XEcuter2 Mod Chip - Boot Time Issue

All, 

I just recently ressurected my old xbox, and upgraded it to a 2tb drive. I had to upgrade the bios on the chip in order to properly have the system see all the new space. I did so by using the hexen disc. So this worked, but now if i use the Xecutor bios, it takes a little over 10 seconds for it to get to the boot animation screen. If i use evox, its a little quicker, but not by that much. Anything i can do to increase the speed? On the old xecutor bios it was instantaneous. 

Thanks in advance!

Edited by thebigjoe1@gmail.com
10 minutes ago, thebigjoe1@gmail.com said:

X2.5035 / evox m8plus from the hexen 2020 dvd

The X2-5035 will be looking for the config file on C drive and that will slow it down heaps if it can't find it

The Evox M8 Bios is one of my favorites. Try flashing  this version

evox_m8+_67_NO-DVD.bin

or putting this in the root directory of C drive

x2config.ini

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

8 hours ago, thebigjoe1@gmail.com said:

you were correct about the ini file for xecutor bios. It was on the E drive. i moved it to the C. No noticeable difference. I will flash your bios for Evox. 

Thanks 

I have found the EvoxM8 bios the quickest booting.

The X2-5035 and iND-5004 both need to see there associated config file to boot correctly but that causes a delay as the config is on the HDD.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• 5 months later...

SS_Dave, hope you can help me as well.  I also have an Xecutor2 mod chip and I've recently performed the hard drive upgrade to 500GB with Hexen.  In the Hexen menu, it shows the full 480GB or so available on F drive however once it loads up normally, I've also got the issue of have an old BIOS not recognising the larger drive.  Issue is, my chip seems to be locked / protected and I cant flash it.  I've had a look at the chip and I cant seem to find any switches on it to 'unprotect' it.  Is there another way that I can flash my BIOS to something newer and in turn get the full 480GB showing?

thanks!!

6 minutes ago, GooseBaby said:

SS_Dave, hope you can help me as well.  I also have an Xecutor2 mod chip and I've recently performed the hard drive upgrade to 500GB with Hexen.  In the Hexen menu, it shows the full 480GB or so available on F drive however once it loads up normally, I've also got the issue of have an old BIOS not recognising the larger drive.  Issue is, my chip seems to be locked / protected and I cant flash it.  I've had a look at the chip and I cant seem to find any switches on it to 'unprotect' it.  Is there another way that I can flash my BIOS to something newer and in turn get the full 480GB showing?

thanks!!

Can you post  pic of the mod chip and the switches if it has any.

Cheers

SS Dave

Hi SS Dave.  Thanks for replying.  I finally worked it out.  I have 2 LED's at the front of the console, one green the other red.  Red is usually always on when it's in 'chipped' mode so I held in the power button for 10secs while it booted and then both the red and green LED's lit up and behold, chip is flashable.  Have now flashed and is recognising the larger HD as it should so all good now.  Once I turn off and turn on power normally, it 'protects' itself again from accidental flashing. 

Cheers  

On 3/6/2021 at 4:21 AM, GooseBaby said:

Hi SS Dave.  Thanks for replying.  I finally worked it out.  I have 2 LED's at the front of the console, one green the other red.  Red is usually always on when it's in 'chipped' mode so I held in the power button for 10secs while it booted and then both the red and green LED's lit up and behold, chip is flashable.  Have now flashed and is recognising the larger HD as it should so all good now.  Once I turn off and turn on power normally, it 'protects' itself again from accidental flashing. 

Cheers  

Can you please post a picture of these LEDS and the modchip? 

I'd like to see which modchip it is as I don't recall a modchip requiring such a scheme to enable flashing.

Well that last statements not quite true, some Aladdin modchips required holding the power button for 5+ seconds to enable  flashing.

It is basically a cheap mod and back then the executer bios was the latest out and i did read some where it was $39 usd around 2004

The TSOP on that board has the same bios size (256kb)

Cheers

SS Dave

7 hours ago, GooseBaby said:

thanks again.  Good to know what I've got under the hood :)  Has worked flawlessly and does the job.  And the fact I can still flash it after all these years is a bonus!!

You may be able to flash it.  All depends if they've connected the appropriate pin on the SST49LF020A to Write Enable the chip.  Not all versions of a cheapmod-based design did so.

Do you have more pictures inside the console showing all of the connections to/from the mod?

Where do those LEDs connect? 

Can't see all the connections from the flash chip to the motherboard