OGXbox.com

A Fresh Idea On the Clock Cap?

sh0rtlife

siting here running updates, with dave as my co-pilot, ive been thinking about permanent solutions, not just long term but something we can do once and never muck with it again, and yes im fully aware we can network out and get time untill something changes a site goes dead or we live with a wrong clock.....

so the obvious one to me would be to run a set of wires off the clock cap pins out the back of the box and do an external battery backup mounted between the AV and the cat5, but..lets face it, how longs it going to last?, how long would it take to charge?..theres ALOT of variables and too much chance for a dead clock that needs reset

me personaly i keep ALL of my vintage consoles on a switch box so that their bricks and power boards dont EVER see voltage unless they are in use, to preserve caps, boards and bricks, and heaven forbid..a power surge of some kind that manages to get past my ups, i figure setup like that my consoles should out live me..i hope, for the guys that dont unplug or kill power, you just replace the cap, or go with a small battery

but its got me thinking about not only the xbox but any other unit with a clock cap that could be without power for weeks...months....lets face it we never know what life throws at us

so what do we know, ..its a 2.5v cap...but what amps?..if we were to run 2 wires and add a port to the back of the box we should be able to add some manner of small wall wort brick and step down the amps/volts, heck you could use the same wall wort to keep clock voltage on multiple consoles depending on how they are displayed...im not just thinking the X  but any/all systems

anyway its an idea im tossing out there however dumb it may sound at the moment

55 minutes ago, sh0rtlife said:

so what do we know, ..its a 2.5v cap...but what amps?

It's 2,5V but it gets 2,7V from the circuit so it's better to replace it with an 2,7v one. But at least it will last another 20+ years.  Or you could use a NiMH 2,4v or NiMH 3v accu and a resistor (so it will output around 2,5v).

Little joke : A more perma solution would be a nice tiny solar panel. Then you have around 30+ years. ;)

2 hours ago, sh0rtlife said:

siting here running updates, with dave as my co-pilot, ive been thinking about permanent solutions, not just long term but something we can do once and never muck with it again, and yes im fully aware we can network out and get time untill something changes a site goes dead or we live with a wrong clock.....

so the obvious one to me would be to run a set of wires off the clock cap pins out the back of the box and do an external battery backup mounted between the AV and the cat5, but..lets face it, how longs it going to last?, how long would it take to charge?..theres ALOT of variables and too much chance for a dead clock that needs reset

me personaly i keep ALL of my vintage consoles on a switch box so that their bricks and power boards dont EVER see voltage unless they are in use, to preserve caps, boards and bricks, and heaven forbid..a power surge of some kind that manages to get past my ups, i figure setup like that my consoles should out live me..i hope, for the guys that dont unplug or kill power, you just replace the cap, or go with a small battery

but its got me thinking about not only the xbox but any other unit with a clock cap that could be without power for weeks...months....lets face it we never know what life throws at us

so what do we know, ..its a 2.5v cap...but what amps?..if we were to run 2 wires and add a port to the back of the box we should be able to add some manner of small wall wort brick and step down the amps/volts, heck you could use the same wall wort to keep clock voltage on multiple consoles depending on how they are displayed...im not just thinking the X  but any/all systems

If you want something you can do once and never muck with it again... just remove it and clean up the electrolyte it left behind. 
That's it. You don't need it or a battery. 

• Like 3

You could replace the super cap(clock cap) with a 2f 2.5 volt.

My experience with supercaps is not good, The 1st Xbox I saw with trace damage from a leaking cap was 16 years ago,

I have a home assembled nixie clock that has a 1f2.5v supercap and under 5 years later it failed I have also fixed several 5 year old panel heaters the have supercaps that failed and not to mention the countless Philips car audio units with trace damage from a leaking supercaps.

In my view the Supercap was made as a failure point so people will purchase a new unit.

I am like Admin just remove the cap and ensure the Xbox is connected to your home network and the clock is updated automatically each time it boots

If you really want battery backup for the clock I would suggest a rear mounted coin cell holder with a CR2032 with a 1n4001 diode in series with the B+ to prevent the Xbox tring to charge it, You will just need to change it regularly.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sh0rtlife said:

You’ve got way to much time on your hands!😀

On 8/16/2020 at 4:25 AM, Ging3rguy said:

You’ve got way to much time on your hands!😀

i often build cars from almost scratch, so ..its not so much too much time so much as too much ingenuity and problem solving...i see a known problem and look for a permanent fix thats "easily serviced

dave what about instead of just a slim cell out back it was a lipo cell that the x COULD charge, thus it should be able to be unpluged for extended periods and the x could charge it as needed, it would need a BEC on it from a high end rc car but those are dirt cheep, this would cut the voltage of over/under volt

I have thought of a Lir2032 as that's a rechargeable cell but because it's a 3.2 volt cell and the Xbox clock cap charges at 2.4 volt it would never charge correctly.

You could build a charging circuit and use the 3.3 standby to charge a standby cell and then a voltage reg to reduce that to 2.4 volt but without knowing what voltage the Xbox resets it may not be any better than no clock cap.

If the short time and date retention is needed then replace. the clock cap with a new 1 or 2 farad super cap.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.