OGXbox.com

Anybody Know This Mod

dertio

Well a little history behind this dvd drive, my first console was a 1.0 xbox with dvd drive fault(the one who distroy disk) bad power supply and caps disaster, so in the 2010 or 2012 that console decides die frying the nvidia chipset the mpcx3 or something 🙈 but that was the last time turn on.... anyway the think is the first time that console fail my father take to a repair shop (change the dvd drive) so that dvd drive Has been with me since 2005, so today I disassemble that dvd drive coz It was getting stuck when open or closed the tray plus bad motor belt, so the interesting stuff I found is the dvd drive was hacked or modded with wires soldered inside to specific points

I remember read something about that a lot time ago modding lg dvd drivers and flashing a custom firmware in the drive but I dunno if was true or just a random guy on internet, anyway here some pics about that mod also to make work that driver I need grab power from the hdd molex connector

IMG-20200916-130940.jpg

IMG-20200916-131024.jpg

The yellow wires end in the dvd conector on the Xbox make work like a original one

Edited by dertio

tut on finding the open/close/ready points:

https://web.archive.org/web/20030608143129/http://www.coverx.org:80/tutorials.php?id=1

theres some interesting snips on compatible drives here under DVD drive: https://xboxdevwiki.net/Hardware_Revisions

"If the firmware from this drive is applied to a SAMSUNG 616T or 616F PC dvd drive it will behave as a Xbox one", i assume that means original discs work. but tracking one down to buy maybe just as difficult as any other solution

Edited by corona2222
  • Like 1

Yup that's right, those drivers are old and specific one so is dificult find one that the original xbo drive, luckily for me my drive still working well after all this years just needed a maintenance in the tray mechanism, anyway, reading the info I noticed my first xbox was a early 1.0 with seagate hdd, usb daughter board,conexant codec(who I love the sound quality of that) and I guess a thomson drive I dunno the only stuff I remember about that is that drive distroyer my original copy of project ghotam racing 2, halo 1 and 2.

by the way I still having laying around the daughter usb board from my first xbox.

So making maths my first xbox was purchased in December 2001 just fresh out of the oven.... But sadly that console was history a lot time ago

22 hours ago, dertio said:

Wooo that's a lot of information about the mod, just for curiosity about it, can you upload the information? Or is something top secret? 

Nothing top secret. I'm happy to upload the details. The firmware (8050L) and instructions are included in the compressed file. The project requires some decent soldering skills but is worth the effort. Read through everything carefully before diving in. The file is almost 5MB and I am only allowed to upload 2MB here at the moment. Perhaps there is another way to make everything available.

Great dude, about the file size, try use mediafire or mega but I don't know if this forum is enemy of external download links, if not split the file on 4 archives of 1.8mb like diskett (uff that was a loooooot time ago) and upload here

If upload the file is a lot of troubles for you well is not like I really need the file so take easy bro