OGXbox.com

Assembly Failure

sh0rtlife

ok i need a lil advice, thanks to dave ive got my ole rig up and running, everything works like a champ save for bank1..which doesnt seem to really matter

anyway everytime  i put the top case on..error 13....so im figureing its the cable, the adator or the power, but, how does one trouble shoot it. ive now cut down the y splitter that came with the adapt board now its nice and neat lil 1inch 4pin molex to mini 4pin, ive went thru and "tweaked" the stock box connector pins for a little tighter connection, so im fairly certain its not a power cabling issue..in fact my adapt cable is soldered , the ribbon cable is as new as the adapter..a month maybe less

no top boots fine every time, if i start fiddling with it it may or may not boot, im leaning tward it being a cable issue

Yep it does sound like a power issue

I have had the molex plug give poor connection to the HDD

1st on the white arrows close the contacts up a little bit.

And I have had some with poor connections where the yellow arrows are 

IMG_20200820_150031.thumb.jpg.7873e9edeacc8f3b02ec811529346312.jpg

If it poor connections at the yellow the easy way is to graft a plug from a old PC power supply.

I fix mine by removing the wire and strip the insulation off and solder it in and I also changed the direction of the cables so the cables exit down when it's plugped into Sata2IDE adaptor.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

good call on those crappy pinch connections, i didnt even spot those,

seems like it was those AND the ribbon, i just tore apart one of the "case mod" cables from back in the day trhe ones with rubber tubing and boots on the ends...its a lil long but due to it being "multi ribbon" it fits SOOO much better than a plain ribbon

I personally think this is the go and in this pic I have changed the exit points for the wires in the molex plug

It also has a chinese Sata to IDE with a 3D printed insulator(the white bit between the HDD and the IDE socket) and just next to the power plug is a 3D printed spacer to stop the adaptor from ever falling off.

IMG_20200809_124253.jpg.88251988e1ebdd82a01097475549a625.jpg

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

i acutaly modified a bit of abs plastic as a spacer at the drive, but that section under the warning label i opened up to get more airflow over the drive, it dropped it almost 5c without raising the fan speed or having the cpu/gpu temps go up

thatss a real nice ribbon cable, the one i had in there was a a fine length but with all the connectors flopped  ment extra bends n folds, what i need to do is dig out my PC junk boxes and find some good long ribbons and re-arange the connectors for optimal routing, altho the one im using now with the "split" for tubing setup ment i was able to stuff the entire cable under the center cable keeper