OGXbox.com

OpenXEnium Lcd Installation - Zeroes On Display?

GoTeamScotch

I got a SPI2PAR2019 kit and an HD44780 compliant screen and tried to wire it up last night but ran into some problems. The LCD just shows zeroes on the screen. When it first powers up, I see 2 of the 4 lines filled with solid-square characters (two full rows of solid boxes, rows 2 and 4). Then after the Xbox boots up further, the screen goes blank, then shows zeroes (see photo). I'm also seeing some flickering on the screen showing the zeroes.

I checked the wiring diagram of the LCD I'm using and verified that points #1-16 correlate to points #1-16 on my LCD, so I don't think it's that. I also tried powering the arduino with a USB battery bank and that didn't make any difference. I have a 2nd LCD that showed the same issue. I have a 2nd spi2par but haven't wired that in yet. I've enabled LCD options in XBMC to no avail.

SPI2PAR2019 from ChimericSystems.com
White on Blue 20x4 LCD Character Display from CrystalFontz.com
Wired through an OpenXenium modchip.

Thoughts:

• Shorten wire going from spi2par to LCD.
  • Try getting rid of the wire entirely and just soldering the spi2par straight onto the back of the LCD.
  • Perhaps the spi2par doesn't come pre-programmed? Not sure how to tell if it is or not. (I asked the seller for details)

lcd wiring.jpg

lcd zeroes.jpg

spi2par wiring.jpg

xbox.jpg

The length of the lead from the spi2par2019 should not make a difference and the length you have there is about the same as other I have seen. You could try it about 30% shorter if you wanted but i don't think it will make any difference.

Have  you doubled checked the SI and SCK conectoins are the right way around, You could try swapping them it won't do any harm.

The arduino should have been pre programed, But if you go to Ryzee119's github that's on the chip there is instructions and software on how to program the arduino micro.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

30 minutes ago, GoTeamScotch said:

Figured it out.

I thought JP1 meant that pin #1 starts there. Pin #1 actually starts on the opposite end. So, my wiring was backwards.

Now I feel dumb. 😅

Hopefully someone else googling this problem in the future might stumble across my post and learn from my mistake.

That's good to here you sorted it and don't feel bad it's a simple error.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.