OGXbox.com

How To Make Multigame Dvd's

technoob

So, I have 5 games which fit a 4.7GB DVD disc.

Problem1 : some files are wmv  (yep, normal wmv videos which even my computer can play) so they can be compressed / converted to lower formats. My question about them is: will it "break" the game if I compress them (I mean, will the game display the usual "your disc is broken" message, making the game crash?) or can they even be replaced (example: same file format, different name?)

Problem2 : the only program I know to make a XISO with them is c-xboxtool205 . What do I have to choose : MenuX  or MXM options ? Once the ISO file is done, can I just burn it with Imgburn to make it work on the Xbox or do I have to patch it somehow with other programs?

Problem3 : if I succeed making such DVD, what will happen if I want to transfer the games to the HD of the Xbox ? Will DVD2xbox utility merge all games into ones ... or can I just use the File Manager to copy the folders manually ?

Thank you all for any response, I know it sounds pretty complex, but I just want to waste no DVD's as they're pretty expensive here.

Edited by technoob

I know about that, but my Xbox is in another room than my PC so I can't transfer files via FTP.

Also the purpose of the DVD is both backup / playable disc ...   so in case the HD screws up, I still have the disc, you know ( i remember I've already answered this question before, in another thread :S ).

It's no problem to me to burn a DVD, but I need to know specifically the answers to my questions so I can figure things out better for further interactions with ISO's and discs... and also to understand such programs better. If anyone can answer my questions, I'd be really grateful, thank you.

Edited by technoob

19 minutes ago, technoob said:

I know about that, but my Xbox is in another room than my PC so I can't transfer files via FTP.

Also the purpose of the DVD is both backup / playable disc ...   so in case the HD screws up, I still have the disc, you know ( i remember I've already answered this question before, in another thread :S ).

It's no problem to me to burn a DVD, but I need to know specifically the answers to my questions so I can figure things out better for further interactions with ISO's and discs... and also to understand such programs better. If anyone can answer my questions, I'd be really grateful, thank you.

The Xbox doesn't have to be in the same room to be able to FTP to it.  Connect it to your home network and FTP to it!

Use MediaXMenu (MXM), https://downloads.diodematrix.com/homebrew/xbins/Console Based Applications/apps/dashboards/mediaxmenu/, to create a multi game/app disc with menu select which one you want to run.

Edit: There are a few other possible multi-game menu systems that could be used.  They are listed here:

https://downloads.diodematrix.com/homebrew/xbins/Console Based Applications/apps/multi-game menus/

1 hour ago, KaosEngineer said:

The Xbox doesn't have to be in the same room to be able to FTP to it.  Connect it to your home network and FTP to it!

Use MediaXMenu (MXM), https://downloads.diodematrix.com/homebrew/xbins/Console Based Applications/apps/dashboards/mediaxmenu/, to create a multi game/app disc with menu select which one you want to run.

Edit: There are a few other possible multi-game menu systems that could be used.  They are listed here:

https://downloads.diodematrix.com/homebrew/xbins/Console Based Applications/apps/multi-game menus/

I have no home network, therefore there's no way beside moving the Xbox to where the PC is or viceversa... and that's a lot of problem, that's why I wanted to use a DVD so I could have both a way to transfer files and a backup source.

I'm not looking for further programs, I want to understand how to work with the ones I already have. For example

c-xboxtool205

seems to do the job well, as regards making the ISO's, but I'm not really sure how the DVD will launch on Slayers2.7 dashboard or in the file manager (as I want the DVD to be both launchable/playable AND explorable/copiable to the HD of the Xbox).

So if anyone has experience about the problems I talked about on the first post, or if anyone can actually answer to them, that would be great! :)

I'll re-write them so they're more understandable:

1. Does converting/compressing video format corrupts the readability/functionality of a game ? Example: if I lower the quality of a movie, will it make the game crash ? I'm asking this because all the files exceed 100mb the size of the DVD, so I can just "shrink" some videos, but I don't know if this will make the game crash (example: if the game checks file-size, not just the name and format)

2. If I want a playable multigame DVD iso, using c-xboxtool205  , what's the difference between MenuX and MXM ?  Once the ISO it's made, can it be burnt directly with Imgburn ?

3. Once the multigame type is selected, iso made and burnt on DVD, will files be explorable ? Will DVD2Xbox rip them all in a single voice (in the game selector) or do I have to use the File Manager to copy the games manually (each game folder one by one) ? How they will look like on screen, will the menu show a list? Will the games be ordered in folders exactly like I add them on the c-xboxtool205 list ?

Edited by technoob

I do not see there is much point to creating a multi-game disc.

Most Xbox games sizes mean that you simply can not fit two games on one disc. Of course you could use DL discs but they're more expensive and if your Xbox DVD drive doesn't like the disc media what are you going to do?

What Xbox DVD drive does it have ie. Philips, Thomson, Samsung (605B or 605F), Hitachi?

There is a possibility in some cases that it is OK with DVD-RW and even if all you have that works is DVD-R in the time it takes to install a game from disc using DVD2Xbox you could burn the next game and be ready to load/install that when its finished.

I understand the problem - I can't have a Xbox permanently networked either and it takes 5 mins to set it up initially what with fiddling about behind the TV swapping over the cable to the Xbox and the router the other end etc.

I've timed it and I can actually burn a XISO (no verification) and have it installed on the HDD from disc in less time than it takes me to set up FTP,  extract the content from the XISO and FTP the content to the Xbox. That's assuming there are not 'failed to transfer' files I have to re-queue too and you also have to add some more time using DVD2Xbox to ACL patch it as well.  So an install from disc actually can be faster. 

49 minutes ago, HDShadow said:

I do not see there is much point to creating a multi-game disc.

Most Xbox games sizes mean that you simply can not fit two games on one disc. Of course you could use DL discs but they're more expensive and if your Xbox DVD drive doesn't like the disc media what are you going to do?

Well,  the point (I've explained 3 times already, lol) is that I want both a way to transfer contents and a way to backup them. It's my personal worry, so it's ok if it's not understood, afterall direct FTP transfer is simpler (but not in this case, unfortunely).

Actually, some games can really fit one DVD or even one CD, it depends on their size and the way how their contents are compressed (especially videos which sometimes can be like reduced to 0.4% of their size, if there's no worry about quality). Luckily I've found the ones which were small enought to fit one DVD (but I've seen some even smaller than the ones I got)... while I know most games are huge and some of them even require a dual layer.. in that case I think I'll just backup them in zipped formats.

-------

Anyway, update: problem solved.

I burned the XISO that I've made with c-xboxtool205, it runs well (nice launcher, btw), it can also be ripped with DVD2Xbox but it's all inside one folder ( I guess I can move the contents one by one if I want to select them separately).

Also the compression of wmv files worked... but videos show really corrupted (not a big problem anyway, what matters is the gameplay afterall).

thanks anyway you all, I was just afraid to try it myself , hopefully no DVD's were wasted, lol...

Edited by technoob