OGXbox.com

FerociousOG

you can actualy use a few things for rust....

but let me be crystal clear here, unless the rust is STOPPED and no moisture of any kind ever gets around it..it WILL rust again...i deal with rust on an almostr daily basis rebuilding old cars, and your painted tins can still be rusting under cheep rattle can paint

while you can rattle can over them and get lucky....for now...its not a fix its a bandaid, sure that bandaid in a home may work fine for 10+ years but it can also fail in weeks if you have AC or a humidifier in the home

in the case of delicate console tins i would grab some "evapo rust" (lots of other options here), then take a good look at what the surface looks like afterwords, heck even on a crystal you could save trashed tins with some "effort", if your hell bent on just painting them, sand, wipe with laqure thinner, then shoot with EPOXY PRIMER or some form of "engine paint" ...rustolium is NOT a rust proofer by anymeans and is...garbage

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FerociousOG said:

Thanks guys. I think I figured out why so much rust... Cat urine...  😒🐈... but the mainboard seems to be ok.. 🦨

Dude, I don't even want to know how the cat managed to soak that much of the xbox to cover 60% of the metal shielding in piss, but the mental image was pretty funny. As far as what to do, this suggestion will help with the xbox as well as anything else the cat has urinated on. My last cat started peeing outside of her litter box in her old age once her bad hips made it difficult to climb in and squat. For your use, I would remove the motherboard and shielding from the case, wipe down the shielding and case with distilled vinegar diluted with water, use a scotch bright pad (rough green side of most kitchen sponges) to get the surface rust off the metal, and wipe the shielding and case down with rubbing alcohol before reassembly.

Being that there is no way the cat only pissed on the xbox, here are some suggestions from someone who has been through life with a cat with bad bathroom habits. On tile or hard surfaces, a mixture of distilled vinegar and water will neutralize the ammonia smell, baking soda will help absorb it from the surface, and hydrogen peroxide is a good disinfectant to let sit for a few minutes then wipe down. This will also work on white carpet or fabric, however use on any colored carpet I would highly recommend trying the peroxide on an area that is out of sight to make sure it won't whiten the material before using it anywhere that is out in the open. I suggest that because hydrogen peroxide can remove color from fabrics the same as bleach. Speaking of it, you may also be tempted to use bleach since it is great for cleaning and disinfecting, well, just about everything that isn't a colored garment. Don't ever use bleach to clean up cat pee as cat pee is high in urea that turns into ammonia. Read below for why along with a few very important things.

WARNING:

NEVER MIX VINEGAR AND HYDROGEN PEROXIDE TOGETHER AS IT BECOMES A CORROSIVE ACID THAT IS DANGEROUS TO BREATHE AND WILL IRRITATE SKIN. This is in higher concentrations, but the only safe way is to use them is in succession but avoid mixing them together entirely.

NEVER MIX BLEACH AND AMMONIA (CAT PEE) AS IT BECOMES CHLORINE GAS WHICH IS HIGHLY TOXIC TO BREATHE EVEN IN SMALL CONCENTRATIONS. Trust me, I fucked up and found that out the first time the cat made a mess outside the litter box. Fortunately I was lucky and hadn't poured much before realizing the mistake when there was a pungent chemical smell and my eyes and nose started burning making me clear the room until I was able to ventilate everything out. In lower concentrations it can irritate the hell out of your eyes, nose, and throat and at higher concentrations it can send you to the hospital/kill you. Seriously dangerous shit.

I know we are on an xbox forum and that is way off topic, but many people don't know how dangerous it can be to mix basic shit that's under the kitchen sink or use certain cleaners on certain messes and if I was going to suggest using stuff that can make harmful compounds if mixed together it would have been irresponsible of me not to mention the dangers. Hope all that helps.....

