OGXbox.com

Black Screen After Load Up Animations

HunterJ92

Hi, recently got my xbox out of the loft, must have been there at least 10-12 years. It has an aladdin modchip inside and when booted up holding the power button shows executer2 under the xbox logo. I've been getting the error 16 code when booted up normal and if I put my original hard drive in i get error 5. Ive removed the clock capacitor and cleaned up around the area it was. I've tried to use both hexen and slayer dvd-r both burned using imgburn at 2x speed but after the flubber animation and xbox logo the screen goes blank. I've left the xbox running whilst on blank screen for around 2 hours to see if there is any change but there isn't. Xbox had Agent under fire in with it also so I'm assuming it has something to do with the modchip?

I'm also new to all this modchip etc

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

20 minutes ago, HunterJ92 said:

Hi, recently got my xbox out of the loft, must have been there at least 10-12 years. It has an aladdin modchip inside and when booted up holding the power button shows executer2 under the xbox logo. I've been getting the error 16 code when booted up normal and if I put my original hard drive in i get error 5. Ive removed the clock capacitor and cleaned up around the area it was. I've tried to use both hexen and slayer dvd-r both burned using imgburn at 2x speed but after the flubber animation and xbox logo the screen goes blank. I've left the xbox running whilst on blank screen for around 2 hours to see if there is any change but there isn't. Xbox had Agent under fire in with it also so I'm assuming it has something to do with the modchip?

I'm also new to all this modchip etc

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Well your chip is fine, it sounds like your hdd and possibly your dvd drive. Have you tried running a retail disk?

Service Error 05:
Info: Your Xbox Hard drive is not locked. A retail BIOS needs a locked Hard drive. You will receive this error only when turning off your modchip and booting to the retail M$ Dashboard.

Error 16 means your xbox cannot find the menu setting with which you can set the clock of the hdd. 

It sound more like the harddrive is or has failed.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

45 minutes ago, Ging3rguy said:

Well your chip is fine, it sounds like your hdd and possibly your dvd drive. Have you tried running a retail disk?

Yep, tried the agent under fire, on the stock hard drive I can somehow get to the stock xbox dashboard but then fails to read any disc. Was a bit unsure as to why the blank screen

47 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Service Error 05:
Info: Your Xbox Hard drive is not locked. A retail BIOS needs a locked Hard drive. You will receive this error only when turning off your modchip and booting to the retail M$ Dashboard.

Error 16 means your xbox cannot find the menu setting with which you can set the clock of the hdd. 

It sound more like the harddrive is or has failed.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Is it possible to somehow save this?

I would start be trying to boot with the chip active and no dvd and hard drive connected and see what errors occur.

No DVD should be error 11

No HDD should be error 8

I would also try a different HDD with a DVD disk even a game disk will load from a cold boot as long as there is a HDD present even a non Xbox formatted HDD.

Cheers

SS Dave

Just got round to trying these,

dvd unplugged - error 7

hdd unplugged - error 7

both unplugged - error 7

Tried with an unused dvd and cant recognise the disc, im assuming i have a faulty dvd drive?

**EDIT** if i quick press the power button rather than hold it in, i get error 11 with no dvd, but still error 7 with no hdd.

Edited by HunterJ92

By chance do you know which version of the Xecuter BIOS you are running? The X2 4981 should be able to run without any disc drive attached and will boot to whatever its set to in the hard drive. Sometimes I know if you install a softmod on top of a hardmod it can result in a blank screen after flubber animation and the front lights going orange. It shouldnt show an error code since the HDD is attached but it wont show anything.

1 minute ago, MrBriteSide said:

By chance do you know which version of the Xecuter BIOS you are running? The X2 4981 should be able to run without any disc drive attached and will boot to whatever its set to in the hard drive. Sometimes I know if you install a softmod on top of a hardmod it can result in a blank screen after flubber animation and the front lights going orange. It shouldnt show an error code since the HDD is attached but it wont show anything.

I'm unsure, I would have only been around the age of 11 when it was working. Once the 360 came out I think it got boxed up so I cant imagine a softmod being installed either.

Service Error 07:
Info: Hard disk timeout.
Solution: Check the IDE Connection/Cable and check the Power Supply.

I would try a different hard drive and a different IDE lead.

Also check the 4 pin power plug is tight and the red wire is not lose in the 4 pin plug

Cheers

SS Dave

31 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Service Error 07:

Also check the 4 pin power plug is tight and the red wire is not lose in the 4 pin plug

Cheers

SS Dave

Will source a new ide lead tomorrow and get back to you.

Thanks

12 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Service Error 07:

Cheers

SS Dave

just plugged in a new IDE and showing up as error 16 now, cables into hdd are tight and not loose

Error 16 is kind of ok it's better than error 7, It also means that the old drive is dead

You should now be able to boot from a install DVD and setu the new hard drive

Cheers

SS Dave

w

9 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Error 16 is kind of ok it's better than error 7, It also means that the old drive is dead

You should now be able to boot from a install DVD and setu the new hard drive

Cheers

SS Dave

Will any Hdd work or does it need to be a certain kind. I'm all new to this kind of thing so not that clued up sorry 🤦‍♂️

1 minute ago, HunterJ92 said:

Will any Hdd work or does it need to be a certain kind.

You can use almost any kind 

if you can get you hands on a 500gb IDE they are cheap  or if you want new a 2tb Sata hard drive.

I like the WD Black 2tb but I have also used the Seagate barracuda 2tb and I have some Seagate 3tb HDDs as well

If you are going to use the wd green (power saving ) hard drives then it's advisable to disable the power save with WDidle3 program then the drive becomes a WD blue.

Sata to IDE adaptor wise  The Startech is one of the best but also the Green chinese ones with the 2 cap's next to each other work ok .You should also get a 80 way IDE cable as the 40 way is not reliable when used with Sata drives.

Cheers

SS Dave

6 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

if you can get you hands on a 500gb IDE they are cheap  or if you want new a 2tb Sata hard drive.

I like the WD Black 2tb but I have also used the Seagate barracuda 2tb and I have some Seagate 3tb HDDs as well

If you are going to use the wd green (power saving ) hard drives then it's advisable to disable the power save with WDidle3 program then the drive becomes a WD blue.

Sata to IDE adaptor wise  The Startech is one of the best but also the Green chinese ones with the 2 cap's next to each other work ok .You should also get a 80 way IDE cable as the 40 way is not reliable when used with Sata drives.

Cheers

SS Dave

thanks, going to go for a cheap one to begin with for now incase its not the full solution

21 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Cheers

SS Dave

Would something like this be compatible if I was to get an adaptor? Thanks

Screenshot_20200826-094500_eBay.jpg

They are a low quality caps.

I tested them on the last one and one cap was 25% lower and the other was 50% under the rated value that cap was on the 5 volt rail and the 25% was the 12 volt.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

On 8/26/2020 at 3:47 AM, HunterJ92 said:

Would something like this be compatible if I was to get an adaptor? Thanks

Screenshot_20200826-094500_eBay.jpg

This drive may not work.  Looks like it's a special edition intended to be used to record video for a CCTV system.  The ATA locking feature found in  all retail SATA drives may have been removed.  I'm not saying it has been removed but specialty drives (if it actually does use custom firmware) may not work.