OGXbox.com

Problems With Lines On the Screen. Cap Problem?

bulkchart32

https://imgur.com/a/OJsz0Uw please click that link so that u can see a video of what i'm talking about. you'll notice that there are vertical static(static as in fuzzy static on a tv not, static as in "unchanging") lines on the screen when there is a dark scene. the video doesn't show it too well but they are even easier to see in person. that is the opening sequence of xmen legends. i have this problem on 2 of my stock xbox v1.0's and on my modded v1.4(i also have the diagonal lines on it). the lines do not appear on my v1.6's. i've tried it on 2 stock and one modded 1.6 and none of the 3 have the problem. i am connected thru the official hd xbox thing(with the component cable outputs). i'm wondering if it is an issue with certain capacitors that cause this? if so, does anyone know which specific ones cause it? the reason i ask is because it would be a pain to fully recap each board of the xbox when they are functioning perfectly in all other areas so i'd rather just replace the specific ones instead of recapping the whole board. btw, none of the cap are bulging or show obvious wear. i know that the 1.4's are very prone to the diagonal lines because of bad caps but i don't which ones are the problem.

3 hours ago, bulkchart32 said:

what do u mean by switching video modes?

I think he means resolutions. in the MS Dashboard you can set 480p, 720p, and 1080i. For HDTV's I'd say just enable 480p and 720p. If that doesn't help, I've heard earlier units with the Conexant encoder have jailbars (lines on screen), but also have the best component output, bit of a double edged sword, maybe the caps are influencing the prevalence of it, but I'm not sure.

16 hours ago, bulkchart32 said:

what do u mean by switching video modes?

Is the Xbox set to Pal or NTSC? preferably NTSC 480,720

I have also had capacitors that look fine but test below the rated value so it could still be caps at fault.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

9 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Is the Xbox set to Pal or NTSC? preferably NTSC 480,720

I have also had capacitors that look fine but test below the rated value so it could still be caps at fault.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

it's ntsc and xmen runs at 720p. which caps should i pay special attention to?

44 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

The caps next to the heatsink as they filter the GPU/CPU power.

Cheers

SS Dave

i think i already did those on my modded 1.4(i need to open it up to be certain), are there any others i should pay special attention to?

8 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

The caps next to the heatsink as they filter the GPU/CPU power.

Cheers

SS Dave

ok. i took some pics and videos. here they are https://imgur.com/a/PfyrG54 . in the videos, u can see how the screen has diagonal lines during a black screen. u can also see some of the vertical lines when xmen legends is loading. in one of the pics you'll see that a put blue x's on some of the cap. those are ones i've changed and used brand new caps. in the other pic you'll see that i circled 2 caps by the focus chip and labeled them A and B. which of these caps filters power for the focus chip and is that a possible culprit? i also changed out the power supply from a delta to a foxcon since i heard that foxcon aren't suppose to be as prone to cause the diagonal line problem. also, what else do u think the problem could be? side note: i know that i wasn't very clean with this build but i didn't have an air compressor handy to blow it out well and i made it for personal use so i wasn't concerned about it looking professional.

try your xbox on another TV/Monitor, i have a cheap little vizio i think its a 20" that looks really sharp and clean with all my xbox consoles, but i also have a cheap vizio 65" tv that has the same vertical jail bar issues that you have, i have tested cheap component cables, the official microsoft hd av pack as well as a few different wii2hdmi modded adapters and they all had this issue on that tv, also changing your TV's contrast and brightness settings will allow you to tone down those jail bars to where you can hardly see them

2 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Cap A is part of the power supply for the Video and cap B is for the DAC power supply.

Cheers

SS Dave

what's dac? and will changing either one effect the picture?

Edited by bulkchart32

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...