OGXbox.com

Hdd Upgrade Question

artemisery

I am looking to upgrade my original xbox hard drive. Console is a V1.6 that is softmodded. My new hard drive came in the mail today. I attempted to hotswap and set it up using chimp, however, the hard drive I received was not the hard drive I ordered and it does not lock, so I am returning it. On to the question, I am familiar with the method of hotswapping and using chimp to clone my drive. I am also aware you can set up a drive on pc if you can connect the drive either directly through ide connection or by using ide to usb. Are there any other methods for prepping a hard drive for a soft modded xbox that do not require either a pc connection or a hotswap while the console is turned on?

1 hour ago, artemisery said:

Are there any other methods for prepping a hard drive for a soft modded xbox that do not require either a pc connection or a hotswap while the console is turned on?

Yes 

Fit a mod chip and use a install disk. 

And with a modchip the hard drive does not need to be locked.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Yes 

Fit a mod chip and use a install disk. 

And with a modchip the hard drive does not need to be locked.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Thanks Dave, I have considered the option, the only thing that is stopping me is that I have not been able to find a good resource for modchip installation on a v1.6. if you feel the desire to go above and beyond, would you mind pointing me in the direction of a resource for the location of the solder points for a chip on a V1.6?

This is how I wire a mod chip on a 1.6 bioard, 5 links on the bottom and I cut the Lframe trace

Wire links like this

IMG_20200709_120903.thumb.jpg.63f49be0ec1d4a0c7bc2dd86e71c3248.jpg

Cut the Lframe trace here and don't worry about where is has LFRAME to modchip in the yellow box it's not needed

833287352_1.6XboxLframe.jpg.c84ad20e1427d2a4961f4e5c1b5e73d9.jpg

With the aladdin modchip the LED is powered from the 5 volt supply and in a 1.6 it will be on 24/7

To get around that you can remove pin 6(5 volt) from the LPC port and not have a led at all or mod the Aladdin chip to run the led from the 3.3 volt supply

If you cut the trace under the yellow line and add a link(green line)from the resistor to pin 9(3.3volt)

Also add a link from the BT to pin 2 (ground ) like in the pic below as this forces the chip to be always active.

IMG_20200404_103218.jpg.e98d9f1a9035534dc245b75ad3bdff2f.thumb.jpg.77714f911f2b39fac85ab8ff173e371a.jpg

Modding the Aladdin chip like this will not affect its operation and can still be used in a 1.0 - 1.4 Xbox if you want.

If your soldering skills are not up to scratch the find a any old circuit board to practice on 1st

If at any stage you are not sure post a pic of where you are up to and we can advise you from there.

Cheers

SS Dave