OGXbox.com

Hard Drive Activity On the Eject Button Led.

sweetdarkdestiny

Hard drive activity on the eject button led.

To do that mod you don’t need an LED since we make use of the LED on the eject botton which give us a nice and clean look.

Each time the hard drive read or write data, the orange (or “amber” if you prefer) led lights up and that will make you happy (Note: This just works for a man, not woman!).

So what do we need:

• Wire. 30 AWG works for me.

• 10K resistor.

• Small piece heat shrink.

• Solder, Iron, Flux, IPA.

• Super duper glue or your hot glue gun.

• Optional : A beer a cup of coffee or tee. At this time you can choose the last time by your self until the tutorial is done! :D

Ok, lets start by tear down your x-box like you normaly do and put the mainboard with the bottom side up in front you. The back ports should be facing upwards.

When you have an v1.0 to v1.4 you should search for the resistor R3V2 (The v1.5 unicorne should have it one the same place, I guess).

For v1.6 or v1.6b search for the resistor R3V3.

(Yap, they are both on the same spot and do the same but M$ choose to lable those differently.)

So when you have found the resistor, solder one end of the wire to the left side of the resistor.

Now that this is done aim for the IDE connector.

Measure how much wire you need to get to the IDE pin shown in the Picture (Don`t forget the length of your resistor.). It’s the first pin on the left side on top of the connector. Now solder your 10K resitor to the other end of the wire and put some heat shrink on it. Last but not least solder the end of the resitor to the IDE pin.

Now it’ s time to put back together your x-box and test your new mod, of which, you can be unbelievably proud of– in case you didn't screw it up somewhere… like me on the 1.6 because I wasn’t aware that MS choose to lable the resistors wrong (remember?). But thats there fault and not mine so let us blame them for that! ;)

Still reading? Why? You have reached the end of, what ever you wanna call it, and can now make your own decisions again! (Except you have a wife/girlfriend, then you’re totally screwed cuz it’s on her to make decisions for you!).

For real. I hope you had fun with this and you enjoy your new little mod.

I’m out. ;)

PS. You found typos or i miss spelled something? See, you got that on top without a tip! :D

XBOX HDD LED MOD (1).jpg

XBOX HDD LED MOD (3).jpg

XBOX HDD LED MOD (4).jpg

Indeed it is a nice little mod, becaus you don't need to drill any extra holes for a led.

And since i didn't saw this "tutorial" here on ogxbox, i have re-wrote it in english (because the original was in german) and shot some new pictures from the mod i have done on my 1.6 (forgot to make some of the 1.4 but, they are alomost the same) and pointet out the (more or less) "issue" with the R3V3 / R3V2 resistor someone could run into when not paying to much attention like me (I have made the mod on 2 x 1.4 and 2 x 1.6).

And since I now me (When i find such like things, I create a PDF to have those things on hand when needed, without the hassle to remember where i found that), I included a PDF for all who are a little like me. ;)

How ever, long story short, I'm glad you like it. :)