OGXbox.com

Cannot Unlock Slave Hdd Using Chimp

AlphaVictor

Hello,

I came across this site while searching for solutions to my problem. I was attempting to upgrade my XBOX HDD to a 1 TB WD SATA drive that is listed as lockable. I followed Mr. Mario's tutorial on Youtube to a T, and it appeared to be successful, however upon powering up with the new HDD in place of the old I get error 07 and on occasion 09. When going back and attempting to use Chimp to re-clone the original HDD to the new drive, the new drive cannot be altered due to it being locked. Attempts to unlock the HDD via the Unlock Slave Drive menu in Chimp do not work, all of which lead to the same screen referencing the password from the motherboard, but changing nothing. How do I unlock this drive?

And yes, I have the jumpers currently set to slave, and had them set to master when I attempted to utilize it as the master HDD.

Any help is appreciated.

Service Error 07:
Info: Hard Disk timeout.
Solution: Check the IDE Connection/Cable and check the Power Supply.

Service Error 09:
Info: Hard Disk parameters (PIO/DMA/or size). Certain minimum size is required for a debug BIOS. According to llamma.com, error code 09 means "Xbox motherboard is having trouble communicating with the Hard Drive...this is probably due to an ATA controller on the motherboard and not due to the hard drive itself.

Are you using a 80 way IDE cable and what type of SATA to IDE adaptor.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

9 hours ago, AlphaVictor said:

Hello,

I came across this site while searching for solutions to my problem. I was attempting to upgrade my XBOX HDD to a 1 TB WD SATA drive that is listed as lockable. I followed Mr. Mario's tutorial on Youtube to a T, and it appeared to be successful, however upon powering up with the new HDD in place of the old I get error 07 and on occasion 09. When going back and attempting to use Chimp to re-clone the original HDD to the new drive, the new drive cannot be altered due to it being locked. Attempts to unlock the HDD via the Unlock Slave Drive menu in Chimp do not work, all of which lead to the same screen referencing the password from the motherboard, but changing nothing. How do I unlock this drive?

And yes, I have the jumpers currently set to slave, and had them set to master when I attempted to utilize it as the master HDD.

Any help is appreciated.

Is your Xbox a soft or hard mod? Have you remember to set the new hdd to master after cloning?

He confirmed that he had done that earlier.

There's something more going on here; if Chimp locked the HDD on that Xbox as slave (or master) it should be capable of being unlocked too.

The fact the 1TB HDD did not work as master and now can't be unlocked suggests either a connection or hardware problem. I'd check the 80 wire IDE cable is connected properly at all three points (HDD, DVD Drive, MB) as other have suggested. If that does not help then the best bet is trouble caused by the SATA/IDE adapter.

Unfortunately the only way to test that is try a new one and whilst you're at it a different 80 wire IDE cable too. If neither replacement helps then, even worse, the new HDD becomes the chief suspect. You could actually test that first if you have a spare HDD available and at least save the cost of buying a new SATA/IDE adapter.

I bought a pair of 80 wire IDE cables a few months ago and one of them works perfectly but when used the other had intermittent problems often reporting  errors 7 and 9 at boot. Connections all good and no obvious damage so initially I thought a HDD or SATA/IDE adapter fault too but it was the IDE cable causing the trouble.

I've had to dump it because of that.

Edited by HDShadow

55 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

There's something more going on here; if Chimp locked the HDD on that Xbox as slave (or master) it should be capable of being unlocked too.

The fact the 1TB HDD did not work as master and now can't be unlocked suggests either a connection or hardware problem. I'd check the 80 wire IDE cable is connected properly at all three points (HDD, DVD Drive, MB) as other have suggested. If that does not help then the best bet is trouble caused by the SATA/IDE adapter.

Unfortunately the only way to test that is try a new one and whilst you're at it a different 80 wire IDE cable too. If neither replacement helps then, even worse, the new HDD becomes the chief suspect. You could actually test that first if you have a spare HDD available and at least save the cost of buying a new SATA/IDE adapter.

I bought a pair of 80 wire IDE cables a few months ago and one of them works perfectly but when used the other had intermittent problems often reporting  errors 7 and 9 at boot. Connections all good and no obvious damage so initially I thought a HDD or SATA/IDE adapter fault too but it was the IDE cable causing the trouble.

Use Xboxhdm to check the new drive using eeprom/hdd key and check the c and e partition have been setup correctly or just unlock and try again.

On 8/17/2020 at 7:11 AM, HDShadow said:

I have tried a separate 80 wire IDE cable and 2 separate SATA/IDE adaptors, to no avail. When I attempt to unlock the drive via Chimp I get the same result no matter which option I choose, "hdtool: illegal option --d".

Is there a way to unlock this drive via PC to try again? I can't seem to get my pc to recognize the drive.

1 minute ago, AlphaVictor said:

I have tried a separate 80 wire IDE cable and 2 separate SATA/IDE adaptors, to no avail. When I attempt to unlock the drive via Chimp I get the same result no matter which option I choose, "hdtool: illegal option --d".

Is there a way to unlock this drive via PC to try again? I can't seem to get my pc to recognize the drive.

Yes using Xboxhdm providing you have your hdd key, which you should have as you are doing an upgrade.

1 hour ago, AlphaVictor said:

I can't seem to get my pc to recognize the drive.

Winwoes cannot display the contents of a FatX format hard drive or Xbox DVD disk.

Have you tried using FATXplorer on your PC to look at the drive?

When your Xbox is giving error 7, 9 that means it can not see the contents on the drive and I have had that error before and it was a bad 12 volt supply (yellow wire) to the hard drive.

If it was a locking issue the you would have error 5 or 6 on your Xbox.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.