OGXbox.com

Chimp 261812 Cloning To Already Modded Hdd

HDShadow

I can't find the answer to this anywhere but somebody on another forum wants to use Chimp 261812 to clone a softmodded HDD to one previously used with a chipped Xbox. The important thing is to preserve the F:\ and G:\ drives on the second HDD as there is around 1TB of games installed and they want to avoid having to FTP or copying them all over again.

The second HDD seems to be a perfectly normal, unlocked, chipped install so the obvious thing to suggest initially was using Chimp 261812 to clone his existing softmodded HDD. But when the requirement to preserve F:\ and G:\ on the slave drive was mentioned I realised I did not know the answer. None of the Chimp 261812 documentation or forum posts I've found anywhere appear to cover such matters.

So is it possible just to clone C:\ and E:\ using Chimp 261812 without affecting the F:\ and G:\ drive content?

If not is there another way of doing what is wanted? Maybe even better for example I thought about suggesting repopulating C:\ and E:\ with a softmod installation using FATXplorer and then using Chimp 261812 to lock it. Would that work?

16 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

I can't find the answer to this anywhere but somebody on another forum wants to use Chimp 261812 to clone a softmodded HDD to one previously used with a chipped Xbox. The important thing is to preserve the F:\ and G:\ drives on the second HDD as there is around 1TB of games installed and they want to avoid having to FTP or copying them all over again.

The second HDD seems to be a perfectly normal, unlocked, chipped install so the obvious thing to suggest initially was using Chimp 261812 to clone his existing softmodded HDD. But when the requirement to preserve F:\ and G:\ on the slave drive was mentioned I realised I did not know the answer. None of the Chimp 261812 documentation or forum posts I've found anywhere appear to cover such matters.

So is it possible just to clone C:\ and E:\ using Chimp 261812 without affecting the F:\ and G:\ drive content?

If not is there another way of doing what is wanted? Maybe even better for example I thought about suggesting repopulating C:\ and E:\ with a softmod installation using FATXplorer and then using Chimp 261812 to lock it. Would that work?

You just need to lock the hdd with the same hdd key, use xboxhdm to do this on a pc.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HDShadow said:

There is a selective partition cloning option to select the partitions you want to clone but I've only used that option with a new empty HDD.

However, I don't believe Chimp will work to clone only C and E (possibly X, Y, and Z too).  I believe it first formats all partitions wiping anything off the current hard drive.  (Edit: Not really formats but writes some zero fill data to the start of each partitions' location - Sys, X, Y, Z, E, C, F, G.)

Code snippet from Chimp 261812's cloneab shell script:

prepare_hd () {
local t=$1
local h=$2
local s=$3
# just create the basic structre, 512k byte for Sys, X, Y, Z, C, E, F, G

dd if=$h of=$t bs=512k count=1 > /dev/null 2>&1
dd if=$s of=$t seek=1 bs=512k count=1 > /dev/null 2>&1
dd if=$s of=$t seek=1501 bs=512k count=1 > /dev/null 2>&1
dd if=$s of=$t seek=3001 bs=512k count=1 > /dev/null 2>&1
dd if=$s of=$t seek=4501 bs=512k count=1 > /dev/null 2>&1
dd if=$s of=$t seek=5501 bs=512k count=1 > /dev/null 2>&1
dd if=$s of=$t seek=15633072 bs=512 count=1k > /dev/null 2>&1
dd if=$s of=$t seek=268435456 bs=512 count=1k > /dev/null 2>&1
}

Edit: You know it may not even call the prepare_hd() function anymore.  There seems to be a lot of extra unused code present in Chimp's shell scripts.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ging3rguy said:

You just need to lock the hdd with the same hdd key, use xboxhdm to do this on a pc.

That's not going to work is it? The second HDD is set up for a hardmod. The only dashboard XBEs AFAIK are C:\xboxdash.xbe and, I think, C:\evoxdash.xbe. Without the chip's BIOS it will surely just boot from the xboxdash.xbe ie. the MS dash not the evoxdash.xbe.

Its a v1.6 so no TSOP possible and the guy has no desire to chipping it.

The locking is not the issue, its converting it to a softmod whilst preserving the F and G drives' content. If you're saying he can do that with XBHDM and you're sure its not going to affect F and G then that is a good alternative to consider.

