OGXbox.com

XBox Development Kit (Dvt4) Pcb Photos

I recently acquired a Development Kit (DVT4) and decided to take some high-quality photos of the daughter boards from this console. They're pretty rare and obscure and I wanted to take some good photos for preservation's sake. I'm going to get a Raptor PCI card soon, so I'll add photos of that too later.

More info-
These boards were in development kits and consisted of two parts:

• DVD emulation board.
    • When paired with a Raptor XDK PCI card installed into a computer, it allows a developer to master a game disc before sending a final copy to Microsoft for review, and later into production. This allowed them to test loading scenarios and figure out where certain files for the game should be physically located on a disc in order to reduce load times. When loading a level for a game, for example, all the files needed for that level could be grouped together on the disc to reduce the amount of skipping around the laser needed to do, which decreases load times.
    • There is also a USB port on this card. While it uses a USB connector, it's actually a JVS port. This was used for hooking up arcade sticks and special components built for Sega Chihiro arcade cabinets, which is based on the Xbox's motherboard.
  • Serial debugging port
    • This allows a developer to get debugging information from the Xbox to see how their code is behaving on real hardware. When writing software, it's useful to see technical info about when and how a bug happens in order to fix it. This board connects to a PC's serial port to read diagnostic info from the console in real time.

More info: https://xboxdevwiki.net/Development_Kits

Photos taken with a Canon 5D Mark iii, touched up in Lightroom.

Link to photo album (includes high-res copies of the photos below): https://imgur.com/a/YRb11os

VNFxuyal.jpg

GvZmSnpl.jpg

QxdSg1Bl.jpg

UflnbFtl.jpg

1lAV1o2l.jpg

OZqxKyHl.jpg

• Like 3