OGXbox.com

Are These Good Capacitors?

bulkchart32

25 minutes ago, bulkchart32 said:

back in the early days of my working on xbox's, i used these caps https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DYJERPC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to replace the thre in front of the cpu/gpu. can anyone tell me if they are good for this application or do i need to change them?

Nichicon are good caps if they are authentic. There are certain sellers that slap a nichicon label on an inferior cap and resell it for more than it's worth. 

9 hours ago, OGXbox Admin said:

Nichicon are good caps if they are authentic. There are certain sellers that slap a nichicon label on an inferior cap and resell it for more than it's worth. 

how can i tell if these are fake? i've also read that this series is just a standard cap and not low esr. will that matter?

The Nichicon series VZ cap ratings are 3300 microfarads  6.3 Vdc max operating voltage, 105 degree C max operating temperature with a rated endurance (operating life) of 1000 hours and a maximum ripple current of 840 milliamps.  They have no ESR specification given so they are not low or ultra-low ESR caps like the originals.

If they are Nichicon UHM series ultra-low ESR 3,300 microfarad caps rated for 6.3 Vdc max voltage use. They have an endurance of 2,000 hours.

Other specifications vary depending upon which one (1) of the three (3) available versions they were (determined by their dimensions):

1. UHM0J332MPD - Dimensions: 10mm diameter x 25 mm height, max ripple current: 2800 milliamps, ESR: 12 milliohms;
  2. UHM0J332MPD6 - Dimensions: 12.5mm diameter x 20mm height, max ripple current: 3000 milliamps, ESR: 11 milliohms;
  3. UHM0J332MPD9 - Dimensions: 10mm x 20mm height, max ripple current: 2550 milliamps, ESR: 13 milliohms

I've not measured the original capacitor's dimensions to know which.

They however were discontinued over a decade ago. If someone is selling them today, they are beyond their shelf life several times over. DO NOT buy them.

The closest match I've found that are currently available from Nichicon are their UHW series. There's only one version available UHW0J332MPD with the following specifications:

Capacitance: 3300 microfarads
Rated Max. Voltage Use: 6.3 Vdc
Max Operating Temp: 105 degrees Celsius
Endurance: 10,000 hours
Dimensions: 10mm diameter x 25 mm height
Max ripple current: 2900 milliamps
ESR: 17 milliohms

Available from mouser.com here and other electronic parts supply houses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

The Nichicon series VZ cap ratings are 3300 microfarads  6.3 Vdc max operating voltage, 105 degree C max operating temperature with a rated endurance (operating life) of 1000 hours and a maximum ripple current of 840 milliamps.  They have no ESR specification given so they are not low or ultra-low ESR caps like the originals.

If they are Nichicon UHM series ultra-low ESR 3,300 microfarad caps rated for 6.3 Vdc max voltage use. They have an endurance of 2,000 hours.

Other specifications vary depending upon which one (1) of the three (3) available versions they were (determined by their dimensions):

1. UHM0J332MPD - Dimensions: 10mm diameter x 25 mm height, max ripple current: 2800 milliamps, ESR: 12 milliohms;
  2. UHM0J332MPD6 - Dimensions: 12.5mm diameter x 20mm height, max ripple current: 3000 milliamps, ESR: 11 milliohms;
  3. UHM0J332MPD9 - Dimensions: 10mm x 20mm height, max ripple current: 2550 milliamps, ESR: 13 milliohms

I've not measured the original capacitor's dimensions to know which.

They however were discontinued over a decade ago. If someone is selling them today, they are beyond their shelf life several times over. DO NOT buy them.

The closest match I've found that are currently available from Nichicon are their UHW series. There's only one version available UHW0J332MPD with the following specifications:

Capacitance: 3300 microfarads
Rated Max. Voltage Use: 6.3 Vdc
Max Operating Temp: 105 degrees Celsius
Endurance: 10,000 hours
Dimensions: 10mm diameter x 25 mm height
Max ripple current: 2900 milliamps
ESR: 17 milliohms

Available from mouser.com here and other electronic parts supply houses.

what will using standard cap vs an low esr cap do to the xbox? will it change the performance in any way?