OGXbox.com

Unleashx Skin That Looks Like Msdash

modzhectic24

Most of the UnleashX skin MS dash alikes are pretty horrid TBH even TrueMSdash 2 Green, one of the better ones.

Many of them, like the Athloni variations, just use the rotating Orb, Globe, Cell background and Fog which are actually elements included in the UnleashX skinning 'engine', with dull or ill considered main and menu text fonts and not idea positioning. The rotating Orb is nothing like the original MS dash except in the fact it rotates.

The best of those types is actually the Default blue UnleashX skin. If you want it in Xbox MS Dash green you can find the extracted skin.xml file in some skin packs or forums posts and simply change the colour by editing it with a graphics program.  

Oh come on Shadow. There are two or three other nice out there if you tweak them here and there a bit.  The VisTux is simple but pretty nice skin. Or the Blackbox Jezz Mark3 of which im working right now (black/blue and black/green (default) and maybe a white/iceblue version) to get it work with video previews. I also work on the iND config file to integrate all apps and games ect.. When, and damn, it's a big when (considering how much lines of games i still have to add (apps are done :D ), i'm done i think i will share it here. In case someone will halp adding blocks of games, you're welcome. :D

But i also have to admit, that i use the system9 skin as well since i'm back.

Btw. : @ OGAdmin (Boss, Master) - Something like a hide or expand button would be nice. :)

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny
Typos, a loot of typos......

I saw that on another forum and was going to post about myself. I've been through the archive and there are some UX skin names that don't ring a bell so it does appear it contains some 'rare' UX skins you won't find anywhere else now. Big download though.

What I meant about the MS dash alike skins is that they're attempts to mimic the MS dash using inferior graphical elements and that's exactly what most of them look like.

With UX you're much better off ditching the Orb, Globe and Fog entirely and building something better looking using your own image elements. Alternatively use the other UX skinning capabilities to create IMHO far more attractive and well designed skins like '........Shapes'  and 'No Images' series, the ones embedded in UX.

There are some great UX skins out there; the XBMC Project Mayhem alike ones in particular. They could easily mistaken for an actual XBMC skin.     

11 hours ago, HDShadow said:

I saw that on another forum and was going to post about myself. I've been through the archive and there are some UX skin names that don't ring a bell so it does appear it contains some 'rare' UX skins you won't find anywhere else now. Big download though.

I have downloaded all of them and the first thing i can say that round about 40% of them are girls pictures like already known from EvoX. 10%-15% are Anime/Fantasy stuff. Then a lot of Cars, HipHop and Game themes. Some of them are twice in the pack and some missing the config.ini.

When i find some time and feel bored i will sort the best of them out (No girls, anime, hiphop, cars blablabla themes (i guess i'm to old for that sort of themes)).

11 hours ago, HDShadow said:

What I meant about the MS dash alike skins is that they're attempts to mimic the MS dash using inferior graphical elements and that's exactly what most of them look like.

With UX you're much better off ditching the Orb, Globe and Fog entirely and building something better looking using your own image elements. Alternatively use the other UX skinning capabilities to create IMHO far more attractive and well designed skins like '........Shapes'  and 'No Images' series, the ones embedded in UX.

There are some great UX skins out there; the XBMC Project Mayhem alike ones in particular. They could easily mistaken for an actual XBMC skin.   

About the MS Dash copies i have to agree. They are mostly not that nice. The best i have seen is the one frome the Hexen DVD, at least in my opinion.

The Project Mayhem is a realy nice one but not realy what i like to use every day. Right now i use the System9 because i "write" my config file on that theme. It's a nice clean theme with all i need. I guess thats why i mainly didn't use something like XBMC with the realy nice Origin theme or XBMC4Gamers which is also a fabulous theme (if you can say so). But i also have to admit that i'm in general not a huge fan of the XBMC even when i have to agree that the XBMC (in all of it's flavors) is a nice piece of software. But it's much more as i need. And as someone who didn't can't code or doing gfx that good, UX is something i can deal with (more or less :D ).

If you want you can take a look at my "in work" config i have attached but be warned, it's in german so better don't use it. :D And a screen of the theme (Blackbox Jezz Mark3 true blue) i plan to use for it when i found out how to display the videos in the upper right box. The lower right is then for the system info.

backnew.png

config.xml

• Like 1

Nice skin base - not seen that AFAIK.

Are you sure you meant the previews to be in the top right box. The lower left is more suited to the WS 16:9 video format.

Personally I've found using 3:2 ratio works quite nicely as a lot of previews are not widescreen and there's something 'natural' about that ratio. A 4:3 preview in a 16:9 box can look a bit lost. Rule of thirds thing or it maybe because it is the same as the ratio of a 35mm still camera negative (36x24).  

There's a lot of system info stuff you can use to fill an area of that size, things like Soundtrack, Album, Artist info for background music.

If I have the time I'll post a couple of the things I've done with existing UX skins. I've always been quite pleased with my edits and additions to Manne's "InfraSkin Cyan" which KaosE has in his top ten UX skins. There's also Blackbolt's Console v4 Evox skin which thanks to a tool Rocky5 provided to convert EvoX skins for UX use I've also done a lot of work on.

On 9/7/2020 at 9:32 PM, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Well here are 1700 more skins (found on reddit)

https://archive.org/details/XBUXSkins

Be very careful testing these skins - I recommend using a mirror UX dashboard installed as an app before applying any of them to your main dash.

I say this because I wished I'd remembered that the first (zipped) skin in the archive, $$$Frozen Grace (a Canadian ice-hockey theme) I think is its display name, I had problems with it when I first installed it from another source a couple of years ago. The copy in this skin archive is similarly problematic.

What I could never work out is exactly why it behaves like it does, freezing and not displaying any menu items, at least not properly. Usually when you get problems with UX skins its the background or loading screen JPG/PNG which has been corrupted. But in this case both are good.

Only immediately obvious thing I can see wrong with it is that the IntroMovie uses the wrong path to a missing XMV, at least I do not have it in that location. But the rest of the skin.xml looks OK. Probably some small syntax error.