OGXbox.com

Here To Resurrect an Old Friend

Dr_Eekon

Hi all.

The OG Xbox holds a special place in my heart as it was the first console I purchased myself. Sadly, the HDD failed when I started high school. I sold all my games but I couldn’t throw the box away. I’m overjoyed to learn of the modding scene and that it’s possible to resurrect my girl from the dead.

I’ve got an OpenXenium chip headed my way. Any suggestions for new HDDs and IDE adaptors would be greatly appreciated (along with any other advice). I’ll get the clock capacitor removed ASAP.

Greetings!

I know the feeling, I just recently revived my pair of Xboxes from about ten years ago.

If you're intending to run modchipped all the time - and I see no real reason not to - the specific HDD shouldn't matter much, but a 2.5" can make it easier to mount adapters and route cables. You'll be wanting SATA whichever way you go with capacity and size. Due to technical limitations, you're limited to ~2.3TB usable drive space, so there's no point in >2TB drives, and there's little point in an SSD. Since I assume you'll want to reacquire some of your collection, you'll likely want a 500GB+ drive so you can rip plenty of games to HDD and avoid further wear-n-tear on the aging DVD drive, while still having some space for apps and media.

As for HDD adapters, those using the Marvell 88SA8052 chip, like the StarTech IDE2SAT2 and the Delock 61702, are fairly surefire options. Generics often work, but can be slower. If you go the generic route, I strongly suggest one that has a master/slave jumper (there are lots of links for them on the ogxbox reddit and some here). Regardless, get yourself an 80-wire cable to replace the 40-wire OEM cable; you may have adapter functionality and/or speed problems otherwise.

I'd suggest you check out all your other caps while you're removing the clock cap, just in case any have bulged, vented, or leaked, and make sure to clean up any possible leakage from the clock cap.

There's a nifty brand-new internal mod that does HDMI (with digital sound) straight from the internal GPU, from https://makemhz.com/products/xboxhdmi - in case you're interested in further useful mods, though that one will be challenging to solder. You may also want to check out the ogx360, for using newer generation controllers with the original Xbox.

Ooh. Didn't know that, thanks for the correction. Looks like it's basically a direct equivalent in all practical ways, now. Nifty.

Edit: Also, as the vast majority of what goes on most xboxes will be write-once data, SMR drives are probably still more-or-less usable, just definitely subpar and to be avoided if at all practical.

Edited by Eridyne