OGXbox.com

3x Power Cycle, Orange Light, No Boot

Iceman

Having issues booting after an OpenXenium install on a 1.6 (using pcb). When power button is pressed, front light turns immediately from green to orange flashing, fails to power, then reboots and tries to power again with orange flashing light, then does it a third time. After the unsuccessful third try, it just completely cuts power and that's it. No flashing message, nothing at this point. Never able to get video either. Does the same thing regardless of whether drives are plugged in or not. While its trying to power on, I can see a solid red light on the chip, so I know its getting power.

First time doing an Xbox mod, so hopefully this is just an issue of me being a noob. Board, power, and cables were all working before the mod. Solder points for the chip have been reflowed a couple times. I have also checked for possible solder splash, but there does not appear to be any that I can see. Traces also appear fine to me- no obvious burns or tears. Caps also appear good.

Anything I miss? Maybe I need to re-check something more thoroughly? Mostly wondering what the 3x power cycle, orange light, no boot means.

Flashing Orange : Damaged trace or solder splashed on components.

Mr. Mario has made a xenium install on  a 1.6 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICRS3yHICKQ ). My be you doulbe check that.

When you can't find any problem, i would start by removing the chip and check what happens then. If you still get an error maybe something went wrong with the LPC rebuild.

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny

814654469_Xboxerrorleds.jpg.4a41baa066368586bceb1b8b1c579850.jpg

Look for solder slashes around the Clock cap and the MCPX chip.

My bad it's a 1.6 not a 1.0-1.4 you need to look for solder splashes all over the board especially around where you worked.

Did you use a rebuild PCB or wires ? and was the Xbox working before the modchip?

It might be a good idea to post a pick or the solder work and that way we can see if something look wrong .

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Alright, have been working at this some more, but still no luck. Not seeing any damaged traces or solder splashes, but maybe thats my inexperience. I've attached pics of what the solder work looks like. Let me know if I'm overlooking something here. If not, I'll probably just desolder everything and try to give it a complete re-do.

IMG_2898 (1).jpg

IMG_2899 (1).jpg

A couple of this don't look right

there should be a link across the yellow circles when it's fitted in a version 1.6 as that the D0 connection to the LPC rebuild board 

316067491_IMG_2898(1).thumb.jpg.60386cb47afef3843530efb4208eb60f.jpg.92380c740eb6f1792cccbe60ba381525.jpg

And the solder work in the red circles looks not so good almost like it's shorting

439328513_IMG_2899(1).thumb.jpg.8175a3f7bd7c7f4eb95c9b31c780ab98.jpg.0deaca0b250a5fcece283ec312ad2721.jpg

Remove the J1 link and in plug the mod chip and the Xbox should boot to the normal animation.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Here is a video of the xenium install on an 1.6 / 1.6b : OpenXenium install on a 1.6 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICRS3yHICKQ (Jump to 28:10)

There is a jumperwire C2 + D6 marked with 1.6. They should be linked. 

EDIT : And again Dave was that split secound faster. :D

1.jpg

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny

Ok got it going finally. Connected D0 on the chip instead of J1, but that didn't help any. So after a few more reflows on the pcb at several points, including the ones pointed out, it finally started working. 

Regarding the jumper, I've seen different people doing either D0 or J1 and either would work on a 1.6. Is there a specific reason not to use J1 like that?

Edited by Iceman

33 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Regarding the jumper, I've seen different people doing either D0 or J1 and either would work on a 1.6. Is there a specific reason not to use J1 like that?

The J1 link is grounding the DO and on a version 1.0 - 1.4 it's no problem but on a 1.6 the same connection draws about 10 times the current and the worry is  it may damage the Xcalibur or the MCPX chip and that would make the mainboard unrepairable.

The main thing is you have it working now and you can now continue with the rest of the upgrades.

Cheers

SS Dave