool I'd still leave C:\evoxdash.xbe as the primary but change the secondary to use E:\XBMC\default.xbe or whatever XBMC flavour you've installed.

The default Evox M8+ boot order is C:\evoxdash.xbe, C:\avadash.xbe, C:\nexgen.xbe and C:\xboxdash.xbe so the middle two could and I'd even say should be changed as they're long redundant. Even Avalaunch doesn't use a avadash.xbe now.

But BIOS installers like HeXEn customise the BIOS boot order and use specific locations for the boot priority tailored to their own main dash install system. That is why it is not a good idea to mix tools. I thinks that is a warning also provided in the HeXEn notes and/or dialogue screens. If you do you need to be sure about those paths before editing anything.

Thx for all the tips and tricks. I flash my bios and clean C and E drive. Everything still working (including the Dual Boot).

First default boot is now XBMC4Gamers
Second boot is EvolutionX (i called it default.xbe, so i can switch to any dash in the future)
Last boot is the standard Xbox Dash

See the screens for the "clean" setup:

biosupdate.JPG

cdrivenew.JPG

edrivenew.JPG

Edited by mpnet
  • Like 1