OGXbox.com

Fix a Bricked XBox Hdd Using a Hardmodded Xbox?

Fredrito

I recently tried to softmod my old xbox and bricked the hdd due to not ejecting the game disc in the end of the installation process. Now the dashboard is gone and I can't even boot retail games using the machine.

I just bought an xbox with a modchip (xecuter 2) and I'm wondering if I could swap the hdd in the modded xbox with the bricked xbox and install the ms dashboard from a disc.

1 hour ago, Fredrito said:

I recently tried to softmod my old xbox and bricked the hdd due to not ejecting the game disc in the end of the installation process. Now the dashboard is gone and I can't even boot retail games using the machine.

I just bought an xbox with a modchip (xecuter 2) and I'm wondering if I could swap the hdd in the modded xbox with the bricked xbox and install the ms dashboard from a disc.

The short answer is no.

I could be sorted with a hot swap to a PC and some software on the computer but in my view it's quicker to fit a modchip and use a install dsk to setup the new hard drive..

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

1 hour ago, Fredrito said:

You will need the hdd key from the softmodded box to unlock the hdd, you can get this by using an eeprom reader. Once you have the hdd key you can fix the softmod using xboxhdm or just chip it.

2 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

The short answer is no.

I could be sorted with a hot swap to a PC and some software on the computer but in my view it's quicker to fit a modchip and use a install dsk to setup the new hard drive..

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Thanks for the reply, saw a video tutorial of this and I will definetely try it! Just have to get my hands on an old PC...

Use a raspberry pi to grab the eeprom using PiPROM. It's just 3 wires connected to the LPC on the board. I had a unit with a bad hard drive. Well it would boot to the dash but freeze when trying to load a game or anything. It was weird. Completely untouched system. PiPROM saved my 1.1v xbox. From there I was able to lock a hard drive with the xbox hdm usb 2.3 and install to the console. It took me a few times because I pulled a corrupt eeprom and wrote it to 3 different drives. 

Long story short, read eeprom and open it in live info to make sure it is not corrupt prior to locking a disk with a bunk eeprom. 

• Like 1