1 hour ago, KaosEngineer said:

However, I don't believe Chimp will work to clone only C and E (possibly X, Y, and Z too).  I believe it first formats all partitions wiping anything off the current hard drive.  (Edit: Not really formats but writes some zero fill data to the start of each partitions' location - Sys, X, Y, Z, E, C, F, G.)

That's what I thought was probably the case ie. that it would effectively corrupt anything existing on the the new HDD.

Any thoughts about the idea to repopulate C and E with softmod files, perhaps even those from the existing softmodded HDD?   

My 20 cents worth,  To me a cloning is a 1 to 1 copy.

It would be safer to start from scratch and then copy the games over or back up the stuff you don't want to lose then use chimp to try to copy C and E drive. Because you have a backup of the stuff you wanted to keep you won't need it (That's Murphy's Law) 

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HDShadow said:

That's not going to work is it? The second HDD is set up for a hardmod. The only dashboard XBEs AFAIK are C:\xboxdash.xbe and, I think, C:\evoxdash.xbe. Without the chip's BIOS it will surely just boot from the xboxdash.xbe ie. the MS dash not the evoxdash.xbe.

Its a v1.6 so no TSOP possible and the guy has no desire to chipping it.

The locking is not the issue, its converting it to a softmod whilst preserving the F and G drives' content. If you're saying he can do that with XBHDM and you're sure its not going to affect F and G then that is a good alternative to consider.

That's what I thought was probably the case ie. that it would effectively corrupt anything existing on the the new HDD.

Any thoughts about the idea to repopulate C and E with softmod files, perhaps even those from the existing softmodded HDD?   

Okay, use fatxplorer to transfer/delete the c and e partition, then lock with xboxhdm.

............................or lock with Chimp 261812.

So that idea will work: using FatXplorer and simply repopulating C and E with the C and E content from the existing softmod.

Again just what I thought but needed to get confirmation just to be sure. 

13 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

My 20 cents worth,  To me a cloning is a 1 to 1 copy.

It would be safer to start from scratch and then copy the games over or back up the stuff you don't want to lose then use chimp to try to copy C and E drive. Because you have a backup of the stuff you wanted to keep you won't need it (That's Murphy's Law).

That was my first suggestion but the OP was not looking forward having to backup the hardmod HDD's ITB F and G content and then FTP it back. That's what he wants to avoid having to do.

Understandable when you have a properly formatted Xbox ready HDD but it just happens to be set up for a chip machine rather than a softmod.

6 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

............................or lock with Chimp 261812.

So that idea will work: using FatXplorer and simply repopulating C and E with the C and E content from the existing softmod.

Again just what I thought but needed to get confirmation just to be sure. 

That was my first suggestion but the OP was not looking forward having to backup the hardmod HDD's ITB F and G content and then FTP it back. That's what he wants to avoid having to do.

Understandable when you have a properly formatted Xbox ready HDD but it just happens to be set up for a chip machine rather than a softmod.

I would tell them to backup their games to an external pc hdd anyway. It doesn’t take that long using fatxplorer.

• Like 2

On 9/6/2020 at 7:53 AM, Ging3rguy said:

I would tell them to backup their games to an external pc hdd anyway. It doesn’t take that long using fatxplorer.

Is there a version of FatXplorer that sees the games drive? I imagine if he has them installed on E it would be ok, but all the fatxplorer versions I've seen don't see F & G. I think you're onto something copying C & E to the already setup drive though. Should be the easiest way. Copy C & E for a softmod to the drive and lock it, pop it into the 1.6, no?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dopy25 said:

Is there a version of FatXplorer that sees the games drive? I imagine if he has them installed on E it would be ok, but all the fatxplorer versions I've seen don't see F & G. I think you're onto something copying C & E to the already setup drive though. Should be the easiest way. Copy C & E for a softmod to the drive and lock it, pop it into the 1.6, no?

Yep there is

You still need to create the HDD in a Xbox and correctly partition the drives but when you have that done then connect to a PC a copy away.

The only thing is the drive needs to be unlocked

You will easy do a 2tb drive in under 24 hours.

https://fatxplorer.eaton-works.com/2020/03/28/fatxplorer-3-0-beta-now-available/

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 2