OGXbox.com

Cpu Question

collinlg9

So with what I have heard, is it true that the only difference between the Xbox's CPU and an off-the-shelf Pentium III the fact that the cache is cut down to 128kb? If so, is it actually at all possible in any way to connect up a Xbox cpu to a pc of that era and see it work? Yes, I am aware of the fact that you would have to desolder the CPU.

The processor skew family that contains SL3VM with 256kb, I believe is the closest. Yes you need to unsolder it and modify PGA Slot 1 adapter and solder the removed chip to it.  I have questions why you would want to do this as so much could go wrong when viable chips exist in Slot 1 and socket 370. 

For what it's worth, I have a Friendtech Bravo board that had the original Xbox CPU removed and replaced with a socket, which contains an Intel Pentium III SL4CG. The SL4CG has the full 256kb cache. It does appear to give a *slight* boost to framerate and load times. Because it is the original 733mhz clock, it retains full compatibility with all software (unlike 1ghz and 1.4ghz CPU mods as some games depend on the clock rate for timings). This makes sense as the original Alpha hardware used the SL4CG as well. I can only assume the cache was reduced by half to increase yields. I wouldn't be surprised if the original Xbox CPUs were in fact manufactured from a wafer with the full cache size, but half disabled. That way if half is faulty, the CPU is not wasted, hence yield is increased.
Just thought I'd share my experience here.