OGXbox.com

[SOLVED] 1.6 XBox No Lights/Video but Fan Spins

ecksbocksreactor

Hey guys, I've got a 1.6 Xbox that only spins the fan when I hold the power button. As soon as let off the power button, the fan stops. There's no video, and the xbox's eject light does not light up at all. The xbox last worked a few days ago. I unplugged it and when I plugged it back in, the above started.

I've checked the motherboard and the power supply and there are no obvious burn marks or blown capacitors. I also checked the transistor next to the clock capacitor and it showed 3.25V when the power supply is plugged in.

My one area of concern are the five 3300 uF capacitors next to the power supply connection on the motherboard. The tops look a tiny bit bulged. See the attached pics.

Any suggestions on further troubleshooting steps? Should the five caps be replaced?

Thanks for your help.

IMG_6971.jpg

IMG_6964.jpg

IMG_6966.jpg

You definitely need to replace those capacitors and I am pretty sure that's going to fix your problem,

Use a good quality brand low ESR cap of the same value and voltage.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I suggestreplacing all five (5) with Nichicon ultra-low ESR caps, part number UHW0J332MPD, available at mouser.com or digikey.com:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UHW0J332MPD?qs=Ajmft%2BTTukFWyA%2BxZVnteA%3D%3D

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=UHW0J332MPD

These capacitors are polarized.  Make sure you install them with the + and - leads in the same holes as those currently installed on the motherboard.  (There's a negative symbol running down one side of the case and the labeling on the motherboard indicates the + (positive lead) and wide white fill area on the side of the placement circle silkscreen for the negative terminal.

231860775_Xboxv1.6ElectrolyticCapreplacement.jpg.c45b6df33868cad67a101b2502f64030.jpg

The only thing I notice is the much lower max ripple current - 2180mA for the Panasonic caps vs. Nichicon's 2900mA.  

The ESR ratings are not as far apart. The Panasonic capacitor's ESR rating is 20 milliOhms vs Nichicon's 18 milliOhms.

The 18 milliOhm rating of Nichicon's UHW series is already 7 milliOhms higher than the original HM series capacitors.  However, Nichicon discontinued  them several years ago.  And, I've not found a manufacturer that has released a replacement electrolytic capacitor series with as low an ESR rating as Nichicon's HM series originally used in the Xbox. :(

On 9/9/2020 at 1:25 AM, KaosEngineer said:

The only thing I notice is the much lower max ripple current - 2180mA for the Panasonic caps vs. Nichicon's 2900mA.  

The ESR ratings are not as far apart. The Panasonic capacitor's ESR rating is 20 milliOhms vs Nichicon's 18 milliOhms.

The 18 milliOhm rating of Nichicon's UHW series is already 7 milliOhms higher than the original HM series capacitors.  However, Nichicon discontinued  them several years ago.  And, I've not found a manufacturer that has released a replacement electrolytic capacitor series with as low an ESR rating as Nichicon's HM series originally used in the Xbox. :(

will using caps with the 20 milli ohm ripple current effect the xbox in any negative way? what do u think about rubycon caps, btw?

• KaosEngineer changed the title to [SOLVED] 1.6 XBox No Lights/Video but Fan Spins
2 hours ago, bulkchart32 said:

will using caps with the 20 milli ohm ripple current effect the xbox in any negative way? what do u think about rubycon caps, btw?

20 milliOhm ESR will cause additional internal heating of the capacitor shortening it's longevity.  The original Nichicon capacitors were rated at 11milliOhms instead of their UHW series rated at 18milliOhms ESR.  

How much shorter the longevity ???  I don't know.

Rubycon is another good manufacturer of capacitors.

• Like 1