OGXbox.com

Oled 20x4 Display Screen Installed - Looks Nice.

trencherfield

Hi folks,

Thought I'd share a pic of a nice Newhaven Display OLED which works nicely with the OpenXenium for me.

I just used the Arduino Pro Micro but not on the spi2par2019 board, since it's oled (no backlight etc), plus it's no use anyway since oled has a 20 pin varied connector that doesn't match obviously. You need to be careful setting the pins up.

It's using the same hd44780 parallel 6800 4-bit interface (not i2c) - I just set the oled using jumpers soldered on the back as per pdf. I added the initialisation code into the .ino and changed some of the hd44780 commands up as well. You also have to edit the liquidcrystal library too - bit of a faff, I'm no coder but managed in the end after a week. 🙃

You can get it on Mouser etc, different colours. Ugh it's £22.80 plus the vat though 😖

Rough first youtube vid on ipad - turn up volume.

OLED.jpg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, trencherfield said:

just fitted it now into the front panel after having the dreaded dremmel on the go (one slip and disaster) or is that just me 🤣

It's not just you, dremel's has a mind of their own.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finished building the Xbox with the OLED installed. Managed to go in without an 'overcut' since I had a bit of patience for once and cut inside the lines, then used a file, 🥵

As promised a few pics (though the camera hated the brightness & blue colour, had to shine lighting on it)

Decided to do a Hotachi/LG flashed 8050L pc drive too for it since the dvd was capput as usual. Take ages to get the dvd tray sitting flush perfectly and all 6 case screws in too. Have to modify the dvd drive metal and plastic chassis to do that - a right chore.

It's running a nice original 200GB IDE Maxtor that was bought new for an xbox - so not been hammered.

Green lan led & blue 5mm hd led - both waterclear flat tops.

Cheers all.

oled pic.jpeg

dvd2xbox copying.jpeg

dvd board.jpeg

side shot.jpeg

playing.jpeg

inside.jpeg

vent view arduino & xenium.jpeg

Edited by trencherfield
pics
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
14 hours ago, DAVBERE said:

Hello trencherfield could you post the diagram you used for the install please ?

And or photos showing the wired connections of your install ?

I found a schematic diagram by NeMesiS, but I am unsure of how to wire pin 18 of the Pro Micro.

Regards

Hi,

Unfortunately I sold the Xbox and have no pictures of the wiring on the back. I just wired it up to the spec of the PDF suitable for the HD44780 spec even though the OLED doesn't say it's supports it, I just set it to the same bit spec.

After that I opened up the spi2par2019 code in the IDE suite and added the OLED initialisation code and changed the existing header instructions and added more code instruction to set the display lines correctly.

Then I made a final change to the LCD library in the Arduino suite for the 3rd & 4th lines register as it was different for the OLED.

I just did it off-bat so to speak. I percivered until I got the 'Xenium OS 2.3.1' to display nicely centered. Then everythign was perfect.

I've noticed others using just SDi like the diagram you posted don't seem to display the xenium os correctly at start. I went with the original HD44780 spec which avoided those issues.

Regards.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 10/15/2020 at 6:25 PM, trencherfield said:

Finished building the Xbox with the OLED installed. Managed to go in without an 'overcut' since I had a bit of patience for once and cut inside the lines, then used a file, 🥵

As promised a few pics (though the camera hated the brightness & blue colour, had to shine lighting on it)

Decided to do a Hotachi/LG flashed 8050L pc drive too for it since the dvd was capput as usual. Take ages to get the dvd tray sitting flush perfectly and all 6 case screws in too. Have to modify the dvd drive metal and plastic chassis to do that - a right chore.

It's running a nice original 200GB IDE Maxtor that was bought new for an xbox - so not been hammered.

Green lan led & blue 5mm hd led - both waterclear flat tops.

Cheers all.

oled pic.jpeg

dvd2xbox copying.jpeg

dvd board.jpeg

side shot.jpeg

playing.jpeg

inside.jpeg

vent view arduino & xenium.jpeg

Trench that was cut with a dremel? It looks REALLY good.