OGXbox.com

Counter-Strike Map Packs?

mothchip

A while back, I stumbled on this thread where someone had put together a pack of classic/beta Counter-Strike maps that would work with the Xbox release. Since I recently set up a modded Xbox, I installed the pack last night to try it out. Works great! Well, except water is black in some levels, but that's no big deal. This pack is especially worth installing as it adds in maps that should have been included anyway, like cs_assault and de_nuke. (Be sure to backup your files before installing, it replaces an SXWAD and the default.xbe)

Later in that thread, BIASOPINION mentions working on another map pack full of fight yard (fy_) maps called "CSX+Fightyards". I found posts about it on other forums, including a list of the included maps. There's also mention of a "CSX-2010" map pack with new maps. Unfortunately, it seems the only way to get these was to register at csxmaps.tk or csxmoddingforum.tk and request the files. Both sites are long dead, and Archive.org didn't seem to retain a working copy of either.

Does anyone know if these map packs were ever released? Can anyone share a copy?

I don't seem able to edit my post anymore, but I have a slight update. I found a couple more CS map packs on Archive.org: "CSX Raging Mappack", "CSX Tournament Map Pack", and "Counter Strike Demons Install". Not sure what the story is behind these, but I'm going to make copies of my CS disc again and try each of them out. Maybe they can be combined into one pack? I think the default.xbe has to be modified somehow to change the full list of maps, but maybe there's an easier way to do it.

14 hours ago, mothchip said:

I don't seem able to edit my post anymore, but I have a slight update. I found a couple more CS map packs on Archive.org: "CSX Raging Mappack", "CSX Tournament Map Pack", and "Counter Strike Demons Install". Not sure what the story is behind these, but I'm going to make copies of my CS disc again and try each of them out. Maybe they can be combined into one pack? I think the default.xbe has to be modified somehow to change the full list of maps, but maybe there's an easier way to do it.

this is my archive, im the one who uploaded these and apparently demons install is all modded packs into one thats already playable so theres no need for the og disc or any other mod packs as far as im aware

So far this is what I've found:

The Demons pack was missing "aim_ea_nightwar" and "mid_air", which I found in one of the other packs (though there is a mid_air0 file which is probably the same map). I also saw fy_Mid_Air and fy_NightWar listed in the game, but I'm not sure if these are those files, just misnamed.

While the Demons pack has a ton of maps, not all of them are available at once. You have to rename "FrontEnd.sxwad" to something else, then remove the 2 from "FrontEnd.sxwad.2" to get the fight yard, ski, and most of the other maps. By default download, it's using the "tournament" pack frontend.

These files don't seem to be referenced in either frontend, and I couldn't find another one that might:

aim_batm
aim_city
aim_ea_nightwar
aim_map_deagle
awp_metro
cs_asult
cs_mansn
cs_training
csde_school_assault
de_fang
de_seat
de_suvivor
de_torn
de_train
de_training
fy_aztec_strike awp
fy_berlinerwall
fy_boomer_glasss
fy_buzzkill
fy_ice3k
fy_iceworld_xxxll
fy_mario
surfcatch_frozen_aks
surfcatch_storm

I've been trying to dig through old forum posts to see how people modified that FrontEnd file. If I can update the map list, I can include all of the maps and clean up the weirdly-named listings.

• 2 weeks later...

My install was the pack available on an old FTP server for an online gaming community which incorporated FightYard, Raging 1, and Raging 2, + a number of other maps Akuma360 was working on porting. He doesn't have any of the packs individually anymore and there are definitely newer versions of some of the maps like aim_crazyjump which are likely lost now. Those 3 packs preceded Tournament in time, hence why the frontend did not incorporate it.

Combining everything + fixing the maps with missing textures has been on my todo list for some time, but I won't have any time till next month to work on it.

Edited by Demon27248

On 10/6/2020 at 11:17 AM, Demon27248 said:

My install was the pack available on an old FTP server for an online gaming community which incorporated FightYard, Raging 1, and Raging 2, + a number of other maps Akuma360 was working on porting. He doesn't have any of the packs individually anymore and there are definitely newer versions of some of the maps like aim_crazyjump which are likely lost now. Those 3 packs preceded Tournament in time, hence why the frontend did not incorporate it.

Combining everything + fixing the maps with missing textures has been on my todo list for some time, but I won't have any time till next month to work on it.

Oh wow, the fact you're still willing to work on it is really great to hear! Is there anything I can do to help? I was poking around in some of the files with MultiEx Commander but couldn't find the map list and stalled on it, then other stuff had my attention for a while.

• 4 weeks later...