OGXbox.com

Dead Hdd - Clock Cap Caused Issue?

farrdeamer

Hi all,

I recently pulled my OG Xbox out of the garage to set it up for my 9yo to have a play on. Looking forwards to showing it off to her, I tested it and it worked fine but thought I had better remove the clock cap for safety (no leaking but checked to make sure). Then let her have a go at a game - worked fine. Then after rebooting, error 12.... 

I took the drive and put it on the PC and quickly took an image of it using HDDRawcopy, which showed around 8 bad sectors and the drive was reporting SMART errors too, so it's toast.

I got a larger SATA drive and put it in using an amazon purchase IDE-SATA adapter, but still get the error 12 - is there any way to read the drive on a PC and repair the damage/reinstall whatever is used to boot (as there was a lovely setup of xecutor2 dashboards on there I would rather not lose).

Otherwise, if there is no way to recover it.  I tried using Tru Hexen 2020 to try and setup another drive, but the DVD won't boot (HDD is set to slave, I get error 17) 

Any help gratefully appreciated (it's a hard modded unit- xectutor 2 from memory)...

3 hours ago, farrdeamer said:

Hi all,

I recently pulled my OG Xbox out of the garage to set it up for my 9yo to have a play on. Looking forwards to showing it off to her, I tested it and it worked fine but thought I had better remove the clock cap for safety (no leaking but checked to make sure). Then let her have a go at a game - worked fine. Then after rebooting, error 12.... 

I took the drive and put it on the PC and quickly took an image of it using HDDRawcopy, which showed around 8 bad sectors and the drive was reporting SMART errors too, so it's toast.

I got a larger SATA drive and put it in using an amazon purchase IDE-SATA adapter, but still get the error 12 - is there any way to read the drive on a PC and repair the damage/reinstall whatever is used to boot (as there was a lovely setup of xecutor2 dashboards on there I would rather not lose).

Otherwise, if there is no way to recover it.  I tried using Tru Hexen 2020 to try and setup another drive, but the DVD won't boot (HDD is set to slave, I get error 17) 

Any help gratefully appreciated (it's a hard modded unit- xectutor 2 from memory)...

For a HDD with bad sectors, you can still retrieve files written to good sectors if the files still show up. I personally hook meh drives with an IDE/SATA to USB adapter then open it with Xplorer360.

For the error with setting up Hexen, thats exactly your issue, the drive needs to be set as Master for the XBOX to boot from it. So while Hexen might copy to and set it up, the BIOS wont know to use it as the primary drive unless its set to Master or recognized as a Master drive via Cable Select.

Edited by Boured
Spelling is hard.

2 minutes ago, farrdeamer said:

Thanks guys. I'll give this a go.

I'll set the drive back to Master - the DVD didn't read ,so maybe it's not a good write of the ISO.

If your getting error 12 I sure that's the DVD drive has failed and not the DVD disk.

You could try a different IDE cable as that may be the problem, but I am guessing that you have a Philips DVD drive and the DVD pcb has a problem.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.