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Its no coincidence there used to be a book called the bomb makers cook book which had s whole chapter on what you could do with the stuff you’ll find in the average kitchen.   
FYI the book is banned basically everywhere, and I only ever saw one copy of it back in the early 80’s owned by a friends whos father was high ranking in the Army.

Back on topic the metal shield isn't really needed. I have several Xboxes that don't have one, with no ill effects.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/28/2020 at 6:07 AM, big F said:

Its no coincidence there used to be a book called the bomb makers cook book which had s whole chapter on what you could do with the stuff you’ll find in the average kitchen.   
FYI the book is banned basically everywhere, and I only ever saw one copy of it back in the early 80’s owned by a friends whos father was high ranking in the Army.

Back on topic the metal shield isn't really needed. I have several Xboxes that don't have one, with no ill effects.

I thought the bottom shielding also acted as ground for the motherboard...Didn't know you could remove it entirely, good to know.

I remove the top shielding as it seems to get in the way when iv upgraded the hard drive and becomes a pain to line everything up and get the top cover to fit snug again.

30 minutes ago, bez84 said:

I remove the top shielding as it seems to get in the way when iv upgraded the hard drive and becomes a pain to line everything up and get the top cover to fit snug again.

What do you meen gets in the way I have never had a problem getting the top back on.

The hard drives are physically the same size.

IMG_20200809_124253.jpg.248246ee0fd29bb4242d959c8a4af685.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Im aware, but for whatever reason when i put it back together with the top shield it doesn't feel snug...more spongey lol

My ide cable folding isn't as good as yours, Look great.

Leaving the top shielding out hasn't seemed to affected the units in anyway and helps with my lack of patience. 

13 hours ago, bez84 said:

Im aware, but for whatever reason when i put it back together with the top shield it doesn't feel snug...more spongey lol

My ide cable folding isn't as good as yours, Look great.

Leaving the top shielding out hasn't seemed to affected the units in anyway and helps with my lack of patience. 

My first Xbox has the same issue no matter how i put it back together it still does the spongy not quite right feel to it.

On 1/23/2021 at 10:11 AM, bez84 said:

20 hours ago, big F said:

My first Xbox has the same issue no matter how i put it back together it still does the spongy not quite right feel to it.

If you use a Startech Sata2Ide adaptor or modify the 4 pin power connector (have a look at the power connector in my pic) or some bending the wire so they are as low as possible the top fits on easley.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2020 at 5:06 PM, sh0rtlife said:

you can actualy use a few things for rust....

but let me be crystal clear here, unless the rust is STOPPED and no moisture of any kind ever gets around it..it WILL rust again...i deal with rust on an almostr daily basis rebuilding old cars, and your painted tins can still be rusting under cheep rattle can paint

while you can rattle can over them and get lucky....for now...its not a fix its a bandaid, sure that bandaid in a home may work fine for 10+ years but it can also fail in weeks if you have AC or a humidifier in the home

in the case of delicate console tins i would grab some "evapo rust" (lots of other options here), then take a good look at what the surface looks like afterwords, heck even on a crystal you could save trashed tins with some "effort", if your hell bent on just painting them, sand, wipe with laqure thinner, then shoot with EPOXY PRIMER or some form of "engine paint" ...rustolium is NOT a rust proofer by anymeans and is...garbage

What are good budget rust proofers? I currently have a crystal xbox I want to repair the metal shielding on, but I'm not sure if its worth using electrolysis to remove the rust, then electroplating it in a layer of tin, zinc, or nickel.

I give lightly rusted cages a light sand and then hit it with a rust converter then a coat of paint.

I did a crystal Xbox and no one has picked up that thee shield is painted silver.

Cheers

SS Dave

8 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

I give lightly rusted cages a light sand and then hit it with a rust converter then a coat of paint.

I did a crystal Xbox and no one has picked up that thee shield is painted silver.

Cheers

SS Dave

That makes total sense. I guess since the plastic is only semi transparent it hides the fact that it's painted a little bit more.