OGXbox.com

Annoying High Pitched Whining Sound

bulkchart32

3 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

It could be the HDD, DVD drive, Fan, Power supply.

Is the sound constant from power on, does it change pitch then loading a game/app?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

it does it while it has a game disc in it, i'm not certain if it would do it without the disc. i need to try that. it is my completely stock og xbox. it's not a constant sound. it is a pretty steady pitch when it does make the sound. it has the samung dvd and wd hdd in it, if that helps any.

11 hours ago, bulkchart32 said:

how can i find out for certain before it quits?

I would run the Xbox open and then you can put you ear against the HDD and the DVD drive when it starts making noise.

If I suspected a fan then when it starts making the whine the unplug it and see if the noise stops.

And power supply while I would try a different supply and see if it stops.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

Use a straw to keep your ear far away from the power supply unit (PSU) unit. It has high-voltages on easily touched metal surfaces that will give you quite a jolt when you least expect it.  Put one end up to your ear and move the other  end over the Xbox internals. The straw helps to narrow down the exact component that is emitting the sound.

On 8/30/2020 at 4:26 PM, SS_Dave said:

I would run the Xbox open and then you can put you ear against the HDD and the DVD drive when it starts making noise.

If I suspected a fan then when it starts making the whine the unplug it and see if the noise stops.

And power supply while I would try a different supply and see if it stops.

Cheers

SS Dave

ok. i tried that. here's the tricky part, the closer i am to the xbox, the less i hear the the high pitched whining. the other normal noises that a xbox makes overpower the sound. so what do i do since i can't get close to it to see where the sound is coming from?

I would still think the hard drive but to test a different HDD you will need to mod it.

Without modding you can test a different DVD drive and also try a different fan the power supply would be the last thing I would try.

Is the noise louder when the Xbox has been running for a while or more when cold?

Cheers

SS Dave

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

I would still think the hard drive but to test a different HDD you will need to mod it.

Without modding you can test a different DVD drive and also try a different fan the power supply would be the last thing I would try.

Is the noise louder when the Xbox has been running for a while or more when cold?

Cheers

SS Dave

i spent most of the night working on it and trouble shooting. it did seem to be more prone to do it after i'd played a game for a while. it appears to have been the cooling fan. 

10 hours ago, bulkchart32 said:

it appears to have been the cooling fan

You could try a spray of PCB cleaner. I would replace it as the used Xbox fans should be readily available from EvilBay.

I would not suggest a silent type fan as they don't move enough air to cool a Xbox unless you run it full speed and then it's louder than a stock fan, I my view the sock fan works the best.

Cheers

SS Dave

16 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Cheers

SS Dave

update: i'm not certain the fan change fixed it. it's being super intermittent so that is part of what is making if difficult to troubleshoot. i think it is the hdd. the weird thing is that i can't hear it when i am really close to the xbox. the xbox did take a hard fall a few days ago. it was stacked about 7 xboxs high and was knocked off by my mother and hit a hard tile floor( amazingly, the shell suffered no damage). i'm not certain if that is when it started or if it has been doing it for a while and i am just now noticing it. the xbox seems to work perfectly all except that annoying high pitched whine. is the problem possibly something to do with the way the hdd is mounted? is there a way to perfectly clone this drive to another drive with all the dates cloned perfectly(i.e. on a halo 2 save file with a profile from 2007, it will keep the "2007" date on it instead of updating it) so that i wouldn't even be able to tell that it has a different drive if i were to change it?

If the game save is the important thing then if you clone the entire locked hard drive some how you should be fine

I would try saving the game save to a memory card and then copying to a different Xbox and see if it works, if the save work in a different Xbox then hardmod it and fit a new hard drive.

Cheers

SS Dave

2 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

If the game save is the important thing then if you clone the entire locked hard drive some how you should be fine

I would try saving the game save to a memory card and then copying to a different Xbox and see if it works, if the save work in a different Xbox then hardmod it and fit a new hard drive.

Cheers

SS Dave

i'm wanting to clone it to another hdd that i pulled from a dead xbox. so that means that hdd that i'm wanting to write to is locked. is there any way to force delete that drive without the lock key?

9 minutes ago, bulkchart32 said:

is there any way to force delete that drive without the lock key?

Nope.

You could start trying to crack it, I think is a 32bit and a 16bit is 65536 possible combinations

I did also work out the Key is on the disk platters and not on the PCB by swapping a unlocked hard drive PCB to a locked hard drive and it was still locked with the PCB from the locked drive working on the unlocked drive.

Cheers

SS Dave

5 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Nope.

You could start trying to crack it, I think is a 32bit and a 16bit is 65536 possible combinations

I did also work out the Key is on the disk platters and not on the PCB by swapping a unlocked hard drive PCB to a locked hard drive and it was still locked with the PCB from the locked drive working on the unlocked drive.

Cheers

SS Dave

can i clone to a new ide drive that is bigger? it's hard to find ones that are 8-10gb and still new. will the xbox work with like a 300gb hdd(even though it won't make use of the extra space)?

29 minutes ago, bulkchart32 said:

can i clone to a new ide drive that is bigger? it's hard to find ones that are 8-10gb and still new. will the xbox work with like a 300gb hdd(even though it won't make use of the extra space)?

If you do a 1 to 1 clone the new 300gb drive will become a 8gb drive.

But you are still going to have a problem with the drive been locked unless you hot swap from the old Xbox.  The hard drive is unlocked on power on and stays in the unlocked state until power down.

If it's the game save you really concerned about I would try copy to a memory card option 1st.

Cheers

SS Dave

I have not tried the my self but you have nothing to lose.

Ok this one is not 100% correct. But it's close enough..
You do connect the drive as a master drive.
I used Xboxhdm to boot then selected option 4 boot dos unlocking tools.
When you get the prompt type ATAPWD
Now go to security tools.
Then select Erase prepare it will say ok.
Now go to erase hard disk it will ask for the password.
its. WDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWD "ALL CAPS!!"
it will say this will erase your didk. are you sure?
say yes And you will get an "ERROR Busy" Do not press enter. Just walk away and leave it. It takes no more than 6 mins with an ata 133 interface "not 30 mins"
when you come back after the 6 mins is up Press f5 then enter then f5 again. It will now be unlocked.
Now go back to security tools and select disabled with master password.
again the password is. WDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWD "ALL CAPS!!"

Here is a different method you could also try.

If you don't care about the contents, you could just zero the drive with a Linux live boot, using your PC.  

You don't even need to wait for dd to finish.  Just let it run for a bit.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/(your hard drive)

Cheers

SS Dave