OGXbox.com

Original XBox Fan Issues

Xtwizted

Hello, I have an original Xbox v1.6 with a xenium modchip in it. It's been sitting for years and I finally got it kinda working. When I installed the modchip, I unplugged the fan from the motherboard and ran power wires from the molex connector to get some more power out of it. It works fine, just loud and pretty sure it's not needed. I took it off the molex setup and plugged it back into the stock location on the motherboard but the fan never spins. I also noticed in my xecutor dashboard, the temps never change. Any ideas what could be causing the issue? Thanks in advance!

4 hours ago, Xtwizted said:

Hello, I have an original Xbox v1.6 with a xenium modchip in it. It's been sitting for years and I finally got it kinda working. When I installed the modchip, I unplugged the fan from the motherboard and ran power wires from the molex connector to get some more power out of it. It works fine, just loud and pretty sure it's not needed. I took it off the molex setup and plugged it back into the stock location on the motherboard but the fan never spins. I also noticed in my xecutor dashboard, the temps never change. Any ideas what could be causing the issue? Thanks in advance!

Definitely not needed the highest I have run the fan in one of me Xbox's is 50%

Are you sure the fan is connected to the correct 2 pins on the fan connector the center is + 12 volt (red) the pin closest to the front is the negative via the speed control and the in toward the back is not connected

What temps it displayed in the dash?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I'm in the process of redoing the mods a 22 year old version of myself did. I'm 40 now lol. I checked to make sure it was plugged in right, checked out. Checked to make sure the pins on the board and the fan connector were making a good connection. I am at work now but i'll check what the temp reading is. I think it's displaying maybe 39c? Again i'll have to double check but I know it was getting hotter then that. I let it run for 5 minutes thinking the fan wouldn't turn on until reaching X temperature but it never did. I'll also check to see if I have voltage coming out of the pins on the motherboard. Does the fan spin no matter what as soon as the xbox is turned on or does it stay off until it reaches a certain temp? And thanks I appreciate the help with this, I just want to get this thing up and running right it was a gift from my father who is no longer with me.

34 minutes ago, Xtwizted said:

I'm in the process of redoing the mods a 22 year old version of myself did. I'm 40 now lol. I checked to make sure it was plugged in right, checked out. Checked to make sure the pins on the board and the fan connector were making a good connection. I am at work now but i'll check what the temp reading is. I think it's displaying maybe 39c? Again i'll have to double check but I know it was getting hotter then that. I let it run for 5 minutes thinking the fan wouldn't turn on until reaching X temperature but it never did. I'll also check to see if I have voltage coming out of the pins on the motherboard. Does the fan spin no matter what as soon as the xbox is turned on or does it stay off until it reaches a certain temp? And thanks I appreciate the help with this, I just want to get this thing up and running right it was a gift from my father who is no longer with me.

Depending on your bios the fan should be running at 20%. Check the voltage output at the fan connections, if you don’t a multi-meter try upping the fan speed in your dash. 

6 hours ago, Xtwizted said:

I think it's displaying maybe 39c?

That's fine if it get around the 50c then start to look at increasing the fan speed in the BIOS.

6 hours ago, Xtwizted said:

Does the fan spin no matter what as soon as the xbox is turned on or does it stay off until it reaches a certain temp

The fan should be going all the time.

If you have XBMC as a dash there is a setting for the fan that makes it temperature controlled while it's on the main screen that may be set to a high target temp and causing the fan to try and run at 2%

It's sounding like the black wire from the fan is on the wrong pin.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.