OGXbox.com

Question About an Unlocked Hdd?

bulkchart32

Error 05 - HDD not locked.

But why should give it a error at all? I don't have experiences with softmods but, as long as it's the same drive and same softmod ect. the box should boot up without problems since no MS-Dash is loading right?

So i would guess that the box has a nother issue. But again, i have no experiences with softmods just do it ones for the TOSP falsh without problems.

And you could easily build your self a Eeprom reader for some cents and read the eeprom from the xbox.

EDIT : Oh Dave was faster. Isn't there no night in australia?

EDIT 2 : Googled it. Just ~ 5pm there. So you can stay up a little longer. :D;)

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny

2 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Oh Dave was faster. Isn't there no night in australia?

It's currently 5pm and I just got home from fixing motorbikes.

A soft modded Xbox has to boot from the M$ bios 1st and that requires the HDD be locked and the DVD drive be present then it gets handed over to the hacked software.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

So i have to admit that i learned something. 

I never really got into softmodding except for the one TOSP and just a moment after the softmod was done and the TOSP was flashed, the softmode was gone. :D

Only my old PS2 fat has the FHDB boot (softmod) on it. But i'm better not telling about other consoles here. They are all sins. :D;)

1 hour ago, bulkchart32 said:

if i bought a xbox that someone had softmodded and then unlocked the hdd and forgot to re-lock it before powering down, what error code would it give?

If it is unlocked try using fatxplorer and see if they did a backup of the eeprom/hdd key, if so you could use xboxhdm to lock it or use another chipped Xbox to check the files by booting to an install disk and using file explorer.

Edited by Ging3rguy

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

Probably error 5

I would fit a mod chip and then lock the drive then you can remove the chip

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

it's an xbox i bought a while back. it has an error 7 that i couldn't resolve so i have been using it for parts. i'm just brainstorming what could have been wrong with it. i tried a different ide cable but it had no effect. will a bad hdd can an error 7?

Service Error 07:
Info: Hard Disk timeout.
Solution: Check the IDE Connection/Cable and check the Power Supply.

That could be the hard drive itself the IDE cable or the 12 volt supply to the HDD (yellow wire ) the DVD drive upsetting the HDD by the HDD been set as a slave.

I have had some where the 12 volt to the HDD in the 4 pin molex plug has come loose.

What error comes up with no drives and with HDD only,DVD only?

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Service Error 07:
Info: Hard Disk timeout.
Solution: Check the IDE Connection/Cable and check the Power Supply.

That could be the hard drive itself the IDE cable or the 12 volt supply to the HDD (yellow wire ) the DVD drive upsetting the HDD by the HDD been set as a slave.

I have had some where the 12 volt to the HDD in the 4 pin molex plug has come loose.

What error comes up with no drives and with HDD only,DVD only?

Cheers

SS Dave

i don't remember if i ever tried it with dvd and no hdd. i always got a code 7 regardless of what i did.

A bad 12 volt supply could cause that as the PCB on the hard drive is working from the 5 volt but the platters are not spinning because they are powered from the 12 volt

On a Xbox the 12 volt supply is to run the Fan/Fans and the HDD only.

Cheers

SS Dave