OGXbox.com

Faulty Cheapo Ide/Sata Converters

bolofski

when i order the ebay cheap converters from china i order 5 or 6 at a time knowing that 1 or 2 will fail, as i never throw anything away ive got about a dozen dead ones now, i was thinking maybe it could be the cheap caps and whether it was worth trying to change caps on them to see any can be resurrected, a couple of them did work for a short time before dying so worth a shot?

I have been using the chinese IDE 2 SATA adaptors for sometime and I have only had 1 fail( did not work straight up) in the last 2 years.

I change the 2 caps to a better quality capacitor as my testing showed the value was less the 50% of the marked value.

IMG_20200621_121118.thumb.jpg.ca74e242273208741420d41b0486420e.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I upgraded HD (Toshiba MQ01ABD100) and used JP103-20330-818-2 adapter (both spare), i've had handful of these and never a bad one.

FTP speed similar to original HD, and loading a game on HD was about 30% faster (from timings). but unsure how else to test performance, is there an app?

UnleashX reports Ultra DMA 4 (ATA-66MB/s) using the original cable with new adapter+sata HD.

I tried an 80 wire cable but it stayed at U-DMA 4, what is the highest DMA you've seen achieved using 80 wire?

adapter.jpg

Edited by corona2222

2 hours ago, corona2222 said:

I upgraded HD (Toshiba MQ01ABD100) and used JP103-20330-818-2 adapter (both spare), i've had handful of these and never a bad one.

FTP speed similar to original HD, and loading a game on HD was about 30% faster (from timings). but unsure how else to test performance, is there an app?

UnleashX reports Ultra DMA 4 (ATA-66MB/s) using the original cable with new adapter+sata HD.

I tried an 80 wire cable but it stayed at U-DMA 4, what is the highest DMA you've seen achieved using 80 wire?

adapter.jpg

I have tested one of those adaptors by plugging it directly in to the main board and the to the hard drive, It works fine as long as you have a No DVD check BIOS.

Also good for slims if you have a Sata with a right angle plug.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• 3 months later...

I was also wondering what ATA speeds people have achieved.  I know I need an 80 wire - do those by definition support at least 100/133 or do some of them max out at 66MB/s - and if so is that good enough (as in What is the fastest the XBOX can support and realistically utilize?)  Looking to buy several decent 80 wires at the best price point for reliability and value.

Thanks!